Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

*Official Poll* Balancing Survival - Your thoughts and suggestions

Discussion in 'Survival' started by CommanderHerpDerp, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Nobodyhasthis Apprentice Engineer

Even better. Just don't land on planets with spiders. There nothing there that can't be found someplace else. Pointless to visit unless you are just bored again and want a bit of grief.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

Not realy becaus once you ind the ores you just mine alot of it and you can build like 5
    --- Automerge ---
    I have an idea for medbays instead of free spawning medbays will cost organic materials like trees ice uranium dirt and gold I chose these materials becaus there the most active ones once you fil yojr respawn youl get around 20 respawns so his will make cryopods uslfull and alien planet trees will allow you to have 35 respawns.
    --- Automerge ---
    You can save favourit server right click it and put it in add to favourit

3. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Make a large platform and place every block in the game including things like rotor heads. Then look at every blocks components and see if they make sense.

For example why does a small rotor head use 12 steel plates and 6 small steel tubes when its physical size is smaller than a small grid block...? And then why is a small grid advanced rotor which is the size of about nine small blocks is one steel plate and one small tube...? Or why is the small grid battery more than twice as powerful per power cell as the large grid battery...? Or the large grid rotor part 30 steel plates and 24 large steel tubes and the large advanced 5 steel plates and 4 large tubes...? Why are there no motors for the advanced rotor heads or the piston top part since they would need some to open the conveyor doors...? Or how could you fit 4 radio components into a two block space for the small antenna when they are each the size of a small block...? Or 2 large steel tubes that are each bigger than a small block into a small block projector that is only the size of a single small block...same goes for a small PB...? The game is riddled with problems like these that make no sense at all in a game that is supposed to be volumentrically based. There are many more so please, please take a couple hours and sit down and look at each block and all the components (set one of each components that is in each block next to the block so you can see if they fit or make sense in that block) and see if they make any sense at all. If you want bonus points, look at each block in each of its build states and see if it make sense to the final build stage and the components in it.

And please tell me how 25 half meter by half meter metal plates covers a 2.5 meter cube? How is that even possible? That would only cover one side, not six...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

Why it adds realism just live with it

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. System Error Message Trainee Engineer

Its the same question with cars irl, why is the engine so small yet so heavy and made out of heavier components compared to the body of the car? Why are both light and heavy armour blocks the same size? Its really because of function. Rotors would need to be strong to support the seemingly infinite weight you can put on one as the game doesnt easily allow you to have multiple pistons/rotors connected to the same grid.

Think of components as packed so that half meter area steel plate could be a bunch of em for each steel plate count in the game.

6. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

That makes no sense

7. Cirtex Trainee Engineer

I enjoy survival in its current state. But in every other survival game you face more than 1 or 2 enviormental hazards.

Personally I think an update with the following changes should be made:

Hot and Cold: It's cold in space and near the poles. It's very hot in Deserts and on Mars. I think making Air Conditioning a thing would be nice

Radiation: we are constantly lugging around Raw and refined Uranium and walking around Nucler Reactors... Should I be concerned by the fact that my player model has yet to grow a third arm? Perhaps the material Lead could be added and a new Radation proof block, Conveyor Block, and Door could be added to allow containment Zones.

Hunger/Thirst: ya this was coming. But since when does a survival game NOT have this? Greenhouses would house plants like Corn, Apples, Wheat, Onions, Carrots, Potatos, and Oranges galore. Ice would be melted to make Water, and Glasses and Dishes could be made with, dare I say it, Bulletproof Glass. Stovetops and refrigerators would be real. Full blown kitchens would become reality. New rooms on ships would be mandatory in order to go on long journeys.

CO2 Filtration: so are we like, not breathing anything out? What happens to all of the Carbon Dioxide that we Exhale?

Another use for O2: the Plants I mentioned before would also contribute to this, but currently there is only one reason for O2 and it's to stay alive. I'm sure that things like the Arc Furnace need SOMETHING to burn, and in order to burn you need O2. So a buff to the ARC furnace so it's more effective when you connect it to Oxygen. (and maybe can refine more than a few things. Maybe lead of its added)

Also. Oxygen consumption feels a little... Well... Easy... I have a full blown realistic world where I'm started on MARS and I have yet to even put a single dent in my O2 Supply. I think that the oxygen consumption and production needs some tweaking

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. System Error Message Trainee Engineer

Totally wrong. Its not hot or cold in space, in space there is only radiation, there are no molecules to transfer kinetic energy from one to another. The feeling of heat is the result of the motion and transference of motion from one molecule to another. Some planets will feel warmer or colder than space because in space you lose heat a lot lot slower than on a planet where there is an atmosphere full of molecules that will give or take heat from you. Heat can only be dissipated in space in the form of radiation and not kinetic energy. So if your spacecraft was 30C and you went in a space suit for a walk outside you will still be only slightly less than 30C when you get back, you will not feel the cold of space even if you were physically exposed, Only the pressure difference is the danger to being fully exposed in space and lack of oxygen.

Radiation from reactor, not as big a deal as you think. Reactors themselves are very tiny and the game itself already thought about the shielding which is what stone (concrete) is for. The main problem for radiation is from other sources like the sun, phenomenas and planets. These sources of radiation are much more dangerous than your shielded reactor. Electronics in space die because of radiation from various things rather than the electronics in a nuclear reactor which is already shielded. After ww2 they experimented with getting an aircraft to fly on a nuclear reactor, it worked and they managed to get the radiation down to safe levels but they never made a working combat prototype. NASA worries more about their crew safety to radiation outside the earth's atmosphere than the radiation from reactors, emf and such.

CO2 filtration realistically doesnt work like in sci fi. Space engineers is set in the near future. Current CO2 filtration systems require chemicals so space craft were never fitted with them. After a while in a mission the CO2 levels in a craft will increase but with liquid oxygen in tanks the % of air in the craft is maintained. This isnt sci fi, all that matters is the pressure in cabin and the O2 % in air. This can be regulated in a closed system.

With hunger and thirst what about going to the bathroom? Apparently going to the bathroom in space is more difficult than feeding astronauts and astronauts were allowed to cancel a mission if the bathroom in the space shuttle doesnt work even during decent. astronauts are fed some sort of algae or weird green goo that is nutritious, sustainable and easy to produce/maintain. How do you think the people on the ISS live there for a few years with very few visits?

oxygen farms are essentially plant farms. Take a close look and you will see plants. Plants realistically require sunlight and chemicals to convert CO2 into oxygen. Like existing CO2 filtration systems they require chemicals to maintain.

your Mars start base already has solar and farms, some of the starts have nice structures already built and the functionality is embedded in the looks as well that you dont notice it.

If you dont believe me, feel free to search the facts for what i mentioned.
    --- Automerge ---
    If it were realistic building in survival would be realistic too. Would you enjoy spending months of your real time just to build a space ship? Some things are scaled back for playability otherwise no one would play the game.

9. Cirtex Trainee Engineer

Ok I can agree with most of the facts you say. But im still gonna hold to the fact that it's hot on Mars and in deserts, and cold on the poles.

The other thing I will say is this: yes it is set In the near future, but exceptions can be made. I mean we have got a device the size of an RV that can refine mostly any solid ore into a refined ingot and a device as tall as a power pole that can seperate the Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms in water. So I find it hard to believe that at this point we can't make filters to remove CO2.

You talk about the present day standards for Space and all. But you're forgetting that in space engineer we have fixed stations, Artifical Gravity engines. And planets... So growing crops on a station, using Gravel as dirt to plant them then using the Water to give the plants some nutriants. You could make airtight green houses on space stations and cruisers.

When I referred to Radiation I more or less meant when the reactors were destroyed. And we ARE STILL HAULING AROUND HIGHLY RADIOACTIVE COMPONETS HERE.

Yes I understand that the steps back are there to keep the game fun. But all these things im suggesting would be things you would turn on in the Options menu. For the people who really wanna be hard core. Who really want a challange. The game has the potential for it. Definitely. Hell a mod for hunger already exists so it's clear the community Wants it.

So why not make it?

Also, ya we go for realism but in all survival games going to the restroom would simply be trivial. And again it's the future I'm sure at that point we have gotten a functioning blueprint on hand so astronauts can drop a duke

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  10. AlchemicalAgent Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. System Error Message Trainee Engineer

when a reactor gets damaged, the safety reduces power output, this is what should happen. If a reactor goes, it should blow up from that high temperature and pressure so radiation would be the least of the concern and besides many make big ships and put the reactors in a seperate room. If the armour blocks are sufficient to handle radiation from the outside they should be able to do the same to contain radiation from a reactor

Devices to seperate hydrogen and oxygen have existed for a while. Its basically hydrolysis but applying way more electricity than we do now. 128KW is a lot of power. a gaming PC uses 0.5KW. A lot of things in space engineers already exist, some things are there purely for gameplay reasons as if we didnt have artificial gravity, mass blocks, jump drives space engineers would be more difficult and take forever.

Perhaps a game mode for those hard core people who want to spend months to years of their lives on the game, its a good idea but dont forget the game updates regularly so things can break, breaking your gameplay. Dont forget to add bathrooms because thats a challenge :p . Its true, an atmosphere in the cabin and no gravity makes it difficult.

Movies always gets realism wrong. When liquid goes into space it just stays as large molecules of liquid. Liquid has a tendency to form roundish shapes. Some things will just disperse but they dont freeze. If movies were realistic nobody would watch them.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.