Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Engineers New HUD Layout - UNOFFICIAL feedback thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Ronin1973, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

No it's not official. Who will look at this? Who knows. Since the new HUD is the next big thing, I don't think it deserves to be buried in a forgotten sub-forum for some time. So discuss likes, dislikes, wants... but keep it civil as always.

-----My feedback (which would have been automerged)-----

The BIG thing that I want out of the HUD would be "Scribble Strips". What IS a scribble strip? Well it's a box for custom text. Originally, you'd find it as a space on a big audio mixing desk/console with all the faders. At the bottom there would be space to hand write in text with a grease pencil or lay down a strip of masking tape and write on that in permanent ink.

If you had to keep track of a lot of channels of audio, you could visually look at the limited space and at least have an idea of what the channel contained.

With that in mind, when it comes to the toolbar, I find there's a big problem. It's hard to tell exactly what will happen when you push a number associated with that icon. Take for instance wheel friction and wheel power. They are rated from 0%-100%. When you adjust those settings via the toolbar, the only thing that's reflected is the percentage you are adjusting, NOT the parameter.

The same thing applies to programmable blocks. When you're running a PB with an argument attached via the toolbar, what exactly is supposed to happen when you press it? If you don't remember or if it's a ship downloaded from the workshop... well maybe someone left you notes some where.

A scribble strip would just be a blank text field that could be populated by clicking on it in the G menu, the same menu where you assign block parameters to the toolbar. Once you click on it a field will pop up just like the argument-field where you can enter your text. Now there's not a lot of space, but a handful of characters is all that's necessary. These text fields would be saved along with toolbar settings for the cockpit or flightseat you're editing.

As far as the blueprint or entity it would be stored like this.
    Code:
                    <Slots>
                      <Slot>
                        <Index>0</Index>
                        <Item />
                        <Data xsi:type="MyObjectBuilder_ToolbarItemTerminalBlock">
                          <Action>View</Action>
                          <BlockEntityId>79159702579359152</BlockEntityId>
                        </Data>
                        <Strip>SCRIBBLE DATA GOES HERE</Strip>
                      </Slot>
    Here's a mock-up that I did. It's not perfect, but it gets the point across. Please note this isn't a cockpit view. I don't know of any image available with the new HUD layout.
    [​IMG]

Also if these scribble strip text fields were accessible via in-game C# scripting, they could also serve double duty as adding simple user data to the HUD like how full your cargo blocks were, warning messages, navigational data, etc. To add just a dash of data to HUD could be done without having to mod the entire HUD and create a path for the programmable block to access it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Bumber Senior Engineer

I'd like a directional velocity indicator. I need to know whether that 100m/s is going forward or if I'm still sliding along sideways.

Edit: The one they've given us is okay*, but it doesn't tell you if you're going backwards. The little cursor should change (to an 'X'?) to indicate retrograde velocity. We also need marks to indicate the horizon when it's out of view.

*Actually it's messed up at the moment (see page 2.) The concept is okay.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 11
  3. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

So much this.
    I have always thought that toolbar usability is seriously limited due to lack of descriptions.
    Yes, there are icons for most block actions, but unless it is something obvious as switching lights or opening doors, it becomes
    confusing. If you look at people playing with workshop creations, they usually open G-menu to read mouse-over tooltips.
    And with programmable blocks you have to create some sort of external list just to remember.

I agree 100% - toolbar needs some sort of user definable descriptions, be it "Scribble Strips" or focus activated tooltips or something else. Point is toolbar usability needs some improvement.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The problem with a focus activated tool-tip in the cockpit is that you're using the mouse to maneuver (fly and drive) so you can't mouse over to remind yourself of what that item does. That would take a bit of time to do if it was possible as well. In the middle of a tense moment and you're looking to turn on all of your turrents, that just wouldn't work.

5. Diegor34 Apprentice Engineer

In my opnion, the new one it's better than the current HUD, but its not perfect and lack a few more colors (simple, light and clean colors) and it will be nice if you had diferent hud's for the type of veihicle's, but this is just a idea that i know will not be really used anyway. And we still have to see how the menus of interaction with inventory will look like and performe.

6. bigsteve Trainee Engineer

I hope charge time or % charge, for jump drive will on there!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Merandix Junior Engineer

My ideas. I doubt it, but I surely hope they'll delay the UI update a bit more and actually put in some badly needed functionality. The new things are nice, but only a graphical update. With a UI overhaul, I at least hoped for a more intuitive UI and HUD. The HUD seems to be more successful than the Menu's thusfar.

HUD:
    - Perhaps a tiny bit less grey/bland?
    - Slightly better immersion would be nice, as if there are some holographic UI elements being projected in front of your face, rather than on my flat screen for example. The HUD is too statically projected on my screen rather than in front of Beardy McSpacebeard's face.
    - Put the artificial Horizon (new gravity indicator / navball) in the bottom centre, and make it a bit bigger and more noticeable. Perhaps put the tool-bar on both sides of the new artificial horizon, or in the top of the screen?*
    - Give the navball (artificial horizon) the standard brown and blue colours, and a few markings to indicate pitch. Also put a forward / backward mark on it (prograde / retrograde).
    - We could use a compass / heading indicator for navigation when on planets.
    - Battery power / reactor fuel time indicator?
    - Rethink the speedometer. It's a bit overly large, perhaps it could wrap around the new navball, if it moves to the centre of the screen?
    - the symbol for thrusters on/off isn't very clear (at least, I assume it's thrusters on/off, second icon from the left).

*) Or even make it so that we can move HUD elements in a spot we like best?

Menu UI:
    Not thoroughly impressed yet to be honest. The menu's look rather bland compared to current, and I actually was mainly hoping for improved functionality rather than looks.
    - Ability to customise sorting
    - The ability to merge individual containers' inventories (a toggle that show's a ship's complete list of container inventories, or shows the SHIP's inventory).
    - The ability to sort inventory display menu's on contents.
    - The ability to quickly drag and drop supplies from (for example) a base to a ship, without having to go through scroll-hell first.

Advanced options:
    - Automatically sorting control panel entries per 'ship / vehicle / station' (even better with options).
    - Also being able to manually define several grids as one ship, vehicle or base, and have inventory also conform to this.
    - The ability to have collapsible control-panel menu's. For example putting all thrusters on a ship under a category thrusters, all batteries and reactors under a category 'power'.

Extended UI / part functionality wishes:
    - Being able to define custom controls on a control station, cockpit or remote control to correspond to certain actions. For example, push 'A' = turn rotor 1 counterclockwise for as long as button is pressed. Push 'D' = turn rotor 1 clockwise for as long as button is pressed. With additional control options on the rotor to 'return to neutral position' after control input is stopped.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Nacon Junior Engineer

I'm already tired of the mono-blue-tech color theme. It's not very "future tech" style anymore as it used to be back in the 90's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bumber Senior Engineer

I find it a bit weird that the helmet icon is facing off-screen. Mistook it for a speedometer icon at first.

Edit: I hope we get a color picker for the UI.

Looks like jetpack.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Merandix Junior Engineer

@Crusader You clicked disagree on my post. Fair enough. But I dislike the 'disagree' feature in the sense that now I'm curious what exactly you disliked :woot:

@Bumber Yeah... that was what I figured after a bit too... But when I see a symbol it should IMMEDIATELY click, not after staring at it for a few minutes.

11. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

"- Perhaps a tiny bit less grey/bland?"

Didn't agree with it is all.

12. Plongo Trainee Engineer

I like what they have done, but i'd love if it was merge with a space helmet. So it actually looked like you had a helmet on. Immersion hasn't change. Add a helmet interior feel, with those new HUD icons in there and boom. IMMERSION!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The menus look like they are from an alpha release and temporary rather than the "new" ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. rexxar Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  15. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

THE ABILITY TO SEE TWO SEPARATE CONTAINER INVENTORIES SIDE BY SIDE SO I CAN MOVE ITEMS FROM ONE TO THE OTHER WITHOUT CLICK-HOLD-DRAG-SCROLLING-WITHOUTUSINGTHESEARCHBAR MY GOD KEEN PLEASE

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

My issue with the new HUD is that it is not a HUD. A HUD is a Heads UP Display. They were added to aircraft to keep the pilot's head UP looking at where he is going and what he is shooting at rather than looking down at instruments in the cockpit. Our so called HUD does the exact opposite because it is at the bottom of the screen. A HUD should put critical information for the task at hand up around the center of the screen or focus of the pilots attention so they don't have to look down while doing what they are doing. It should also be unobtrusive to the view of the pilot, likely translucent so you can see it but can also see through it. That being said, not all of the information displyed should be up around the center of the screen since not all of it is useful during manuevers or combat. Things like speed, attitude, altitude, direction of flight and maybe damper status and maybe a few others should all be easily seen near the center of the display. While less critical items should be displayed away from the center of the screen so they do not clutter your main view. The current "HUD" has all the critical information in the bottom corners of the screen and the less critical info in the bottom center. This is totally backward. I'm not a modder and I don't know how modders can mod the HUD but please someone make an actual HUD if the developers wont.

There is a common way that most HUDs work.

The crosshair should surround the center aiming point of the screen and not cover it. So a hollow circle or "cross hair" with nothing in the middle so that you can see clearly what you are looking at. Around this cross hair should be your direction of flight arrow indicating which direction you are actually moving which will also tell you which way your weapon fire will go when you shoot it so it will act as a crude target lead as well until we get an actual target lead system. The directional arrow should be 3D like @Digi's indicator that is bottom center on his HUD. However, like I said it should not cover the center of the screen but should be near but arround the center. Should grown in length to give a maginitude as well as direction and maybe change color to make it more obvious whether you are prograde or retrograde.

The more traditional way would be to have a bar slider below the center of the screen and to the right that shows left and right motion and up and down motion like current aircraft HUDs do. The traditional method might actually be more intuitive and precise if they had a number next to the indicator showing precise speed in each direction. An indication of forward and backward motion should be left of center where current aircraft speed is displayed but needs to have forward direction display upward and backward direction display downward since we can move in both directions very easily. I prefer this method over the arrow at the center of the screen so that the center is less cluttered.

There should also be an attitude indicator near the center of the screen as well, similar to the current one. Also, critical indicator icons like dampers and power status and maybe electrical fuel and hydrogen fuel indicators should also be displayed around the above indicators. They lastly the none critical indcators should be displayed further out from the center and out of the primary view of the pilot.

Almost forgot, altitude should be just right of the vertical speed indicator to the right of the screen.

Take a look at any modern HUD or glass cockpit PFD and you will see a similar setup.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Merandix Junior Engineer

Heh, thanks... I should stop asking that. I don't do it for agrees either... but I get few enough disagrees that curiosity often gets the better of me. And yeah, the quoted bit is a matter of taste :D

18. Netherspark Trainee Engineer

The in-game HuD looks great, but I think using the same style for the menus was a mistake, they just look horrid now, and frankly rather difficult to see properly. At the very least the menu elements need borders around them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

There is already simple mod to change HUD colors as you guys wish in workshop. ( all colors possible )

For HUD, i have few ideas how improve it:
    When you pick weapon show number of ammo ( in right bottom window ), same with welder, when you hold it in hand show number of componets, drill number of ores, etc....

For horizont with velocity indicator... I think it can be use for aiming weapons from moving ships, just place it in midle of monitor, when you pick rockets or mg, remove horizont and if you shoot on biger/smaller distance make outside ring biger or smaller with same cros sensitivity and you have perfect aim while shooting from moving ship.

Creat next window for player inventory ( in right bottom corner ), so players can place items for instant use there like weapons, tools, oxygen/hydrogen tanks, etc...

Make every window closeable individualy, for example: when you know you will not build, you dont need midle bar, same for right window when you dont use it right now, or speed meter, etc...

Move helmed, light, ship turned ON/OFF, etc... icons from above left and right window down on same level like midle window with blocks ( left and right from window will be perfect + there is enought space for it ), or just make them smaller.

20. punkatron Trainee Engineer

Overall I am grateful for many of the HUD enhancements and approve of them. But some critique is necessary, seeing as that is what the thread is asking for.

I'd like an option to replace some icons with text. With the new inventory display we have only a very basic bar or slider, and you can no longer see exactly how much of your character's inventory is filled (ie 2,500/4,000), which we had the ability to tell before. This problem I have experienced in other areas, such as Helmet status which was more usefully displayed before as 'On/Off', rather than now, with an icon that when giving it a quick glance does not jump out and tell me anything. I've had to start suffocating to inform me, 'hey, you're helmet's on (in open air) and you're running out of oxygen'. Sure, it just takes time to learn a new system, it's just that old one was, well, more intuitive!

Not keen on the shrunken feel to some UI elements, particularly the tool bar. And terminal menus feel..kind of minimal, almost bland, compared to the old scheme which to my mind was more finessed.

21. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Did the old HUD have an altitude display for jetpack? I'm focusing on planet based things now and find I can't find my altitude with jetpack.

22. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

The hype for the hydrogen fuel gauge is real. thing is a godsend for testing out hydrogen based ships without the need of scripts imo. very glad to see this feature come to life finally.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Bumber Senior Engineer

It didn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Netherspark Trainee Engineer

The toolbar is way too small, and the highlights are damn near invisible. I keep having to squint and lean forwards to see things like blocks and bar numbers.

• Agree Agree x 4
  25. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

I like the new hud, and don't really understand the comment about it being backwards. But to each his own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Too lazy To listen To you Trainee Engineer

The only thing I dislike is the cursor. The weird effect around it makes t slightly difficult for me to see whaere exactly I am clicking. I don't know if it's a bug or supposed to be there, but I think there should be a way to choose to use the original cursor.

27. Calaban Junior Engineer

I dislike how the toolbar is completely obscured by the glare of the dashboard when sitting in a flight seat or cockpit.... I literally have to alt-look up a bit to get it in view (there's your "Heads UP display :D )

Honestly, why is the cockpit dashboard so hard to fill out/use/render non opaque/non glaring white?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

PLEASE PUT COMMAS IN THE SHIP MASS NUMBER!

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Show mass of astronaut when in jetpack mode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Arcturus Senior Engineer

HUD:
    - Generally an improvement
    - The crosshairs on the horizon ball that show your velocity vector should not scale with velocity. Currently you can't tell which way you are going at low speed.
    - The red part that warns you there is no O2 and to not open your helmet is small and hard to find/notice

UI:
    - Hard to tell the difference between control panel buttons, text boxes, or other elements.

Inventory-specific:
    - There is no shortcut to drop items. The current method is awkward.
    - Despite having the ability to instantly move 10, 100, or 1000 of items, there is NO way to pick up just ONE item from a stack without using the right-click type-a-number option. I have never used the "move 1000" option.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.