Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Night WAY too dark

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by DrMaggot, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DrMaggot Trainee Engineer

Good morning gentlemen,

I come to you with a little problem and I have no idea what is causing this:
    The lights are not emitting nearly enough light and the night is very very dark. I just can't see anything besides the skybox when it is at its darkest.

http://www.noelshack.com/2015-13-1427286167-toodark.png
    http://www.noelshack.com/2015-13-1427286180-waytoodark.png

I have not modified the game in any way whatsoever and I'm just updating every week. It's been that way ever since night mode has been enabled like three weeks ago, and I first thought it would something that would be fixed but it doesn't seem to be the case and I see in people's videos that it's not like that for them. My character doesn't seem to be adapting his vision to darkness either.

So if you had any clue... I'd be grateful !

2. UnstableOrbit Trainee Engineer

I think the torches emit enough light, but the problem is that the light has such a short "range." The brightest torch will maybe illuminate two meters in either direction and that's it. This should not be the case, the range of illumination from the torches needs a serious buff.

However, as for night being too dark, I have to STRONGLY disagree. Light pollution has tricked many of Earth's population into thinking the night is supposed to be bright, and this cannot be further from the truth. I am just going to leave an example here.

On the left, we have what the night SHOULD be like(notice the darkness of the clouds), and on the right we have what light pollution tricks people into THINKING night should be like.
    [​IMG]

Also, I recommend you check this link out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bortle_scale. It is a scale of how dark the night sky is ranging from 1(natural, no light pollution) to 9(innercity sky, aka the crap I have to put up with whenever I try to use my telescope at night because New York City is too frigging bright). Notice how number TWO indicates that surroundings are just BARELY visible as outlines, and that is kind of what you get in the game as of now.

3. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Have you actually tried waiting a little bit? You know, there's that strange technology (maybe PBR is it, I don't know) which simulates your eye, so as soon as it gets used to the darkness you'll be able to see stuff.

4. Lukas Designer

Hello,

yes we have eye adjustment technology, that simulates eyes getting used to darkness. You should look for a few seconds into a darkness (ground for example) and then everything should be brighter (until you look at something bright again).

If you still see darkness and you can't see anything then its a bug.. in this case post a world and log. I will look into it

5. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

maybe a bit broader torch-light range or a way to produce a bit more light than a regular torch would be nice,and a simulation of moonlight. other than that, there wouldn't be light pollution in that era,so we wouldn't have the dull glow on surfaces and the bright sky we have nowadays.

6. UnstableOrbit Trainee Engineer

EXACTLY! Also, I am hoping eventually we can get a skybox like this, just to drive home the fact that there was no light pollution back then.
    [​IMG]

7. DrMaggot Trainee Engineer

As I said, I have been waiting to see if the eyes adjust to darkness. They don't.

This is by day :
    http://www.noelshack.com/2015-13-1427311359-light.png

This is by night after waiting for like two minutes. No adjustment what so ever.
    http://www.noelshack.com/2015-13-1427311298-plaindarkness.png

Also this is with a torch in hand:
    http://www.noelshack.com/2015-13-1427311314-stilltoodark.png

Here is the log. But I don't know what you mean by "post a world".
    http://wikisend.com/download/702934/MedievalEngineers.log

I'm aware of that, but even in plain night human vision can adapt to see at least shapes. In my case, it's just deep darkness all around.

8. Wintersend Senior Engineer

I've also experienced the bug where everything turns pitch black.

But I also have to say from having been out in the country away from cities that while it is still fairly dark, it isn't as dark as it is in ME.

9. UnstableOrbit Trainee Engineer

You kiddin me? The night sky in ME is too damn BRIGHT, at least in my game. ME's night sky looks like the irl sky half an hour after the sun sets, when it is still visibly blue.

10. Wintersend Senior Engineer

To me at least it is almost pitch black and I can't see a thing outside of torch light while not the best picture because it is in a lighted room here is what it looks like to me.

[​IMG]

I at least can't see a thing except for a vague hint that there might be a wall or floor if something is more than a few feet, or a meter or two for you fans of the metric system away from a torch. And it isn't really any better outside

Actually, here is one outside. Except for the mountain everything that I haven't lit up like a Christmas tree is too dark.

[​IMG]

11. UnstableOrbit Trainee Engineer

Hopefully the devs will just add a nighttime darkness slider similar to sunlight intensity. I like things the way they are now, but it seems alot of people do not. The darkness in that picture above is perfect to me. The sky could be made darker, but that's about it.

12. DrMaggot Trainee Engineer

Well I wish my lights were working as much as yours. :(

13. Lukas Designer

DrMaggot,

you were looking at the moon/sky, this is a source of light in the night, that's why your eyes did not adjust, in second picture, you were holding a torch.. which is a source of light right next to you eyes, that is why it was dark.
    With torch you will see clearly around you, but your eyes won't be adjusted to the darkness.. so you will see less farther away.

Which is what happens when you are holding an actual torch.

14. DrMaggot Trainee Engineer

Looking at the moon or at the ground doesn't change anything, it stays pitch black, I understood the whole adjustment to light thing... It's just not working in my game believe me !
    And I'm fairly sure there's a clear difference between the light emitted by fire in Wintersend pictures and in mines. And we're both looking at lights.

I'll try to uninstall/reinstall, maybe that'll help somehow...

15. Wintersend Senior Engineer

DrMaggot, you may be having a bug that I have on some of my games, this is actually my brightest but the only one I had screenshots of, where once it hits night or a I save it turns totally black and the torch can barely be spotted in my own hand. So I need to adjust the slider until it works around to the day again.

This is a separate thing from it just being really dark at night in game.

16. DrMaggot Trainee Engineer

Yeah actually the night fall is pretty fine until a certain point where it just turns pitch black, and the lights don't work anymore.
    Actually, they do, but they are very very weak. I experimented and it seems I can get decent lighting by stacking the lights... But one torch alone does not produce any light around them.

[​IMG]
    I re-installed and updated my drivers... Didn't change a thing.

17. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Ok, that's a separate bug. Not related to the night itself I don't think, although I do still think you should still be able to see things that aren't within range of a torch at night. That or increase the range of a torch or make it not die off as fast so it has like an inner and outer circle with what we have now being the inner so you don't need a torch every 4 feet to be able to see.

18. Lukas Designer

I see, i looked into it and it works as it should here. Maybe updating your .NET framework to the newest version would help.
    Try to change graphical settings.. see if that helps.
    I will try to reproduce here in the mean time.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. DrMaggot Trainee Engineer

Nope didn't change a thing, sadly.
    Well at least I discovered that it had some survival-horror potential as it was. :eek:ops:

Pretty Amnesia-esque isn't it ?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I need a retexture of the barbarian into Brutes. :D

20. Lukas Designer

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  21. Eddy Trainee Engineer

it might happen that devs will increase the range of the light at some point

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.