Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Optimal start for the best survival experience

Discussion in 'Survival' started by aka13, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. aka13 Trainee Engineer

Hello fellow forummembers,

Long-time lurker and player here. I have not played for about 6-8 months and feel the urge to play SE again. I avoided starting new worlds since after the planets update and I think that I am now finally in the mood to try it out. What are your experiences with starting on a planet in survival? The default start with pirates and a base seems more like a tedious grind for magnesium to prevent drone attacks with tons of ammunition.

Can somebody recommend me a good way to start a "new" game with kinda the same feel as the old 1 platform with refinery+reactor had? Like searching for ressources and assembling your first buildings/mining ships without being attacked nonstop earlygame? Any help is appreciated!

2. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Do the solar system start and spawn yourself an atmospheric lander. (You may have to suicide and respawn if you get the banana boat by default) land it somewhere without any pirate bases nearby and start your exploration. Getting around on a planet by wheels is interesting and fuel efficient, while a planetary miner is much more of an engineering challenge than just putting a drill on a cargo box like in space. I found working on a hydrogen rocket to get everything I need into orbit to be a lot of fun, once I get back to the game it's time to start working on establishing an orbital habitat.

3. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

There are no pirate bases (yet) in the Solar System world type. So far, they only spawn in the Quick-Start variants.

4. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Ah, been a while since I played it. Even better, there won't be any hostiles until orbit.

5. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

OP: You can start a "Star System" game and play the default planetary lander version, though I recommend you play with wolves turned off. They get tedious after about 20 minutes. Also you can suicide and respawn in space ships as well as you can start in a planetary lander on Mars or the Alien world if you want something different.

As for space pirates, I started a new Star System game and respawned in the yellow space ship and played for a several hours and never saw a single pirate of any kind even though I made sure they weren't disabled and restarted the game multiple times. I wonder if there's a new bug or if it's just me?

6. Devon_v Senior Engineer

An Argentavis buzzed my shipyard in my creative world, so they do seem to be functional.

7. aka13 Trainee Engineer

Thank you very much everyone! No hostiles before orbit on one hand sounds great, on the other hand it will be propably boring, as the dogs really get tedious after the first ten minutes of gameplay, as soup toaster said. I remember playing around with them just after they got added, when the explosions were turned off. What about the space pirates? Is it still an argentavis/something else spawning, flying to a specific distance and then spamming you with drones?

8. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Orbit isn't that far away. Nickel is the only challenge to find so you can make metal grids. With just a supply of hydrogen and a lucky uranium find you can refit the lander for space travel. You can still work just with the solar panels in your cargo, you just have to watch power usage more.

Pirates either fly one of their ships around and spam drones at you, or you'll encounter pirate stations

9. aka13 Trainee Engineer

Pirate stations? How rad is that, I cant wait to start and get off to space in that case :D

10. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I have still yet to see a live Argentavis.....

11. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Many updates ago they decreased their probability of spawning drastically.

12. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I also found out that if you are very close to planets, ie at the limit of gravity where the closest roids spawn, cargo ships will spawn and go kersplat into planets. Found a huge cargo ship graveyard on earth via space master after I started to poke around after many in-game hours without seeing a ship spawn.

This was supposed to be fixed. It isn't anymore.

13. System Error Message Trainee Engineer

i never see that on my server. pirates dont go anywhere near gravity. Bases and cargo ships spawn from time to time in space and are ruthless. I dont see pirate bases on planets either but i spawn the planets on my server instead. I have both procedural asteroids and planets on my server so you do get asteroids in space and in orbit around a planet within the gravitational field.

Shooting those cute wolves are rewarding, they drop components which you can disassemble for the ingots.

Or if you want you can give my spawn ship a try. Its very much like the atmospheric lander but with much more ammo, cryo, all 3 sets of thrusters and it requires the stone and gravel to metal ingots mod. I use the mod so i dont need to waste stone. Its rates are low enough that mining stone isnt a thing but you also dont need to throw stone away. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=786748825 . This however will enable every stock spawnship as well. I use this as it gives you the freedom to start where you want in a solar system, and to fly to the planet you want to start on.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.