Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

No Mans Sky- impressions?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Light_gemini, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Nice, I am still not sure, I like the coloured space (though having the realism of black space is tempting!) so i think I will stick with it for now, that Low flight Mod is even more super tempting, given how annoying landing a ship accurately is but for now my screenies will be unaltered ;)

2. chrisb Senior Engineer

Agreed, you can go so far and then start to take away the games point. There again I do quite like the black space. On a planets surface, when you look up, all planets you can see in the sky are blue (or probably the colour of your atmophere on your planet). So it changes nicely as you pull out into space to the actual planet colours. Looks good.

But yes, HG will be doing plenty of stuff over the next few months, so not worth tinkering too much. But these are easy in easy out things, just to take a look.
    I'm not sure about the low flying mod. I would worry that too much crashing of the ship, may lead to profile corruption within the game, not sure.. Wouldn't want to lose all that I've collected.

Edit: a little more random footage:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Very nice!

I just clocked this one from Reddit, This should have been the games trailer!

4. chrisb Senior Engineer

Yep, shows how good you can get your videos, if you put the time in and have the patience.
    Great vid that, would be a good trailer.

5. DDP-158 Master Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. chrisb Senior Engineer

Loving NMS. Explorers dream.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chrisb Senior Engineer

8. chrisb Senior Engineer

Wow, Well done HG..
    http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/

Edit: some great features added. Building, which is nice, freighter ownership (I have one), which is also nice. Along with dozens of other things. A great foundation on which HG can build a, what could be, very interesting game. Enjoying it, although I was enjoying it before, so win, win...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  9. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

I was delighted to read the patch notes but I am not quick to forgive such silence and what not. They are actively working on the game so thats a good thing but for now I am still just holding back. I burned out on it previously and I dont want to rush in and do the same on a first iteration patch. Looking forward to owning my own freighter and home though once maybe another largeish patch has gone in to balance it all.

10. chrisb Senior Engineer

I didn't mind that they were working and not talking. I like the game as it was and didn't follow hype, so perhaps view it differently. The new update is a great foundation to build upon and make the game even better. Luckily they have left the original mode in too 'Normal' mode, so you keep your save and also benefit from the update features.

If a game starts getting a little stale and all games can and do, sometimes. I just rest them and play something else, I did the same with NMS, SE & others. Then when you return its like an old friend just nice to get back with.
    All games need resting, no matter how much you love them, they'll come that point, which is only natural.

11. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Ironically thats why I was caught playing SE this weekend, wanted to see what was going on. Drones work now I see :woot:

See I did mind the not talking bit, I understand they have their reasons and there are countless speculations which is the true reason but at the same time, its a business with customers, communication goes a long way and if there are people shouting abuse then let them, you still have a message to convey, silence conveys little to no message :(

Anyway, I dont want to get bogged down in negativity! from what I have seen so far the new spawn rates and survival mode are making it a very hard game to actually play now. A challenge never hurt anyone :p

12. chrisb Senior Engineer

All that you say is valid.

Regards the game, yes you'll find resources make more sense, for example they are much harder to find. Grow or form in clusters, so more naturally. Asteroids are now in fields more and harder to find which resource is which etc.
    Certain types of resource need upgrades to mine, even from where I was, which was mining everything before the update to having to start upgrading again to mine certain types. That is a good thing, they have raised the difficulty level, because if we're honest the game was very easy going. Can still be like that but now its in creative mode.

I like the fact pirates seem harder to fight, could be they throw a few more at you, but they did seem harder to me. I'm still on my second save from the games release, I lost my first life in the first couple of hours getting used to the controls and environment. Sinse then I've not lost my life, so yes the game was way too easy, but I did enjoy that. But the extra effort will be rewarding play wise now.

I bought a Freighter and have a GEK captain looking after some of my gear. Problem is he is in my previous system and I have to work out how to bring him into my current system. ???

Its good though.

13. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Aye that sounds a lot better, creative mode wont bother me I dont think but the normal mode was by far too easy. It's great being able to explore so much but it did feel a bit "what now" at times.

Looking forward to playing it though, I remember you saying you were stockpiling cash for your goodies....I havent even mined enough to get a full level ship in normal :woot: I will probably put in another 780 hours just building up funds to get a freighter only to then not want to play anymore....fast forward a couple of months and another update will come out to find me sucked right back in!

14. chrisb Senior Engineer

That would describe many games.. Going from update to update. We're human we all get bored eventually. That is why I rest games, 'rest' is a word for 'bored of it for now'. ;)

The freighter cost 7.5mil, which lets be honest in the other, prior update, game was very easy to get. But now.. Well I'm glad I saved for a rainy day, lets say. :)

I've got to find out if my freighter could be my base, I fancy a mobile base that follows me around. A fixed planetside base might suppress the need to explore, which is what the game is about really.. Exploring.
    So I hope I can have it as my mobile base. There is a compartment within the freighter to build in, I've not done much with that yet and I think my GEK captain needs to keep up a little. :woot:

15. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Ha! You say it might have been easy but I was struggling like mad to make serious cash, I was desperate to get my ship to max level but just gave up once they got to stupid prices. I think my current one was 33 million to buy and after countless failed recovery attempts for crashed ships I just had to stop and leave it there.

The freighters look interesting and calling them to your current system and indeed down to planet surface is apparently a thing but ive not seen it first hand yet or even in a stream for that matter so cant confirm. I have seen some screenies so here is to hoping they are non doctored results! It feels more true to the ideal if the freighter could be your base as you say so you can keep up the exploration aspect but can still really feel like you are home. Most of the planets I saw pre patch I wouldnt have dreamed of calling them home....

16. chrisb Senior Engineer

Just a great game.. That's going to get even better..

17. chrisb Senior Engineer

Going to a planet in a similar way I used to in SE.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.