Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Need help with Rotors on the planets.

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by propagandawar, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. propagandawar Apprentice Engineer

I built a drill machine with pistons and cant get them to retract slow enough to make it useful. So I built what I thought was
    a better drill machine that dug into the ground using an Advanced Rotor. The problem is no matter what I can't get it to reverse it's position unless I do it manually which of course blows everything up. Is there a weight limit for rotors?

2. Sinbad Senior Engineer

Can you give us some more detail? How exactly are you using the rotor physically, how are you controling it?

3. Hellothere! Apprentice Engineer

Rotors have a setting called torque. Torque is measured in Nm and calculated by multiplying the force at the end of a lever connected with the rotor in N with the length of the lever in m.
    [​IMG]
    This means that a rotor with 1Nm can apply 1N with a lever of 1m length, 0.5N at 2m and 0.25 at 4m etc. The force a rotor can lift is indeed limited by the torque setting.

From my own experience wit rotors on planets it is very probable that your rotor cannot apply enough torque to lift the drill out of the hole.
    Possible workarounds are:
    • Increase Rotor Torque - If your rotor is not set to maximum torque yet this is the first thing you should change. However since that rotors are set to full torque by default, you probably won't be able to increase it further.
    • Make the Drill Lighter - Kind of obvious, depends on your design.
    • Make the Arm Shorter - The weight a rotor can lift decreases with the length of the lever. Making the arm attached to the rotor shorter will increase the weight it can lift. However it will also decrease the drill depth.
    • Have Several Rotors Work Together - You can attach your arm to two or more rotors by merging stuff together with merge blocks, or detaching and attaching rotor heads. That way you can have several rotors share the weight of the arm.
    • Have a Piston Lift the Arm - This is the hardest to build, but also the most powerful solution. Pistons don't have a force limit and can in theory (unless you break them) lift infinite weight. See how the pistons move the excavator arm in the picture below? Recreating a similar design in Space engineers is hard, but it can lift immense weights if done.
    [​IMG]

4. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I can confirm the piston solution works, but you start running into radial force issues with the rotors with high levels of force. The rotor parts start to displace from the rotors sideways, and havok applies this really annoying elastic force to try to put them back. That is solved by using more than one rotor to spread the force over more rotors.
    You can get elasticity issues with pistons as well. A high external force can displace the piston head in all directions. Again havok applies the funkey elastic effect, making things bounce. That can also be countered by using more pistons. But don't stack them end to end as this will compound the issue.
    Have a look at this:

Its actuated by pistons (script controlled so we could use WASD and arrow keys and smooth out the motion better than the toolbar can)
    You can see some good examples on how to arrange the pistons and rotors in such a way that the elasticity is minimised.

5. JoeTheDestroyer Junior Engineer

Just checking, but perhaps you are not aware that if you control-click a slider you can type in an exact value?

I regularly run my pistons at speeds of 0.01m/s or slower using this.

Good list, here's another option:
    • Add a counter-balance weight on the other side of the arm

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I use similar speeds, but script controled.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.