Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New weapons / New ores

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by SilentShadow, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Yes, new weapons have been suggested as have new ores. My suggestion is combine them and make the new ores a requisite for building these weapons or the ammo for them.

Perhaps some sort of aluminum containing component or whatever ore for the new higher tiered weapons. Or maybe the ammo needs tungsten.

Also, consider making some ores spawn planet side only in meaningful quantities. Perhaps an option for world generation for "planet specific ores" or something.

3 birds,1 stone?

2. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

No planet specific ores. This has been flogged to dead as being a terrible idea.

3. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Why is it a terrible idea given that planets are in serious need of a reason to fight gravity and saberoids to visit them?

4. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Because not everybody plays a planet map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

What about making it more abundant on the alien planet? Not planet only, but having low amounts in roids

6. DDP-158 Master Engineer

This goes right back to what has been repeated many times over the last few months. Many people seem to agree that there isn't much reason to go to a planet because ores are abundant in space, and so far most people keep applying a weird logic of ADD MORE STUFF. But that won't fix the issue.
    We were looking at asteroid data a while back in relations to people wanting a rare ore. Even at something like 100th of a percentage of ore you will still end up with 70 tons of the stuff collected from the rocks in a 50km sphere. Now I don't know how much of this ore you have in mind for building a next tier weapon but I'm pretty sure it's not 70 tons (unless you're looking to build a 70 ton weapon).
    If you truly want more reasons for a planet the only true logical course of action is to massively reduce the ratio of asteroids. The planet can still have more of this resource that you want and then on asteroid only world's the amount will still be much smaller than normally attained.
    Personally though I wouldn't want a resource just for a hand held weapon, because once you've made 1 or a dozen the rest of the material becomes the equivalent of mining stone.

7. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I'm assuming the ammo for new weapons may require the new ores. For example, a vanilla railgun round might require aluminum or perhaps some type of armor piercing round needs tungsten.

8. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Aluminum would be a poor choice for a railgun.

9. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Aluminum is typically used for the armature. Composite aluminum/copper rails are quite commonly used as well.

Most importantly. Railguns make little sense in a game where the speed of projectiles is capped at 700 m/s.

10. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Aluminum could even be used for building the ship's making certain blocks lighter but Def not good for railgun ammo.
    Even with the game restrictions I wouldnt mind a railgun as like a capital weapon (doing capital damage). To me it still falls under ballistic weaponry which is what I would prefer to see as opposed to the weapon and defense system we shall not speak of which consists of energy.

11. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Al 7075 is used for the armature (the part of the projectile that generates the BXL force as it bridges the rails) in many designs. This is a scientific/engineering fact not really open for debate.

If they could simulate rail gun effects by giving it enhanced penetration/deformation damage compared to existing weapons then I agree it would be interesting.

Anything to break the paradigm of "more gats".

12. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

And of course this would be a weapon that sustains minor damage from normal use. Even assuming decades of material science, a rail gun will have more wear than a traditional firearm.

13. DDP-158 Master Engineer

And we're slipping too far into realism. Remember, gameplay. Our ships don't need hours of maintanance after each flight. Our ventilation doesn't need the air filter changed after a few weeks of use. Our guns don't suffer wear and tear.

Think gameplay.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.