Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

No iron ore in the forest?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help and Troubleshooting' started by Keschnarf, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Keschnarf Trainee Engineer

I'm playing ME for about a week now and started a little settlement in the northern forests but I don't find any iron ore there, only copper and tin. I have to travel a long distance to the south to get some iron for my research, tools and weapons.

Is it meant to be this way?

2. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

Iron ore is supposed to be more difficult to get than copper and tin. Once you have located the ore you need, you can use fast travel to gather it more quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Keschnarf Trainee Engineer

So it's normal, that there is no iron ore in the forest-belts?

Anyway, am I right that iron is just really essential for tools and weapons and everything else can be done with copper?
    In that case, it's no real problem to make an iron-trip to the south every now and then.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

You can pretty much play the game without iron with the exception of some of the last quests. Iron and steel tools/weapons work better but you don't need them to play.

5. Keschnarf Trainee Engineer

That's what I wanted to hear. :)

Thank you CptTwinkie!

6. Duke Anax Trainee Engineer

Sorry to say Cpt Twinkie, but iron is not more difficult to find, you just have to know that there simply is none in the forest, everywhere else, you don't even have to dig, you just have to pick up the ore chunks from the ground.

7. Martinowitsch Trainee Engineer

Oh ... thats why i coudn't find any ironore in the forest :(
    I thought i have to dig very deep to find iron, or it would be anywhere in the mountainarea.

8. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

That's not entirely true. The planet is a little more complex than only forest and not forest. There are different kinds of forest and there are transition areas between biomes. However you are correct in that there is no iron in the deep forest. It exists in forest grasslands and may exist in any transition area. It also exists in most other biomes. Also, there are different quality deposits. Higher quality ones are deeper and can only be found by surface ore stones. The lower quality ones are near or on the surface and will color the ground making them easier to spot.

You will not have any luck just digging a hole and looking for iron. Look for signs of it on the surface such as ore stones and discoloration. This isn't minecraft where ore is magically distributed everywhere.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Is that why it's so hard to find for the colorblind? :baby: (I approve of the decision to have Iron Ore sit on top of it, i just wish it was a little more different than regular stones. I was streaming a little Survival the other day and chat told me i was walking past a bunch of Iron i just didn't see.)

10. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

They are not the same as regular stones. They are the same as ore if you drop it from your inventory.

11. Duke Anax Trainee Engineer

I have trouble telling ore and small stone appart unless I'm really close and I'm not even colorblind. Also I often have trouble telling copper and tin veins appart from rock spots at a slight distance.

Granted some biomes don't have small stone so it's easyer to spot ore there, but the biomes that do have small stone I can't really search for ore, I stumble over it while passing through for another reason.

12. ibisgrunk Trainee Engineer

sorry to Keen but i turn off the grass which makes spotting ground items a lot easier. the game is much prettier with the grass, but when your starving a man has to do what a man has to do to eat! @duke anax try turning grass off for a little bit?

what i like is that gold ore on the ground looks like other ore especially copper, same with silver - i like that i have to earn finding those two. i came back to my castle from a Treasure Map* with randomly picked up ore and to my surprise i had 2 silver ore in my inventory that i had no recollection of picking up (i probably mistook it for Tin and just picked one or two up!). I have yet to find a silver vein - and only one gold vein inside a marked landmark (Traveler's Refuge?). But i have found enough on the surface to really not need mining silver or ore -- i do believe one silver ingot is 6 hours tax and one gold ingot is like 8 hours tax time so they are great to feed the claim with... (again Keen may want to make some silver and gold ornamental things as outside of claim payment they dont have a use at this time). i have found silver on the ground that totaled about 130 silver ore pieces... and that rebirths itself like every 3-4 human days.

the quality of the Steel tools and weapons, once you are capable of producing, make all other tools obsolete. i find once you get steel you really only pickup copper and tin for Metal Pieces production. this is also true for Iron - once you get iron you wont make bronze or copper tools/weapons imho. (dev team might find more extension of the copper and tin in ornamental pieces like a copper clad roof or tin cups?). @Keschnarf dont go back in ore quality - once you get iron dont build copper or bronze, once you get steel only build steel (when i go on a raiding party i often downgrade to more easy to build Iron weapons and tools rather than give my enemy steel in my death bag).

guys do what Capt said - if you build along a road, and put other claims touching that claim, it creates a Fast Travel reach we didnt see before 0.61. i find small iron deposits next to a road and do quick load ups (pickax the heck out of the small deposits until they are empty, then jump home) are all i need and unlike the other Planet we dont need to seed a Mountain Mine to get that pure iron deposit. i find most all the ore i need in a good country walk... remember use the copper and tin for metal pieces and make them in the anvil/forge so you dont use fuel.

[*if you can do a Trader treasure map and during that walk you will pickup enough ore of all types and may even stumble into silver and gold. plus a Trader map can give 5+ deerskin!]

Generally the new ores are great, its just they time out once better material is made... once you go steel you cant go back! The new world is more "get outside and gather resources" than the prior map which had large single resource plots (like 40 cabbage, or 60 wheat in one area - remember those days?). i find myself needing to Farm for the first time, and that is great in planet design.

@Keschnarf - (EDITED, its any metal, not just IRON)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  13. Duke Anax Trainee Engineer

It's not that the grass is blocking my vision, it's just that it is hard to tell the difference between ore and stone at a distance, both the chunks and the veins.

14. Keschnarf Trainee Engineer

@ibisgrunk - thanks for the advice. I am already using steel-tools only and use the copper, that I have in abundance, for metal parts.
    But it is not true, that one of the first quests lead you to an iron vein. I started in the forest biom and the quest lead me to a copper vein, which is absolute adequate for the first tools. ;)
    The later quests for steel tools and weapons just request to gather some iron ingots but don't lead you to an appropriate vein.

Now that I know, that there is no iron in the forest and that I just have to make a trip or two to the steppes or the poles to gather a fair stockpile of iron, everything is okay. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.