Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

No threats on planets? 'New Encounters'?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by CookeRS, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. CookeRS Trainee Engineer

I thought upon returning to this Survival Update that it'd be cool to see some "new encounters" as per the announcement, but after many an hour playing, to my disappointment nothing has appeared on my planet of threat to me (yes I have all the drones/encounter settings on).

So what exactly are these 'New Encounters'? Are they just all in space? I feel there needs to be something engaging and interesting that happens on planets! With uranium only in space now, planets feel so hollow and meaningless, like they're just an obstacle before you 'get to space'... even then, hardly an obstacle, because you can just decide to spawn in space ...:?

Have Keen just decided to leave the encounters to the modders?

Zzzzz - boring! :(

Am i missing something? Is there more to come?... or are planets just these magical happy lands where nothing hurts you :p

Cheers

2. Therolt Trainee Engineer

We poked a mine layer above the moon and apparently it was sending out a signal for backup. (Which is just a lore friendly way of saying that something bad is going to spawn nearby)
    A few minutes later we encountered a crashed ship on the moon surface. It didn't look as if it spawned that way, but either the AI made poor judgement or it had under-powered thrust and crashed. It still had turrets available to fire with but we could manoeuvre into their blind spots fairly easily due to the grounding.

I think at the moment, we don't really have anything aggressive to deal with on planets right now, but I have this clip here that you may have interest in.

(Timestamp 24:39)

Its a completely different story in multiplayer though when someone finds your base and they decide to try and remove you from existence. Some people are very persistent...

3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@CookeRS you can enable spiders and wolves. I think the only pirate bases on planets is the Easy Start worlds. So yeah not a lot happening on Planets, yet. Sometimes I do prefer the quiet, gives me time to think out how to build. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I agree that pirate bases are only available on the easy start bases. But when I build a survival scenario, I usually plop a few in just to liven things up a bit.

5. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I'd really like if they added some pirate stations to the Star System start. Just so they're out there if you get bored and want some cheap action.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, that would be nice, but if you spawn in space you never have to worry about "action." The place is lousy with wrecks and bases and stuff. I did a "naked" start in space while back (just me and my hand tools) and quickly owned a station, then a bunch of wrecks, then the entire universe! Mu-ha-ha!!

7. Roxette Senior Engineer

Alternative hard mode start - start in space with just hand tools, cargo ships, drones, oxygen enabled and asteroid density = 0

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That sounds like fun. I’m all over that like stink on a gorilla!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.