Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

My comp is showing its age + X-Mas = New SE rig?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hazee Daze, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hazee Daze Trainee Engineer

Hiya,

Any suggestions for a rig optimized for SE?

Thanks!

HD

2. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Don;t build a PC for just one game ...but build for what modern games in general are going to call for.

what ..exactly.. depends on your budget.

Go for 16Gb of RAM ... and a decent graphics card. I run a 1060, and have found it good. I can't afford a 1080. I also much prefer Nvidia Gfx cards over AMD ones, but that is personal preference. CPU wise...4 cores or more. Don;t skimp on a motherboard either. I see lots of people agonising over a CPU, then look at cheap motherboards after they blew their budget on a CPU. A motherboard ties your whole system together.
    Also...best thing I did with my current irg is sticking windows on an SSD on it's own. I got old style media for bulk storage...but windows is on it's own seperate drive. Reduces boot time a lot. Nothing else gets installed on that drive.

I use PC Part Picker to sketch out a build, as it helps with power requirements, costs and compatability.

3. odizzido Junior Engineer

I would get two sticks of 8gigs so you can get another 16 if you want.

On my current computer I started with 4gigs and have since upgraded to 8 but now again it's not enough but I am out of slots and replacing all of it is not worth it.

I would suggest you check out sites like pcper or techreport to see how things are hardware wise. I personally use amd, Intel, and nvidia hardware and find them all fine. Nvidia has been annoying me recently with their refusal to support things like adaptive sync, though they may be forced to with the new HDMI spec.

4. Hazee Daze Trainee Engineer

Thanks FlakMagnet and odizzido.

Wondering about people who are really happy with their rigs for SE though.

Flak, you wrote:

> Don't build a PC for just one game ...

I hear you, but I figure getting one that'll play SE at high capacity would be good for most any other game.

My current rig is coughing blood when I get 6 refs, 15 assemblers going with lots of other ships and mods. When I turn on all the GPS signals my system grinds to a painful play for 5 seconds and then wait for 2 minutes. Ugh.

5. Aracus Senior Engineer

^--This! :woot:
    I did the same, loaded up on a then high end processor and 32GB of ram and a not top-end but good GPU with lots of GPU RAM, figure anything that is strong enough to run a ridiculous game of SE is overkill for most everything else.

6. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

My main monitor is a 24" panel, with a 1ms response. I use a 6Mb 1060 Gigabyte Windforce card...which has actually gone up in price by £40 since I bought it last year! The bigger the monitor...the harder the card will have to work for the same result.
    CPU wise, it's an old i5 4690 with 16Gb of DDR3. I built the rig a few years back and it is still holding up well. I run a good AIO liquid cooling unit to keep temps down on the CPU as I find SE does give it a good workout. Offline...it runs the game very well. Online...well...it isn't my PC that gives issues.

I looked at upgrading the thing this year, but realised I would have to spend £1000 to get anything noticeably better .... and that was keeping the drives, case, GFx card and PSU as well as my cooling. I don;t have that sort of money to spend right now, and I am waiting to see how the current crop of AMD processors and Intel stuff all pans out. I have preferred Intel up till now, but with both sides throwing a lot of new stuff out, I am waiting to see.

My philosophy has always been to buy high quality budget....and avoid the cutting edge stuff. Buy it 12 months after it was 'the best thing ever' and it's still good.....just about half the price!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

16-32GB RAM
    1060-1080 nVidia card
    i7 (as fast as you can afford to buy)

four physical cores should be enough, so you don't really need a 6 or 8 core i7. You could try the i9 family for future proofing... but if it's a gaming rig it shouldn't really matter much. I don't think SE will use more than four cores... but Keen is starting to sprawl and push different tasks into different threads.

You may want to try liquid cooling. You can buy all-in-one self-contained units that will last a few years. If you go this route, you can overclock your CPU. Processor speed is more important than core-count.

8. Hazee Daze Trainee Engineer

I don't over-clock as a matter of policy, but probably could optimise better. Haven't dl'd drivers in forevers.

FlakMagnet, you nailed it: I'm running two older G-Force 5 series, but SE doesn't support dual graphics cards, right?

Sigh.

Oh yeah, does the low monitor response help a lot?
    --- Automerge ---
    Thank you Ronin1973--that's exactly what I'm looking for.

> Processor speed is more important than core-count.
    Ahhh, ok...I can prolly bump my processor speed some. Cool.

9. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I had an older panel with a slower refresh rate, and it tended to 'ghost'. Personally...I found it annoying. When I replaced it, I went for a higher refresh rate. Anything tagged as a 'gamer' screen should be sub 5ms anyway. I went from a 19" widescreen to a 24" and upgraded my old 660GTX for a 1060.

10. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

I'm having similar issues and have been thinking of upgrading my current rig for a new one.

My current rig is i5-2500k, 16GB and 980GTX which I built close to when the CPU was released, it's served well and is currently clocked at 4.3Ghz but still slows down in SE and other games.

Been looking at a new i7-8700k to replace it, it's nearly £100 more than the 7700K but if it lasts like the old one did then it's only an extra £20 per year. For RAM was looking at 2x8GB (DDR4-2400MHz C14) to leave the other slots free, but for a little bit more £240 vs £225 you can get 4x8GB (DDR4-2666MHz C15). It's slower RAM but I doubt the difference will be noticed unless I was to spend a fortune on a 1080Ti GTX, and the extra headroom the 32GB should give you over 16GB would be nice. I like to push the amount of RAM because I currently run three monitors and have plenty of windows open at most times.

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You'll have issues with an i5 IF you're running a bunch of stuff in the background along side Space Engineers. i5s don't support hyperthreading (except maybe the most recent releases). That means you have 4 physical cores and that's it. The older i5s may bottle-neck with its L2 and L3 caches. Space Engineers is very instruction heavy. The bigger the caches, the more information that can be kept in the faster caches rather than your memory sticks (faster computation of this that are being constantly calculated). Your clock speed is pretty good at 4.3Ghz, so you're probably running into issues with having multiple applications open and bottlenecking at the cache level.

12. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I just upgraded one of my rigs with a Ryzen 1600, X370 motherboard, 16Gb DDR4-3200 stick (when prices come back down, I will grab another one for 32, and still have 2 slots open). Ended up being less than $400, kept the 8 GB RX480 and all drives and the case (I love my HAF case, so much air flow). It's not the "ideal" gaming rig, everyone recommends Intel, but for the what I do this was the best bang for the buck configuration. It runs SE and all of my other games like a champ compared to the old FX8350 processor I had, and the CPU really shines when I throw applications at it that utilize all of the cores and threads (like Inventor, SolidWorks, etc.)

The moral of the story is: build a rig that suits your needs, not just SE's ;)

13. odizzido Junior Engineer

Eh, ryzen does alright in games. Plus you have to look at the total cost of an upgrade. Intel doesn't ship heatsinks with a lot of their products anymore and I beleive amd made some design decisions which lowered how much it would cost motherboard makers to make boards for their products.

I'd check out ryzen 5, an i5, and an i7 comparing total cost vs performance if I were upgrading my system.

14. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

That's exactly why I went with the Ryzen processor I went with. Came with a decent cooler, and the cost for it plus one of the better motherboards was less than going with a comparable Intel i5 & lower end mobo. Considering it's for 1080p gaming, the Ryzen is more than capable and has better performance in my CAD and graphics stuff. It'll be a few frames slower than Intel on average, but I can live with it.

It's all about balancing wants, needs, and budget.

15. chrisb Senior Engineer

OP, hope you get what you want. Its exciting to be building a pc at any time.. But Christmas... Even better..:tu:

16. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

My plan at some point in the future is to replace my centre monitor with a 4k 40inch and rotate the outer two 27's to make a massive desktop so want to look ahead with the PC, the measurements seem to line up fairly well.

My problem with AMD is that they always seem to produce kit that is nearly as good as the current Intel/Nvidia offerings for a little less cost, which is good but I'm not sure a 2011 era AMD CPU would be keeping up with modern games as well as my old i5-2500k which I bought at the same time does now.

I've been looking at the price difference between the i5 vs i7 and think I'd rather spend the extra cash now and then wring every last bit out of my next PC for as long as possible, but it's still damn frightening to know when to finally pull the trigger and spend the money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. odizzido Junior Engineer

You can keep hardware for a long time these days. I have an i5 750 from 2009 and it still runs everything alright. It is starting to be a little inadequate these days, a lot of the time simply because I run out of cores.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.