Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

My First Castle (Share Your First Castles Too!)

Discussion in 'General' started by Xocliw, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Even more great castles :cool:! Cool to see a video tour too :).

2. Vorilljvolkhan Trainee Engineer

And here I am, casually working my way through a Mayan city...
    Currently makin' dat temple thoe. Will be one of many (expanding it into the mountain in the back, will have a large hall within).
    [​IMG]

3. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Would be cool, but I don't know how to do a video walkthrough. I can post the workshop link though. It doesn't have any of the more mechanical contraptions yet though. I'm both waiting on more blocks and until I figure out more how to do some of the things I want to do which are tricky because of its position.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=396001675

4. cedi Apprentice Engineer

Uhh that Mayan temple looks nice.

[​IMG]

I'm ready for the barbarians :D.

5. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

as a fellow inquisitor i greet you with joy, and man... thatn looks like a lot of effort... but the defensibility is rocketing through the sky :) well done.

6. Forgemasterhd Junior Engineer

But what do you do when the barbarians simply walk up the mountainside?

7. cedi Apprentice Engineer

Easy, I've got a bunch of boulders up there ;). I always wanted to play barbarian bowling.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  8. Medknight Trainee Engineer

Wow... some really nice castles. Of course I have to find this game just after my weekend is over !!
    How do you get to build these large castles and not get overwhelmed.

9. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Cool Mayan stuff :thumb:! And that's a pretty long mountain staircase you got there cedi ;). Just wondering, is it actually possible to walk up that mountain? I realise that currently, it's possible to walk up unrealistically steep slopes.

10. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Building castles is easy if you don't build too high. Building contraptions is the hard part.

I've just gotten my ballista reliably functional, but its still lacking in range and I need to keep working on the x,y aiming system.

Plus, making non drawbridge gates is a pain.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  11. VilniusNastavnik Apprentice Engineer

Don't mind me, just lurking until I find some time to actually get on add build something.
    The plan however, is to build this. Well, the front half anyway, will be an entrance to a dwarven mine of sorts with the castle build into the mountain.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  12. Skurkanas Trainee Engineer

Starting on a mountain, I soon felt that my castle would look kinda lost up there. So i built a city around it. Took me forever but I'm pretty happy with the result :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it is still WIP though, so if you have any ideas for how to fill the upper courtyards, do tell

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  13. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Wow Skurkanas! Is that on the workshop? It looks incredible and has lot of attention to detail :thumb:. It's definitely one of the best settlements I've seen so far :)!

14. Skurkanas Trainee Engineer

Thanks a lot!

It's not on the workshop (yet) due to being WIP. In addition to the upper courtyards, a lot of the furnishing is still undone (because you can only do so much with a bed, a chair and a table :D)

15. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

Looks awesome shurkanas, maybe an idea to put some market stands in the courtyard.

16. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Dayum, that is impressive. puts my mountain keep to shame. Only way mine could even approach yours is size is if yours is all above ground. Even then that would just close the gap, you'd still be at least close to 2x my size.

Also, vilnius. What game is that?

17. Skurkanas Trainee Engineer

Thank you!

I had some spare time today so I continued working on the remaining platforms. Made a fencing area with rotating fencing-dummys among other things. Don't want to spam this thread though, so check my dedicated Thread in the Castle section for more pics :)

18. Skurkanas Trainee Engineer

Uploaded it to the Steam Workshop now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398725923

[​IMG]

19. Xilithus Trainee Engineer

Hey.
    I thought I should probably show off my "Dreadfort" even though it looks like a cripple.
    ...nothing versus cripples. <,<
    [​IMG]

20. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

I will check it out Skurkanas :).

Your castle is looking great too Xilithus! Also, welcome to the forums :cool:.

21. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Well now I feel bad for having insufficiently impressive castles.

To do over the weekend: Build a multilevel, map spanning complex with housing for 100 players and 6 months worth of rations.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
  22. Namdoolb Apprentice Engineer

Technically not my first castle.... (My first one is up on the workshop & I'm not really too fond of it)

But it's my second castle if that counts :)

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/543019573402589818/0FD4A8F2F4E083F1B8C978B55EA3F90AAA452908/

Obviously still in progress at the moment.
    The walls are mostly done, I just need to do the interior on a couple of the towers. The keep is ...in progress.
    And obviously I need to populate the courtyard with various structures.

Entry to the castle will be over a drawbridge, and through a gatehouse which will have either a portcullis or a big honking door (maybe both if I get a little ambitious).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  23. Xilithus Trainee Engineer

Thanks Xocliw, im still kind of not sure, how to get my photos from data itself a little bit smaller, they are like 120k each one D:<
    Otherwise I would have shown off my now "not so WIP anymore" in progress thing.

24. Wintersend Senior Engineer

I was building an addition to my castle and I think I may have broken gravity. Not sure though so please hold off on the torches, pitchforks, and mildly uncomfortable chairs of sitting.

[​IMG]

That is a solid stone ceiling using the curved roof pieces. It is totally unsupported by pillars and is 6x7 at the base. And those are thin stone walls at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  25. jdorp18 Trainee Engineer

26. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

ahh no mildly uncomfortable chair of sitting :( how about the trebuchet of laughs then?

27. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Maybe, if you can prove that I actually defied gravity and that I didn't come up with some weird, mechanically correct building technique. Which would be awesome.

28. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

i expect SI is on? if not.. turn it on and we'll have our answer...

29. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Si is indeed on, here's the screenshot.

[​IMG]

30. ScriptyNoob Apprentice Engineer

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.