Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New armour

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Vlad, Jul 30, 2016.

?

what kind of block is more important?

1. concrete blocks

2. wooden blocks

3. stealth blocks

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Vlad Trainee Engineer

with planets some long promissed features now are important and should bring à more "home" feeling to planets instead of àll being iron blocks.

hopefully ßome officiàl mods like modular medbay become vanilla.

concrete blocks to use àll thàt useless stone, plus it would make underground bases more realistic.
    wooden blocks to use all the useless wood
    stealth armour that turrets dont target, but its extremely fragile.

2. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

every one of those blocks is important. but wooden blocks because of YARRRR, LET'S FIND DA TREASURE PLANET

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vlad Trainee Engineer

and now for our next ship we have a ship made of concrete and instead of glass we have wood!

4. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I'm split between wood and concrete. stealth however does not exist.
    wood also is not really armour. but nevertheless.

5. Vlad Trainee Engineer

its more like decoration, or at least something that we could do with wood instead of trying to recreate those temples from hentai animes

6. SenorZorros Master Engineer

for me wood would be most useful as a cheap and reliable though limited construction material on planets. useful to quickly and cheaply make structures and bases.

also, now I want a bamboo bike.

7. Malware Master Engineer

I wouldn't mind even wooden interiors for certain ships/stations.

8. SenorZorros Master Engineer

well... I'd say that is a different category. we are talking about structural blocks which would mean you either get "blockhouse" or scaffolding. as interior you'd probably either want "executive sleek" or "trying to much to be a home". this would be better of as some kind of paneling instead of real structures.

that is, unless you want to have space vikings in which case I'd like to know the results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ViroMan Senior Engineer

aww sh*t son, we bringing in the minecraft feels now. Lets go chop down some pine wood for my stairs, deck, and roof.

ohh wait... this suggestion is moot without some tools to !!!PERMANENTLY!!! cut down wood.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Better get your chuck Norris game on like other games do.

11. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Chuck Norris got nothing on Steve. Steve can punch out a section of the tree and the tree will remain standing. Steve can SMASH diamonds together and make a CUBE of diamonds. Steve can die and then wake up in bed like it was a nightmare. Steve can go to not one but, TWO alternate dimensions. Steve is like the son of Mcgyver and Chuck Norris(obviously Mcgyver was the woman because he could figure out a way to do so).

• Like Like x 1
  12. DDP-158 Master Engineer

So that's why he sported the mullet.

13. ViroMan Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

14. Vlad Trainee Engineer

now this is strange, well back to space engineers, yes this would require new tool and a way to the game remembering what trees were destroyed.
    finally i will make the wastelands of alien planets to be my next executive office for mining corporation

15. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Concrete Blocks with a metal inner frame would be nice.

16. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Concrete would nice. would make a nice material for bases.

I wonder what a concrete missile would be like?

17. damoran Junior Engineer

concrete is a no-brainer. Cheap plentiful material to build roads, buildings, bunkers etc...plenty of rock everywhere (would make that slightly more valuable).

Seeing a 2.5 meter thick wood cube as building block would severely break emersion for me. Planks...ok, reinforced wood beams or fencing...ok, but still doesn't really fit with SE

Stealth blocks would also be nice but more of a "down the road" option imo, much more needed basics before this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Krougal Senior Engineer

WTF is stealth armor? Turrets already don't target armor, they turret blocks with computers.

19. Timotei~ Apprentice Engineer

I think the problem with concrete and why we haven’t got those already, is that there could be two way to add it. Either as blocks or as a survival voxel tool. Having both would be redundant and potentially confusing so it shouldn't happen. We’ll have to decide which one we really want.

20. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Concrete is the only true answer here. Wooden ships make no sense. There's no such thing as stealth blocks. But concrete could be used for base only structures. The best part about that is that there are already mods that have all the blocks made.

21. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

There's been requests for concrete/stone blocks around since well before planets were even a rumor in SE... Many uses for them when making an asteroid base, among other things early on. There were always arguments against them back then (like getting concrete to cure in space, lack of water for the mix, etc.). But now that there are planets as well, it seems like it would be a great addition with much less "realism police" friction against it.

Wood is actually another interesting idea, too. I like the thought of being able to make interior walls & floors from wood, save my steel for where I need it. Not sure I would go much past a few set block styles for wood, though - maybe a standard structural block and some railing / fencing? I suppose the walkway style blocks could be a wood variant too.

22. SenorZorros Master Engineer

you have to admit wood is quite useful on planets though,

23. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Maybe but concrete still beats wood even at that level. It's far more abundant.

Aesthetically, concrete wins here as well. As mentioned above, a 2.5m3 block of wood is just going to look weird. Now we could do it in sheets as mentioned but where would you place it in the block space? If you want a door you have to put it in the middle. If you want windows it has to be on the edge.
    Even if we get the placement figured out, having a wooden house with a star trek esque door is just going to look strange to me. It will be even stranger when you walk in the house and see it power by a nuclear reactor for your stasis chamber of a bed. At least the concrete will give you a bunker feel to it all.

And last but not least....this is the most important...have we learned nothing from the story about the 3 little pigs?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Vlad Trainee Engineer

Even for doors, its not good, look at spider size and thinking about wood itself its not so strong to hold them back.
    from what i think about wood, catwalks are more interesting in wooden texture or just simple wooden panels to decorate my dull ore magnet ships
    Oh and dont forget about what developers said about weather! wood is way more fragile in that aspect: heavy rain, snow, nuclear fallout (thats what alien planets look alike)....

25. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

I'd want wood as a decal for armor blocks. Want to make your ship look like it came straight out of the 17th century? Get some wood decal ammo for your paint sprayer and start painting your ship with wood planks!

I'd do concrete like this: you place a frame block then weld it with cement mix (made from gravel). When it's finished, the block is replaced by stone voxels in that shape.

Is a stealth block like a window you can see through? That'd be cool.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Vlad Trainee Engineer

everything has its own place, even a small lamp can be used as a crosshair for a large ore shotgun, so why not? its a cool idea and with planets it should blend well.
    --- Automerge ---
    from everythink known so far (what was said on streams) stealth block is lighter than standart armour, as weak as interior wall and thats all its possible to get from those streams. nothing is known about its function....

27. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I'll repeat, the stealth block is pointless. You can't hide from a radar that doesn't exsist.

28. ViroMan Senior Engineer

"radar" may not exist but sensors do. Extended sensors can detect things many K away. If the "stealth" armor prevents detection from sensors that is a super plus. I would guess turrets work on the same codding that sensors do so if you could hide from sensors your immune to auto turrets.

29. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Never balance around mods. Sensor's have 50 meters range, guns 800. Remove or turn of your antenna and/or beacon, paint the ship an off black, hide the thuster exhaust, and you have a stealth ship. We already know a small ship can snipe turrets outside of turret range.

30. SenorZorros Master Engineer

assuming we get a modern barracksy scaffold-like wood I'd say it wouldn't be that bad... wood is easier to work with than concrete. needs less infrastructure and is a lot better when it comes to horizontal strength.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.