Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New official content should be 'kickstarted', not released as DLC

Discussion in 'General' started by spaceKing, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. spaceKing Trainee Engineer

New official content should be funded by donations from players during a pre-update-launch period, not dividing the playerbase with shiny DLC content they can't access.

This would allow all players to use the official content, Keen still gets the money it needs, players vote for content with their wallets, everybody wins.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

if it's coming anyway you realize almost no-one would donate, right?

3. JamesAM Trainee Engineer

That's interesting considering the rationale they gave for making it paid was that some of the player base wanted a way to give them more money to support SE development.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

They do but theres always someone who wants a company to keep developing the game after they bought it and pay for that development with fresh air. Had they charged £10 or something like that for it i'd be "wtaf?" but £2.50? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

True, but I'm willing to bet they'll make more, and thus have more to put in to development, selling small dlc packs than they would from donations. And quite frankly, compared the industry norm, the dlc price so far is plenty fair.

6. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Willing to bet what, exactly? Some decisions are really easy to make when you have nothing to lose. I'm sure the staff at KSH examined all the options and, likely, consulted some experts before choosing the one with the least risk to the future of the game. Kickstarter is not perfect for all situations.

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, no. First of all, you want to get things for free because someone else paid. that's a bit entitled.
    Second, so Keen will propose new blocks and IF they receive enough in Kickstarter money, they'll develop them? That's not a great business model unless you're a freeloader.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

And isn't Kickstarter for brand new products, to get them off the ground. Things that are not even in an Alpha stage? Not being a smart ass here, that is what I honestly think of Kickstarter being. If that is what Kickstarter is then this idea doesn't fit.

9. JamesAM Trainee Engineer

I bought the pack and have no problem with the price. My issue is that building is a core game mechanic. Doesn't matter if the DLC is better or worse or overpowered or useless or whatever what bothers me is that in a game that has a pretty big multiplayer base and steam bp sharing platform they are releasing DLC that affects core game mechanics. Good DLC either allows players to use core game mechanics in new situations or is peripheral like skins. I don't mind sending a few $ to keen for this stuff which is why I bought the pack but I do not like that the content of the pack is affecting core game mechanics. In a lot of ways Keen is still an amateur company and this seems to me like a pretty amateur move.
    I think the blocks should be added to the core game however I reckon the cat is out of the bag on this one, they most likely won't change it. but they really need to rethink their DLC strategy for the future.

10. Calaban Junior Engineer

GoFundMe would be a better way to go about what the OP suggested.

or- heaven forbid- Patreon memberships so patrons can get guaranteed server login access- or access to patron only servers. (ooh I <3 the sound of that) Freeloader trolls are the worst. At least give me trolls that pay for the privilege.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.