Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Nix large grid and integrate large blocks at full size in small grid

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Ludovsky, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ludovsky Apprentice Engineer

This is something I was musing about whilst looking at a bunch of different mods on Steam alongside many juryrigged "hybrid" builds using connectors or rotors juryrigging to mix small and large blocks together in a same ship.

Which at this rate has me begin to wonder.... might we not due for mixing all blocks together in the same grid, keeping their respective small and large block scales. Just together within the same unified grid.

To sum things up simply.... what if "large ship" armor block was instead merely just "large armor blocks" that could be installed right next to the existing "small armor blocks"(and perhaps a new "medium armor block)?

Stuff like refineries and assembler would remains as huge as ever, you just wouldn't have to build as huge of a ship to integrate them and instead build a small ship -around- the refinery which would be latched on its underbelly as large and heavy as ever.

Meanwhile people worrying about triangle count might have a point but I believe in the long run it might remain moot because most people intending to build things large would still use the larger blocks(now merely part of an unified grid system) merely out of convenience and perhaps even cost. It's not because it would be possible to built things humonglously large with small blocks that it is not something that would be tedious as all hell.

Otherwise, god knows we'd already have "smallgrid" megaships anyway.

In fact, integrating large blocks at their full scale into the smallgrid might actually make larger smallships both easier -and- less resource intensive because there would now be blocks able to more with less blocks while still keeping the ability to make some of the more detailed "rooms" people are making such ships for with nothing else than small blocks(and thus using more blocks than would be necessarily required using an unified grid).

If anything, I'd definitively would be curious to see a modder try to make a mod to that theme even if just as a proof of concept thing. Erase all of the large blocks and recreate them at their full original size within a small grid and perhaps new names to fit such an unified grid.

2. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

I can see merit in this, When it comes to building large ships, the size of the blocks restricts the shapes i can make due to its low resolution, mixing them together would allow me to make a Large Block Framework and apply small blocks to the exterior to create smooth shapes as i desire, and would make torpedo designs on large ships a lot more practical as the mass block costs will be less using the small blocks

The only issue i can see is block placement being a little tricky, a massive block like the refinery being placed on the small grid could be a bit of a pain, but i'd be willing to accept that to gain the extra design freedom

I'll just end by saying i think merging the two is the way to go in my opinion, rather than adding more blocks to the small grid, just make all the blocks on one grid for ease of use and seperate the blocks in the G menu by creating catagories of different sizes

3. Legas Trainee Engineer

I also support large/small grid compatibility. It would greatly improve building capabilities if the engine allows it.

Actually, they could simply remove the large grid altogether and simply add the formerlly large blocks as small grid variants (Retaining size and functionalities)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dragon0G Junior Engineer

I definitely want this in-game! I think some clever people actually found a config for it, too, so maybe the devs are thinking about adding it.

5. Sinbad Senior Engineer

collision detection is processed at the grid resolution. having a large armor block on the small grid would require 125 collision checks, not one.
    its a silly way to do it, I know. to me it would make far more sense for each homogenous block to have one collision box regardless of gridspace occupied.
    until that changes, all this would get us is a game that runs 125x slower for the same volume of ship.
    this idea was raised in the compound block thread before the current one. there is some good discussion on it there.

6. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

Small armor blocks take a hell of a lot more processing to render when you have enough to make a large ship, so no, nixing Large Blocks altogether is not a good idea. Having a way to integrate Small Blocks onto Large would be insanely useful though.

7. PilotMax Apprentice Engineer

I think that the bes way to go is some kind of a transition block that is same for both small and large grids and has a large-grid side and a small-grid side.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

There is a mod that does exactly this

BUT it has two downsides, its technically a Rotor ( although it doesn't move or look like one ) and as such is treated as separate by the physics , and you can't use all the block space around the edge as it would conflict with the bounding of any surounding large blocks

Primary uses are installing small grid timers and programming blocks to large vessels and creating small grid turrets as the this cross over block has a conveyor port on it

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514760877&searchtext=electronics

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516770964&searchtext=electronics

These are excellent mods if anybody here really wants to make a cross over ship

9. Malware Master Engineer

Step 1. Add rotor
    Step 2. Attach small rotor head to large rotor base and lock with landing gear
    Step 3. ...
    Step 4. Profit

(But yes, I'd like an official adapter - not mod. I don't use mods.)

10. PilotMax Apprentice Engineer

The official adapter is what I mean. Oh and I just tried the rotor adapter once, and it... BLEW UP MY SHIP!

11. Malware Master Engineer

Hehe. I obviously want an official adapter too, but this works ok if you use it right. I use it a lot.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.