Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

My way of docking small ships to large ships/stations.

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Hatter, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hatter Apprentice Engineer

So friends I've seen a lot of people complain they can't dock etc.
    Well wheres your creativity?!
    This game is based on creativity! YOU GOTTA GET CREATIVE!
    So this is what I came up with till the game has a docking system.
    [​IMG]
    Hooks!
    You can make the hook of your ship the fit the rail then when you speed up etc your ship takes little to no damage.
    Back view
    [​IMG]
    Front view with the blocks that were removed replaced.
    [​IMG]
    This is an extremely ugly build but it's on my test world so pssht, looks don't matter here! :L
    This just shows how it can be used and implemented.
    This works for small ships docking with large ships.
    With this you can also dock with a moving ship.
    Accelerate up to it's speed, latch onto the pole with your hook and just sit on for the ride! I'm totally gonna be using this when multiplayer comes out! :D

2. zyphyer Trainee Engineer

I like it, haven't played much. But question; does this break the ships?

3. Danther Trainee Engineer

Nice inventive idea there :thumb:

4. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

This might not even be necessary when multi is implemented. Clever nonetheless. Except for the inherent problem of hooks, their open side. A maneuver might unlatch the ship. It would be kinda silly, depending on the style and design of your ship to have hooks on it. Again, still pretty clever.

All I keep imagining is someone from the 1950's coming home from work and hanging up their ship on the coat hanger. :woot:

5. Jakarius Trainee Engineer

I suppose you could fix the open side problem by making a closed hoop on the ship, leaving one side of the pole open and sliding the ship on sideways; replacing the end block afterward.

6. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

This may not be the best way to dock but it would be a great way to launch from a station. I've been working on launch systems for two days now. Currently I'm working up a rail sled that can throw slugs but I plan to use the concept for all kinds of things including launching fighters. Your hook use just helped me out there.

Thanks, Pal!

7. Chrome Trainee Engineer

I just ram into the station full speed and laugh. It's the most fun way to dock :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.