Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New Mod: Companion - Hunting Dog

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Coggernaut, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

Here is the steam link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=805774345

[​IMG]

This mod adds a new companion to Medieval Engineers, the Hunting Dog. This dog brings some life into the empty world, aiding you on your adventures.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What does the Hunting Dog do?

Currently, the "Hunting Dog" will follow you around, wherever you go (unless you fast-travel). If you go too far away from it, it will bark once, notifying you you're going too fast. Once it gets into a close proximity, the dog will begin randomly roaming around you. Though it will never get too far away from you. If you stand right next to it, it will stop moving, and stand still.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Planned Features:

- Hunger, you will have to feed your dog food

- Move Commands

- Attack Commands

- Alert feature, dog will bark twice to let you know an enemy is nearby.

- Beast of Burden, the dog will have a small pouch to carry lightwieght things for you.
    Check out our other mods!

Runescape:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=511756760

Medieval Era:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624599405
    Known bugs:

Post Here For Bugs:http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/805774345/154641879452458165/

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

this is actually quite cool

3. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

Thank you!

I'm going to attempt to simulate a "taming" feature in the future. Using Ai commands, I believe I can switch a "feral" (barbarian) behavior for a tamed (peasant) behavior. Though this is most likely possible, the hard part is manipulating the behavior to simulate taming. Eventually I'ed like every animal to be tamable. Think of World of Warcraft hunter system, I want to replicate that. I believe I can simulate it to some extent, but limited due to the ai tool being broken. So I have to work with vanilla bot behaviors. Lots of testing to do...

With taming, I can remove the spawning option for survival. Then I can make it so you must tame your animal before you can use it. I believe this is a much more realistic alternative to spawning.

Though, the behavior can only have 1 target, which makes things difficult. Hence the dog cannot attack things. (Without attacking owner).

I could do a banner system, where the banner (like mining) is the attack location (instead of mining location) where the behavior code instructs the companion to attack any player in the circle's radius. Though, this is not ideal, because it opens up for exploit if someone else places one. Not to mention, you cannot be near your dog during this.

I could also add new sounds to make the dog more personal, but the Audio.sbc has issues. Where the code works. But audio inside the audio folder seems beoken. I'll have to experiment, maybe it wants another file version other then wav.

Though something I can do is unique loot

What do you think of those potential features for the mod?

4. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

It honestly sounds incredibly awesome and should totally be part of the main game

5. Cetric Junior Engineer

I like this, especially for the alarm function. I am not only a modding fool, I seem also to be inept to fence off a barbarian, in melee they always kill me if even I have the better weapon (or is it a rubber sword?). Most kills I did in my planets survival was by dropping logs on their heads from my wooden keep I built so far. Now more culturally advanced with a gangway around the house which leaves open space below so I can shoot them by crossbow when they are busy attacking my fundaments. Direct confrontation - means failure. Oh, this dog would be great for medieval weaklings like me ! ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    Maybe this will start an arms race and the barbarians come back with trained bears to outmatch our dogs?

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.