Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New Star Wars trailer... makes me... play Space Engineers

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by LFCavalcanti, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

I don't want to sound.. nerdy... I like Star Trek, more than Star Wars, to be honest, but oooohhh my! This trailer is just...

Watch:

I was back at my job when I watched the trailer... immediately wanted to play SE... who else got this feeling?

Please, post any creations based on Star Wars, let talk about the good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

I was playing SE while watching it, but I did enjoy the trailer.

3. DDP-158 Master Engineer

My only franchise creation so far is what I call the MK1 TIE Fighter. The only reason I built it was because the cockpit called out to me. I generally prefer to build my own designs rather than make a copy of others.

[​IMG]

I've got this little Ditty in storage though.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Spets Master Engineer

tah is no sta wax f*k geor lucas disny sellout

• Like Like x 2
  5. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Did we just lead Spets to some serious drinking just now?

• Like Like x 6
  6. Kain Reaver Apprentice Engineer

That's not alcohol talking...

• Like Like x 1
  7. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Never Forget.....

Ever...

• Like Like x 2
  8. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

Okey First off!

1. This is the completely wrong section

2. this should either be in Off Topic or community creations

3. Nothing relevant to a general discussion about SE

9. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Well i really love the SE franchise.
    I have played Star Wars Galaxies a very long time and i still consider it one of the very best MMOs. That simply is because it had the best non-combat mechanics any game ever offered.
    - The skilltrees were great, even though not very good balanced in some degrees.
    - The crafting was the best in any game ever. Never ever have i seen a game with such a degree of customizability and variation in item stats (not counting simply randomized diablo-style stats there as that is luck-based crafting over skill-based). Huge material trees, diverse material stats that actually influence the outcome of your crafts, interesting crafting "experimentation" and mass production.
    - Player housing! That really is one of the best things in any game. Build your own house and customize it. Make it your fancy home and/or run a vendor in it.
    - Player run and maintained cities. When a normal rogue house was nothing for you, maybe joining a big player managed city is. Regular elections for the mayor.
    - Music Music MUSIC MUSIC MUUUUSSSIIICCC ... also cantina! Why? Because fuck yeah! Never before of after that have i ever spend that much time in a game just chatting with people relative to my total gameplay time. Sitting in a cantina with the awesome classic cantina background music aswell as the musician performances was just relaxing and awesome.
    - Non-combat content was huge! Like mentioned above, you could do a lot outside what nowadays games focus too much on ... combat.

But well i might be a bit biased because i simply started playing SWG right ... on tatooine with friends!
    Running around the desert while suddenly someone with a X-34 Landspeeder like in the video came across me. Lovely!
    I cant stress it enough but the sounds make it for me whenever i see a starwars themed thing.
    Simply standing inside a tatooine city while several speeder fly through your screen and maybe suddenly seeing a few ouverts fight each other, this game as a rolepalyers dream, and iam not even a roleplayer at all!

Alright enough flashbacks and nostalgia.
    The movie series themself are pretty enclosed and thus dont allow much addition to the main story line. Stuffing content in is what the clone wars series tried and it felt odd. Thus they of course had to do something new. Either yet another prequel or a sequel. Good they did not do one of these "marvel-ous" timeline changes again. Imagine seeing a "reimagination" of starwars with a new storyline where the history suddenly changes, god no!

Overall movies change because culture changes a lot.
    In the past movies had much more story, that is my opinion aswell as many others apparently, and nowadays they focus more on shiny effects. That sure is not true for all movies but it can be considered subjectively true for a big amount. That probably is a rose glasses issue, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    When however comparing the content of movies like Star Trek. The old movies had philosiphical questions (first star trek, spoks death), social criticism (whales) and many more.
    Just remember how many people died in the first two star trek movies. I am fairly sure that within the first 10 minutes of any star trek movie after 2000, more people did already than in the first two movies in total.

But that of course is a general problem.
    In the old Planet of the Apes movies you had the same. Several movies arising questions and debates about society, meaning of life, how to treat others (apes > humans, humans > apes) etc while the news got .. yeah what do they actually have even?
    Or the "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy". Did that 2005 movie ever thematize the implication of finding the ultimate answer, what that would mean to us when we wouldnt have a question we couldnt answer anymore, no goals to strieve for? I remember them mentioning something along that line once in a few sentences max.

So lets see if that movie will be a shiny CGI festival again or actually contain remarkable scenes able to catch us.
    I however am always looking forward, awaiting them with open arms, hoping for the best.

Though SE sadly is the wrong context for SW as SE is about engineering. A very technical aspect.
    SW is about exploration, culture, a very active ambience. That is not particulary the stength or goal of SE imo.
    Other games would be more suited for that.

TL;DR

• Like Like x 2
  10. kristakis Junior Engineer

QFT

It saddens me that this is still true so many years later.

11. CruentaUltio Apprentice Engineer

12. Echillion Senior Engineer

Cool Tie Fighter DDP-158 :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

4 - You have no sense of humor...

14. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Are you okay?

15. Spets Master Engineer

This is HYPE!

• Like Like x 2
  16. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

cause you know this thread is totally about humor... please nothing humorous about this thread

17. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Maybe not for you... so why even bother posting?

18. Brenner Junior Engineer

Hmm, the second trailer is a hella of a lot better than the first one.
    The first one sucked, really. Although the internet discussions about the new light sabre that followed were pretty damn hilarious.

Which reminds me of:

• Like Like x 3
  19. taksraven72 Trainee Engineer

I did this before the release of the new Star Wars trailer, but SW certainly inspired me, of course.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rizzitoni Apprentice Engineer

@taksraven72, you probably could have used timer blocks to program that move... but I appreciate your final judgement. Make your own! Great job :)

21. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Well the conditions were that they kept to his story boards, you know the ones he made before A New Hope, and has expanded upon since.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.