Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

NoGrief plugin for SESE

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by rexxar, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. rexxar Senior Engineer

I started this plugin about a year ago, then promptly abandoned it as I didn't get any real user feedback. Since then I've been more and more active in the server community and I see a real need for it, so I've decided to rewrite this plugin from the ground up! With the new network intercept functionality in SESE, NoGrief is more powerful than ever before!

Current release: v2.0.0.238

NoGrief allows you to put very fine grained limits on what your players can and can't do.

Current features:
    • Paste limits
    • Protection zones
    • Exclusion zones
    • Projection limits
    Paste limits let you put a restriction on the size of grids players can paste in. This intercepts the network message, so there is no strain at all on the server when a player tries to paste an enormous ship. You can automatically ban or kick players who violate the rules, and send automatic messages publicly and privately. You can also choose to make admins or players with space master immune to the rule.

Protection zones are a bit rough around the edges, but it works. Anything inside the zone is protected by the set rules. You can protect grids from painting, placing blocks, removing blocks, damage, or deletion. You can also choose to make players inside the zone immune to damage. Admin exempt allows admins to circumvent any rule except damage. When StopGrinding is enabled, AdminExempt and OwnerExempt applies to grinding damage only.

When an exclusion zone is set up, any players not allowed in will be physically pushed away! They will also be shown a message telling them they aren't allowed to get near your protected area. You can allow players based on faction, or you can manually whitelist players by SteamID, and entities by EntityID. With the TransportAdd option enabled, any players or ships that you bring into the exclusion zone will automatically be added to the list of allowed entities or players.

For both zone types, all projectiles and missiles will be removed at the zone boundary. This means that players can't sit just inside the zone and attack people outside, and it stops people trying to snipe you while you're inside an exclusion zone.

Projection limits lets you limit the size of blueprints that players can load into projectors. If they go over the limit, the server will send them a warning message and it will ignore their attempt to change the projected blueprint. If you set AdminExempt, admins and projectors owned by admins can bypass the limit.

Planned features:

Better GUI: I'll import the grid protection GUI from Essentials eventually. I wanted to get base functionality in first.

Respawn ship tracking: Basically this will stop malicious players from ramming their respawn ships into other ships. When a respawn ship gets too close to a hostile grid their speed will be limited so they can't cause damage.

Action logging: The server will log everything players do, allowing you to go back and see who was causing problems while you were away. Players can have a chat command that generates an incident report, separating out the last ten minutes or so of the log into a new file so you don't have to search through as much junk.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SilentSymphony Apprentice Engineer

cant wait to set this up! the possibility's are huge!

3. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

That's actually really cool, @rexxar. I like the idea of both the protected zone and exclusion zones. Granted, I won't need this for my current server (friends only), but if I ever open it up or start up a public server, this would be #2 on my list, right after SESE Essentials.

4. Foogs Apprentice Engineer

Very nice @rexxar ! Without SESE, game is useless in multiplayer;)

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm a little confused on the paste functionality. Wouldn't that only be applicable to servers running in creative mode? Perhaps this is meant to be used against hackers who are pasting in ships to grief other players?

6. rexxar Senior Engineer

7. rexxar Senior Engineer

8. Aetrion Apprentice Engineer

Any way you could expand this by a feature that allows mobile grids to be "logged off" along with the player? Basically saved, deleted, and then placed back in the game when the player comes back? I think that would really be the feature that makes open multiplayer really work for both players and admins, because it would keep the server clean of abandoned grids without accidentally deleting things by people who would otherwise have come back to keep playing, allow people to play on their own schedule, even if they only have time for a few hours a week, all while also being a very powerful anti-grief tool that protects your stuff while you aren't around to do so. It would also give much more of a point to building static bases, because the ability to log off while your refineries keep churning away would then be restricted to static grids, since your ships log off.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  9. rexxar Senior Engineer

10. Aetrion Apprentice Engineer

Ah well, I think it's the one definitive thing open servers need in this game.

11. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

Hi Rexxar!

It would be too difficult on protection zone list allow it to add the entityid of a planet, (e.g) select a range of 80000 meters to make a complete planet PVE + its atmosphere? i try it but did not work. If that's a lot of coding work, it might be possible to add an GPS coordinates text box to protect everything that is in there bubble. (Suffice to put coordinate in the center of the planet and make a big enough bubble)
    I try to add this code to the source of the plugin but my newbies knowledges are still light years away.. :(

Regards

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  12. rexxar Senior Engineer

@Carlosmaid You should be able to select planets. I know SilentSymphony used an asteroid with no issue. I'll look at the code again, but make sure you've got the correct EntityID

13. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

@rexxar , recheck and confirmed is the correct id of a planet, sese error log show this every 1 sec0:
    2016-10-18 14:42:43.9243|Warn|Handler Problems: 500 - System.NullReferenceException: Referencia a objeto no establecida como instancia de un objeto.
    en NoGriefPlugin.ProcessHandlers.ProcessProtectionZone.Handle()
    en NoGriefPlugin.NoGrief.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<PluginProcessing>b__0()

The planet is modded, but i do not think this is related.

14. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

@rexxar , confirmed. Today the planet protected entity works fine :) thanks

15. Kevin Givens Trainee Engineer

Is it possible that you can add non damageable vowels to protection zones ?

16. rexxar Senior Engineer

Nope. I tried, it isn't possible.

17. Kevin Givens Trainee Engineer

ok, thats unfortunate. Can voxels even be buffed? As in more difficult to mine in a protection zone and another question, require a level 2 - 4 mining drill to be able to drill into such and or different types, example grass versus iron. or perhaps a cover 90 km radius which the server owner does which increases voxel strength on a protection zone, or gives certain ore voxels special properties. As in Iron cannot be mined without a level two mining drill, or increased so much that you cannot mine it very efficiently or hardly at all. Sorry for adding twenty questions into one reply.

18. rexxar Senior Engineer

Short answer, no.

Long answer, yes, but it would require a week's worth of reverse engineering network traffic and other very nasty things. I investigated this a long time ago, came up with a plan, and decided I didn't care enough to invest the time. And now I don't have the time, so it's pretty much a moot point.

19. System Error Message Trainee Engineer

people must be horrible that we need a plugin like this

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.