Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

One Billion Space Credits or Bust!

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet. — Lau Tzu

I started a new single-player survival game with default settings, landing on the Mars-like planet in a respawn pod with nothing but a grinder, gun, and guts...and a welder, hand drill, an oxygen and hydrogen bottle, a datapad, and an attitude. The datapad indicated a neutral trading station about 35 km away. Sure, I could have jetpacked my way over there, but I needed the resources that the respawn pod offered.

My first order of business was to pimp my respawn pod using a tried-and-true Spiff's Practical Engineered Solutions process. You can see how I did it here:

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/optional-mobility-for-vanilla-survival-without-a-jetpack.7403353/

I broke down the mini-base that I'd used to attain air mobility, stuffed it all in cockpit storage and a medium storage container that I had to add to the back of the pod for all my loot, then headed for the trading station. I noted that my ore detector no longer picked up ores within about a 5-km radius of the trading station... nothing... nada... zip. Interesting. I was running on borrowed time with the respawn pod's battery, so I searched only until I found a nice iron-nickel-cobalt formation, near a large ice supply, about 15 km on the other side of the station; I also noted nearby ore deposits of gold, silver, silicon, and magnesium.

Starting with components from my original mini-base, I added a large cargo container, then my first advanced refinery, then an advanced assembler with speed modules, yield modules for the refinery, and so on, hand-mining enough iron, nickel, cobalt, silicon, and gold to build it all, then more refineries with yield modules, another largo cargo container, another advanced assembler with speed modules. Of course, power was a premium, so I kept adding wind turbines to run it all, but eventually replaced all of the wind turbines with a single small reactor once I'd attained uranium ingots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although getting to a billion space credits was not my original goal, my anticipated Mars base expansion project was going to take a lot of resources...more than could be found on the planet, so I immediately started construction of my favorite survival ship, Uranium Express, and was soon headed for the stars with enough components to start building an offworld refinery complex.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805379684

[​IMG]

It has always been my survival game objective to get to space as early as possible to gather resources; asteroid ore deposits are usually larger, purer, and easier to get to than planetary ore deposits. Besides, two important ores, uranium and platinum, are not found on any planets. I found a nice asteroid just beyond the Mars gravity well that had iron, nickel, and ice, key ingredients for building my space-based refinery complex and powering my ship. I tunneled in one end with the Uranium Express and set a warhead to open up a cavern for the refinery. Once the initial spherical cave was created, I punched inward another 15 blocks and set off a second warhead. The resulting cave was dumbbell-shaped with a raised ridge around the middle periphery. I built a floor, chipping out the excess ridge stone where necessary, set in a large cargo container with an advanced assembler on top, and built my first refinery. I gathered a bunch of iron to produce yet more refinery components, found gold for yield modules, etc., etc., using one refinery and the assembler to produce materials for more and more refineries until I had 36 of them all crunching ore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometime during the refinery complex building process I decided to expand my ore gathering capacity, so I set up a projector and built another one of my designs, Dirty Ore. I added another half-dozen drills to decrease the drilling (i.e., ore collection) time, which helped tremendously.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1392499544

[​IMG]

Complete with a jump drive and 15 drills, this 'ole girl will get it done quickly, and certainly much more quickly than the Uranium Express. Soon I had stockpiled many tons of different ores and had all 36 refineries humming away. My goal was to load up Uranium Express with tons of ingots, wafers, and powders, and head back to my Mars base to begin the base expansion process. And, after many days of refining (pretty much just letting my computer chug away) I had over 30 tons of uranium ingots, 40 tons of platinum ingots, and many, many more tons of everything else. So, I parked the Dirty Ore and loaded up the Uranium Express. To deal with the excess load created by all the mass of all these ingots, wafers, and powders loaded into the Uranium Express, I added half a dozen large atmospheric "lift" thrusters and a large reactor for the requisite power; this configuration was able to safely make it back to the planet's surface.

Until this point, however, I had not visited the Mars trading station. So, before getting started building, I flew my now-empty Uranium Express over to the trading station and checked it out. I soon realized that could sell excess ingots and parts for space credits, and space credits could be used to buy ships. But by this time I already had a couple ships, so I really didn't think I needed another one. I quickly buzzed back to my base, loaded the Uranium Express with ingots and parts to sell, and headed back. After gaining several hundred thousand space credits, I decided to do some search contracts. I loaded myself with an extra hydrogen bottle and buzzed around looking for probes. Some were hard to locate because they're small and blend in with the planet's surface so well. Even though I doubled my space credit inventory, it seemed like a lot of work for so little gain. The big "bucks" seemed to be in the hauling contracts, and I right away saw that I needed a new ship that could jump large distances. Triggerfish was born from that epiphany. (Why the name "Triggerfish" you ask? Because it kind of looks like a triggerfish. Only reason.)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1853378028

[​IMG]

With 8 jump drives, this baby can jump 16,000 km at a time! Soon I was tearing up space going from one hauling contract to another! Before leaving for space, however, I loaded that puppy up with gobs of ingots, wafers, and powders to sell. And away I went.

At first, every trading station I visited lead me to another trading station I hadn't visited. In relatively short order I had mapped trading stations over nearly a 60,000-km range. Getting the 1,000,000 credit achievement for Space Engineers seemed trivial given the speed at which I was gaining credits. It was soon thereafter that I decided to go for one billion credits. Oh, man, getting them was absolutely tedious, but once I started there was no way I wasn't going to complete my goal!!! I felt like I was on a merry-go-round going from station to station to station. Hauling contracts weren't the big buck generators...selling uranium and/or platinum ingots via acquisition contracts was the way to go. I could get as much as 15,000,000 space credits for a single transaction. So that's what I did, as well as selling everything else under (and around) the sun. I'd have sold your mama if she'd been along for the ride!

[​IMG]

At last. The goal is met.

[​IMG]

I am so done with this! But this is my story.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Congrats!

I decided to fart around with my base and improving my ships so I am still around 200 mil.. Ya I am a slacker!

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I was dinking around in creative mode a bit ago and realized I could've just be-bopped over to that mode and spawned a billion just like...{snap}...that! Oh, no...I had to do it the hard way... :(