Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New Working Doors, Live and Online

Discussion in 'General' started by Stori3D Past Productions, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Hi all.

I've figured out how to shrink Keen's Gate system into a single, functional door. Woot!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765080985

I think I've got it behaving really well. It fits right inside a wooden or stone doorway. Opens & closes nicely with no fuss. Hitbox not intrusive.

There will be more coming, to fit other door spaces (first being a rounded top so that it looks more realistic in the rounded-top stone doorway).

Hope you all enjoy. This is something the game's needed for a long time.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

awesome work my friend

3. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Thanks much. I hope they're as useful as I think they're going to be. I'm also going to try to get a rounded-top model in-game this weekend, for the stone doors. Plus I'm starting to think about window shutters.
    --- Automerge ---
    Second door style now in the mod, round-topped, which looks a lot nicer opening & closing in the round-topped stone doorways.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Silen Apprentice Engineer

Very good job, although I never install mods since I prefer keeping my game completely vanilla, so I'd rather make a door with game mechanics. Wish the devs implemented something in the next update though, along performance fixes.

5. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

I agree that things like doors should just be in vanilla. It's frustrating to have to download mods to handle things that should naturally just be in there. But at least it's an option now. Fingers crossed that the game keeps moving forward and they add more and more to vanilla.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Check it out. Doors are lockable!!

All you have to do is drop any dynamic object (a block of wood, an iron bar, a plate, whatever) on the inside of your closed door. When you do, the game won't let you open that door. If you do that while you're inside, then nobody on the outside can get into your house unless they bash the wall down! Lockable doors!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

A new addition to my Doors mod: working window shutter.

This first version is actually the more complicated of my ideas. This is a heavy, protective wooden shutter, hinged at the top.

When it opens, a wooden rod bolted into the side of the window opening then comes down to act as a visual "prop" in order to keep the shutter up.

This all happens automatically, even the delayed timing. I think it's a cool effect.
    The shutter looks & works fine for a wooden window opening (it will clip and look ridiculous on the narrow stone window opening). For an added effect, add a second wooden window opening in front:

I really like the depth that gives.

Anyway, enjoy!

• Like Like x 6
  8. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Very good Stori !They looks great! I've to test them very soon! :D

9. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

These things should really be vanilla though..... They already gave us big ass gate modules and such, so they can also give us the small stuff like windowshutters and such... Now i think of it.. There could be a cool fantasy ish mod with magic, that allows you to light all fires within x-radius and open/close doors and shutters within x-radius

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Harrekin Master Engineer

Ridiculously good work, I may even reinstall the game now that's there's actual doors and such :)

11. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

Still sad we have to mod it in.... Im still against the fact we got that drawbridge prefab but small doors should be in... Even se has them.... And maybe they should fix that compound block issue where you cant place those floor panels

12. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

That could be the coolest thing I've heard! I hope you do give the game another look. I think there's some great new mods & additions in that really give it a lot more depth. Ed Frost is of course totally right, there's really no excuse for the game not to have doors & shutters in vanilla after 1 1/2 years. That's just crazy. But at least there's now a modded solution.
    --- Automerge ---
    Updated the mod with working side-swinging shutters now.

These open nearly a full 180 degrees so your view won't get impeded. And they open & close really well and smoothly with no clipping (in the square wooden windowframe unit). As you can see in the photo, you can even have a grille of iron bars set into the window along with the shutters. A neat effect. (Note though: adding the iron bars makes it tougher to find the shutter hitbox on the inside. Still possible, just a little more hunting.)

Hope you all enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Very nice work! I think my favorite is the window thats hinged at the top, its really cool on archer towers :)

14. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Thanks much! Yeah, I rather like that one, myself.

15. TulliusT Trainee Engineer

Seriously, we need better Shutters. Shutters that can be colored.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    seriously.