Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

My First Castle (Share Your First Castles Too!)

Discussion in 'General' started by Xocliw, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

MY FIRST CASTLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87z58s74qFI

In this video, I show the construction of my first castle in Medieval Engineers with time-lapse photography. I'm pretty pleased with the location I chose for the castle too. It's going to be very fun to defend from barbarians and rival factions in the future...
    The castle took me a while to build but that was partly due to me still discovering what blocks were available to me. I hope to fit with a mechanical gate among other things.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  2. Serp403 Trainee Engineer

Very cool Castle, Looks great!

3. LostElement Apprentice Engineer

Very nice, very nice indeed. I'm interested to see what the resource gathering is like.

4. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Pretty good. Forcing the enemy up that path is a smart move. I'd capitalize on it by having a walkway type thing over the path only accessible via the keep to trigger various traps on intruders. You can also switch out some of the lower catapults with more accurate ballista for more precise firing on the plains below. One problem I can see is getting resources up. That will truly be a pain.

5. Shuamann1 Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately, there isn't going to be resource gathering initially. :(

6. Spleenslitta Trainee Engineer

He could make a crane on one of the turrets near the cliff. But it should be able to lift a wooden platform filled with supplies so....

....It should be like a one of those window washer platforms you see on skyskrapers but more sturdy.
    He could have the winches located on the platform itself instead of the crane so he doesn''t have to load the platform, run up to the castle and winch it up from there.

The winches could be connected through shafts and gears.
    It should be possible to have 4 winches as long as the gears are all of the same size to make the winches pull evenly.

7. MechanizedIT Apprentice Engineer

I think you should dig a big wide hole in the courtyard and mine down to the level of the terrain below and have an entrance leading out of the side of the cliff, and an elevator. Then dig out a large 'moat' on the path leading in to the castle and add a draw bridge.

8. Spleenslitta Trainee Engineer

Good idea. An elevator inside the cliff coming out in the courtyard.

If the winches are on the elevator he can get out in different "floors" to mine.
    But if each "floor" can support wooden poles with pegs in them going all the way down the elevatorshaft....
    These pegs will allow the elevator to use cogs to go up and down instead of ropes.

It should be able to lift higher loads this way.

9. waterlimon Senior Engineer

There should be a way to get to the top of the mountain in case enemies try to climb over it and attack from above.

10. jdorp18 Trainee Engineer

Maybe a small outpost with a tunnel to the main castle.? ofcourse good defended.

11. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

These are all very good suggestions :). I got some work to do it seems!

12. Spleenslitta Trainee Engineer

If you make that elevator please make a video of it. Not just of the successfull elevator but the spectacular failures too.
    Please...?

13. Mishka Junior Engineer

You just want to see the world burn! :D

14. Spleenslitta Trainee Engineer

15. cedi Apprentice Engineer

With humans that is a honoured tradition.

16. Martinineter Senior Engineer

And fun, don't forget fun!

17. waterlimon Senior Engineer

I have to admit I was dissapointed when I realized its not going to be a 20 blocks tall giant fortress that required in depth research on how structural integrity works to not crumble down the cliff :p

18. Mishka Junior Engineer

That is an issue you get when building dungeons, ensuring the structure above has enough support and wont just crush the victims in the dungeon.

19. Sofa Apprentice Engineer

"You got like a two-weeks' wait with other stuff to focus on; try not to get hyped over this game", I tell myself, watching this video and getting hyped over this game.

20. ubentobox Trainee Engineer

The idea with the elevator setup is a good one, specifically the idea about mine shafts or lower attack balconies. It would be important to defend UNDER your cliff. If someone is laying siege to your castle, you don't want them to undermine you.

I thought about an idea of building a pocket platform setup similar to a moat but behind your castle gate doors. If intruders every managed to breach the gate, you could effectively launch catapults or ballista where the firing height is about waist height on a person. You in essence would fire a mass casualty weapon directly into the group large enough to break your door down.

Placing it in front of the door or firing before they are clustered together to assault the door gives an opportunity for it to be disabled before they have collected in a group together enough to be effective. Put it behind the door, and once the door is breached, fire them off. The group would be bowled over or skewered like meat on a grill.

:) That and if a morbid plugin is ever created, you have pre-skewered bodies on a pole to decorate your castle walls..

LOL

21. Sofa Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

22. ubentobox Trainee Engineer

Mmmmmmmmm.... Yeah..

Ok ... now I want a hot oil pit right above the ballista...

23. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Hehehehehe :thumb:.

24. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

I think I'm going to change this thread into "everyones first castle". It could be interesting to see how people's first attempts turn out ;).

25. Legofreak Apprentice Engineer

from the look of how hard it is to put a roof on something, I'm gonna guess that everyone's first castle is going to look like a pile of rubble.

26. Martinineter Senior Engineer

+1, sounds like the truth

27. jokernthief Trainee Engineer

How do u fix the camera in the air, so u can make pictures or a video while building?

Would be nice to have all first castles vlogged in timelaps or stop motion pictures in this thread! *___*
    And of course all the castles crumbling and be rebuilt! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  28. Conradian Moderator

Seems like spectator mode, just like what we have in SE.

29. ubentobox Trainee Engineer

Yeah but does that take two accounts?

30. jdorp18 Trainee Engineer

When can we expect your next video? btw i subscribed to your youtube channel, great video.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.