Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

NVIDIA 359.00 too bright (white screen)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by CptTwinkie, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. CptTwinkie Moderator

The latest and greatest from NVIDIA seem to be making things a little too bright. You might want to hold off on the updates or revert to 355.98 until we figure out why.

Not working on
    GTX 460
    GTX 460 SE
    GT 540M
    GTX 550
    GTX 550 ti
    GTX 560
    GTX 560 ti
    GTX 570
    GTX 580
    GT 630M
    GTX670M
    GTX 820M

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. fidgetwidget Trainee Engineer

Thanks so much for chiming in on this! The version that works is 355.98. There are a few newer drivers now, and all of them have the bright white issue.

3. CptTwinkie Moderator

There have been a lot of versions since 355.98. NVIDIA has been busy

4. Kaffeeteria Trainee Engineer

Is there any chance of fixing this? NVidia updates automatically and is now at 361.43. All other games work, so I don't want to roll back to 355.98 cause it will be overwritten as soon as the next update gets published.

My problem isn't only that the screen is white. The sound is bugged, too. I take two steps and the step sound gets echoed and repeated like crazy. The game is unplayable this way.

5. KyzoKyo Trainee Engineer

I just got the game... and it is unplayable as it is sooo white I cannot even see the ground... just a few trees in the distance.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Driver 10.18.31.5891

6. sinnern Trainee Engineer

I Also bought the game today and of course i have a 560 top. hopefully they will adress this issue soon

7. TheAlterans Trainee Engineer

Bought the game a few days ago and still have this issue, NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with latest driver and curently the beta driver, but both have the problems, I've even downgraded to previous drivers and all it does is switch to my Intel HD grapics, is you need any logs or anything let me know, would love to have this fixed

8. reecesporefan Trainee Engineer

I am experiencing the same thing with a GTX 570 with the latest nvidia drivers

9. CptTwinkie Moderator

You can switch GPU's in the game options. If it won't let you then odds are the older drivers didn't install correctly. Downgrading drivers is usually not as easy as upgrading.

10. Bloody_Kain Apprentice Engineer

Same here with my GTX 550 TI.

Buyed today in the steam sale...

11. severedsolo Trainee Engineer

No idea if this is helpful, but it's also affecting GTX460 (not SE) - I'm going to try rolling back my drivers, see if that helps. Luckily the Fallout 4 game-ready driver is the last compatible one.
    Edit: ok it's not the drivers. I'll make a new thread.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  12. goviwankenobi Trainee Engineer

540M dont work too i need help DX i don't like the tenshinhan bug

13. travisglasco Trainee Engineer

im having the same issue... too white... i have an nvidia geforce 820m

14. D10z Trainee Engineer

I also observe the problem with a NVidia GTX670M mobile GPU.

Sadly I can't tell you more helpful information for debugging.

15. kingtigerpz Trainee Engineer

Any chance that a fix for this is in sight?

16. CptTwinkie Moderator

There was some movement on this over the last few days. I think we're discussing it with NVIDIA at this time. Everything we can see is pointing to their drivers.

17. Glendrine Trainee Engineer

I first reported this bug several months ago, then updated with some things I had learned a couple of months later. Every week I start the game hoping there has been some improvement, but all I can find are temporary workarounds posted by other users. Workarounds are brilliant for the short term, but juryrigging should only be relied on so far. I have no desire to rant, but after this amount of time and being unable to play this game I think a certain amount of scolding is in order. Has anyone from Keen actually ever commented on what's causing this?

• Late Late x 1
  18. orb Trainee Engineer

Well, I finally needed to update the graphics drivers recently and I can add GTX 580 to the list.

I'm not from Keen, but I can comment that tonemapping is causing it.

Anyway, another workaround for the issue is to disable tonemapping, for example by editing "Content/Shaders/tonemapping.hlsl" and changing the 2nd line appropriately (i.e. uncomment "@define DISABLE_TONEMAPPING" line and replace '@' with '#'):
    Code:
    // @defineMandatory NUMTHREADS 8
    #define DISABLE_TONEMAPPING

#include <tonemapping.h>

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. CptTwinkie Moderator

Could I get confirmation from a few people that tonemapping is causing the issue? This might be a way we can provide a temporary fix.

Creative world > F12 > Render tab > Image settings > un-check Enable tonemapping (alt-click)

20. orb Trainee Engineer

Additional information:
    Disabling either tonemapping or eye adaptation will make the image brightness correct. After re-enabling eye adaptation the white brightness will return after some time (the faster the higher eye adaptation tau is set).

So more precisely eye adaptation is the culprit (disabling tonemapping simply disables also the eye adaptation).

• Like Like x 1
  21. joes2fst4u Trainee Engineer

How do we go back in versions to 355.98?

22. CptTwinkie Moderator

my best advice for reverting drivers is to download the driver from geforce.com
    extract the files from the installer using your favorite archive app
    run the installer as admin (this is why we extract the files)
    do an advanced setup
    click the clean install box during setup
    reboot if necessary

if you still have problems getting the older drivers installed then I do it manually by uninstalling the current ones completely(reboot) and then installing the ones you want (reboot again). This is kind of annoying and time consuming, so i usually try the advanced setup first.

23. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

CONFIRMED! This worked :)
    I have to disable Steam in game overlay to do this, is there another way to access the debug tools with Steam overlay enabled?

24. orb Trainee Engineer

Did you test both "eye adaptation" and "tonemapping" (separately), or only the tonemapping?

Change the "screenshot" key in the Steam client's settings. I have had no problems with accessing the debug menu with Steam overlay, but I changed the key for taking screenshots some time ago (because of conflict in another game which used it, too).

25. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Just the tone mapping, when I click the eye adaptation off I do not notice a change (white light is still gone) however I have not left the game run with this setting for any length of time (to see if it returns). Thanks for the info, hopefully this bug gets a fix for survival mode soon.

Double checked - confirmed if you turn eye adaptation off it also repairs the white light (This with tone mapping enabled).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  26. CptTwinkie Moderator

As said above you can change the screenshot key or you can use shift+F12 to open the debug menu. It seems to ignore shift for some reason but it's enough to get around steam.

27. orb Trainee Engineer

If that helps finding the cause, then the value returned by get_avg_luminance() in Shaders\tonemapping.h / AvgLuminance[uint2(0,0)] (texture register t1) is very small, higher than 0.0000001f but lower than 0.000001f (checked with if conditions, because I don't know of a way to print exact value of a variable in hlsl), and that's causing such brightness problems with the eye adaptation.

28. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Confirmed! Now how the hell didn't I check this thread out sooner... I would be nice if tonemapping was a toggleable option in the graphics menu, like it was in SE a few months ago.

EDIT: Weird, if use the debug menu and disable, then re-enable tonemapping and eye adaptation, the white light doesn't return.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  29. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Seriously; what is going on with this??
    NVidia has a majority of the market's GPU's out there, this should have some priority.
    Its been over a full annual Quarter, there should be a plan.
    The issue is known for a few weeks, there should be a work around for different game modes.
    NVidia and Keen have both put out repeated updates with no fix, no signs of effort toward a fix.
    Why had problem?

30. CptTwinkie Moderator

I've worked on this like 10 times already. Any time we have to contact NVIDIA about fixing something it's a very slow process. In the meantime, I've been trying to get the tonemapping checkbox re-enabled in settings as a workaround. There are some issues preventing that from happening as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.