Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New Mod: Characters (Letters & Numbers)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stori3D Past Productions, Nov 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Hi all! A new mod for you:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=792108153
    For too long there has been no way to write any kind of decent text in the game. These block letters will finally hopefully give players some options.

This first run has the 26 letters in the US/UK alphabet. Soon I'll add the numbers 0-9, then after that at least the most common other letters in Western European alphabets.

Hope you enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Think about space character too ! ;)

3. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

The Y-Z block has blank space faces, so it works for that! I think I'm going to use one of the faces to make an arrow. That way people can use these as direction markers/maps
    --- Automerge ---
    Numbers 0-9 added, as well as straight & angled arrows:

Now you can give visitors to your lands useful guides & warnings!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

really... you, together with manchou... are heroes... heroes we dont deserve but still have. :stare::baby:

5. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Lol thank you Ed. I just really love doing these, it's great to push the game to do new and cool things. I'm glad you're enjoying!

I've updated the mod with a full set of Thin Letter Tiles, A-Z. These are great for creating double-sided hanging signs, with whatever text you want on both sides.

This link on Steam gives a description of how to place the tiles: http://steamcommunity.com/app/333950/discussions/0/282992499676687751/#c282992646967282188
    Placement at first might seem tricky because these tiles use an "offset" to give the illusion that the front and back text can both be placed in the same 1x1 space. But once you get used to it, it should be easy to work with.

I hope you all enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cetric Junior Engineer

Now I can put inscriptions on sarcophaguses in the catacombs... :p . Just one annotation: As this seems to aim at signs on wood or within wooden compounds, would it be possible to produce a letter set for stone surfaces? I think here the chars should look like engravings, as if someone chiseled them into the stone. Recessed. Actually a common feature in your Roman worlds, so you can make your own monuments in latin!

7. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Hey Cetric! Carved, inscribed letters in stone is a great idea. You're right, it would be perfect for Roman monuments or of course Medieval tomb inscriptions too. Someone suggested using just the texture for the lettering instead of making actual mesh letters. I think that engraved stone might be a good candidate to try that out. I can try to use the texturing to create the impression of carving. I've got some other stuff to attend to first, but I like the idea. Thanks for it!

8. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Thats awesome!
    [don't even own ME yet but its still looks like something badly needed!]

9. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Thanks Forcedminer! It is definitely a cool game. Definitely still a long way to go before it's finished, but there's a lot to like about it.

I've now added Destructibility and full Survival-readiness to the mod:

Each block/tile costs 2 Wooden Sticks (the small stones are still bugged as a resource and make the item indestructible)... I may change that to give you, say, 4 tiles/blocks for 1 large stone. We'll see. But for now, all the Blueprints are in and it's Survival-ready and fully destructible. Enjoy.
    --- Automerge ---
    (Also added full set of numbers 0-9 plus an apostrophe to the thin-tile set. That should give the most players the most useful characters for this first round at least.)

10. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Added a new set of thin tiles that can attach directly to walls:

This will hopefully give you all a lot of new ways to make signage & notes. Hope you enjoy. Let me know what's working and what this mod still needs!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

i just keep thinking... youre a hero... a proper hero.... :baby: im gonna add a character like you in my book... definetly...

12. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

You're way too kind! Though I like the idea of being in a book. :tu: I just love this game, man. I want it to do great things.

13. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

A long-overdue update to my Characters: Letters/Numbers mod.

All the code in it now has been brought fully up to 0.5 levels. And better, I have reworked every single model to optimize them, and added multiple sets of LODs (low-resolution distant images) to all.
    [​IMG]
    Major update to "Characters" mod -- all code now fully 0.5, and all blocks optimized to be MUCH more processor-friendly.
    A Screenshot of Medieval Engineers
    By: STORI3D PAST Productions

[​IMG]
    Major update to "Characters" mod -- All code rewritten for 0.5, all blocks reoptimized to be a LOT more processor-friendly.
    A Screenshot of Medieval Engineers
    By: STORI3D PAST Productions

Each letter or block now uses about 1/2 of the polygons (triangles) that it used to use up-close. From a distance, the savings are enormous -- tiles that formerly cost 100-150 polygons each now take up only 4. Blocks that were 600-800 each are now only 12. If your world uses a lot of the letter tiles/blocks, this should be a serious & noticeable improvement in performance.

The only downside is that in optimizing and fixing positioning, I had to rotate the blocks. If your builds were using the block-type of lettering, that has probably all jumbled up now. But it should be quick and painless to replace.

I have also changed these tiles to use the more-sensible small stones rather than wooden sticks. I made them sticks last fall when small stones were bugged in the main code. Now stones work perfectly.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

gj :D as a 3d artist, you make me happy

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.