Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

My First Attempt at a Promotional Video For A Ship

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by FireGuy1996, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

I figured I would try my hand at some video editing considering its been quite some time since I've tried my hand at it.

This is just a little promotional video I threw together for one of my Halo ships. Used a controller for the camera and threw in some extra sound effects. I had some slight stuttering problems with Nvidia Shadowplay but not enough to ruin the video.

The soundtrack is a edited down version of Osiris Suite Act I from Halo 5 Guardians

Link to the ship: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=913975903
    Let me know what you all think!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

A little jumpy in a couple of spots, but overall very impressive.

Your ship is on point! I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask what parts are not 'vanilla' (especially in the interior).

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The retro sounding sound effects do not add anything to the experience; the bleeps and bloops. The tour is better without them.

Once I hear the launch of the missile towards the enemy ship, I'm waiting to hear the explosion. It never comes. Once you break the plane into hearing things make noise in a world, then there's an expectation.

Be careful with NVidia's Shadow Play. It records at a variable frame rate in order to save space and processing power. That's not a big deal. But certain video editors don't natively accept variable frame rate video. They just lay down each frame at the selected frame rate and desync it with any audio. Depending on the variation in frame rate, you will get stuttering as a 5FPS section now plays out in 1/6th of a second (assuming 30FPS). If you're using Shadow Play for a video you're going to edit, it's best to run it through software like HandBrake, that can convert it to a static frame rate.

4. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

The MAC cannon only has a firing sound effect, but not any sort of an impact\explosion effect in game. With all the added sound effects I put into the video, I guess an explosion should have been one of them. I was skeptical about the added effects to begin with., so its no surprise that they did nothing for the video.

I'll try your conversion method with Nvidia shadowplay. Its odd because I haven't had any recording issues with other games, just Space Engineers. If I can get shadowplay fixed, I'll try another program like FRAPS.

The only parts of the ship that use mods are the weapons and the UNSC emblem on the side, plus the Automatic LCD script for the displays. The entire ship itself is fully Vanilla, even the bridge. That's nothing more than a small grid attached to a large grid via a connector.

5. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

I subscribed your ship and brought it into my game, and it is BEAUTIFUL! Walking through the decks made everything fit just right. It's what my ship wants to be like when it grows up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

Glad you like it!

7. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Interesting though, there appeared to be a few leaking airlocks registering on the bridge (facing forward - screen on the right side) but I couldn't find any. I'm still looking around though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

I'm taking a look around as well, and so far I haven't seen any. I can't remember if maybe I used a few semi-constructed ones around the ship somewhere but everything seems to be airtight. Could also be a bug in the LDC's.

9. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Are you seeing the message alerts on the screen though? I'll take a screenshot of it Monday if you haven't.

10. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Here you go.

11. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

Thanks for those, I'll take a look when I can but last time I checked every area of the ship had pressure. I'll search around and see what I can find.

12. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

I guess there's no rush. Still building my ships as well.

13. damoran Junior Engineer

Great work!

Love the pans and the sound effects. Keep em coming

• Like Like x 1
  14. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

One of my favorite parts of building a ship is actually recording a video for it. I've made a lot, and your first effort made them all look bush league. I'm impressed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

Don't get yourself down! I took a couple of video editing and production classes back in High School so that definitely gave me a boost for doing something like this. I used to remix movie trailers and such and came out with a few good ones but never really went big on publishing them to YouTube. This is the first video I've done that I've actually "filmed" my own footage in a game to make a production. It also doesn't help that something is bottlenecking my computer and causing some gameplay issues. Someone on YouTube did a "death test" with this ship and he was running it FAR better on his computer than it was running on mine. Easily over 100FPS.

Myself, unless I disable shadows I'm down to at the highest 30 FPS. I asked the guy who made the video what his specs are and he said he was running an Intel i7 with a GTX 980TI which is actually lower than my PC, and hes able to run it better? I've got a AMD FX8350 8 Core and a GTX 1060, so I'm guessing that Intel processor is giving him a hell of an advantage.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

Thanks. I'm not putting my work down, my videos are pretty legit. Your action shots and polish are just top notch though. All you need is to join the i7 club and get those frame rates up!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Which program do either of you use for recording?

18. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

When I'm doing a full scale project, I use a combination of Adobe After Effects and Adobe Audition for doing special effects, Adobe Photoshop for making title and credit screens and for editing things together, its a toss up of either Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere. I haven't figured out which program I like to use better. Sony Vegas is a little more user friendly but Adobe Premiere is a lot more powerful for sure, but has a pretty large learning curve.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.