Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Optional Mobility for Vanilla Survival without a Jetpack

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Spaceman Spiff, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I was recently replaying a modified version of my Desperate Foothold survival scenario, but without Splitsie's Assertive Air Traffic mod and instead with the Skallabjorn's Wolves and Spiders on Earth, Mars, Moons and Alien Planets mod. Here are the links for each:

Desperate Foothold: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1806198815
    Assertive Air Traffic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1783770978
    Wolves and Spiders on Earth, Mars, Moons and Alien Planets: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1834611937

The challenge was surviving the spider and wolf attacks without the benefit of a jetpack to escape. Furthermore, it was my desire to scout a decent location with copious quantities of iron, nickel, and cobalt for building infrastructure for a planetary facility. On the other hand, looting the spider and wolf bodies for parts was very useful for more quickly achieving my goal.

The most expedient process lead me to converting a vanilla Respawn Planet Pod into a ship capable of planetary flight, since the pod contained 90% of the necessary structure for flight. Completing it only required 6 additional primary components: 1 cockpit, 1 gyroscope, and 4 atmospheric thrusters for directional control; and 4 additional secondary components: 2 armor blocks and 2 small conveyor tubes to connect the cockpit to the pod and provide an air supply. (My first attempt was to utilize the already available hydrogen thruster for lift and repurpose the four atmospheric thrusters for forward/backward and left/right directional thrusters, but the single hydrogen thruster was not powerful enough to lift the ship and the use of hydrogen thrusters requires both an initial supply of ice and a dependency on more ice for sustained flight.)

Unfortunately, the gyroscope requires 1 large steel tube and each of the 4 atmospheric thrusters requires 1 large steel tube and 1 metal grid, all of which cannot be produced by a survival kit and instead need to be produced using a basic assembler. Furthermore, the metal grid requires cobalt, so I needed a basic refinery and source of cobalt to complete the conversion process. Therefore, I needed to build a basic assembler, basic refinery, and a source of power for both (not necessarily running at the same time).

Now that I've successfully run through the exercise, I've cataloged the process in text and in pictures for anyone else interested in how I did it with the least amount of effort and cost. The process described below assumes you start with default settings and that progression is enabled, i.e., default survival settings.

1. Here's the beginning...a safe planet landing. Remove the automatic rifle and 3 magazines from the passenger seat.
    [​IMG]

2. Grind away the first front layer of armor blocks (6 blocks total) from the passenger seat space.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Grind away the passenger seat.
    [​IMG]

4. Hop up into the passenger space, crouch, and move back to the small cargo container that is to the right of center. Grind the small cargo container until you're below "hack" level, then rebuild it; you will get progression credit for building a small cargo container that will allow you to build additional conveyor components.
    [​IMG]

5. Hop out of the passenger space, crouch, and grind the front landing gear until you're below "hack" level, then rebuild it; you will get progression credit for building a landing gear. You will need to do this so you can build a cockpit. Now grind away the front and back landing gear for parts.
    [​IMG]

6. Hop back up into the passenger space, crouch, and move back to the small curved conveyor tube that's located above the small cargo container. Grind away the small curved conveyor tube and replace it with a small conveyor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Add two small conveyor tubes to the small conveyor; this will be the oxygen connector point for the cockpit that you will add later.
    [​IMG]

8. Climb back out of the passenger space and grind away the second front layer of armor blocks (14 blocks total) from the passenger space.
    [​IMG]

9. Place and build two armor blocks directly above the front landing gear as a backing surface for properly aligning and installing the cockpit.
    [​IMG]

10. Place and build a cockpit in the center of the passenger space; you will be missing 30 bulletproof glass, 15 computers, and 5 displays. The bulletproof glass is not required for the cockpit to be functional, but you must complete the cockpit to build gyroscopes and thrusters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Mine 2½K of stone and process it in the survival kit; produce the 15 computers and 5 displays that are necessary to complete the cockpit to a functional level; weld the cockpit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Place and build a gyroscope in a convenient location on the ship (I placed it behind the cockpit, attached to a small conveyor that's accessible underneath); you will be missing 13 steel plates, 3 computers, 2 motors, and 1 large steel tube -- getting the 1 large steel tube will require extra work (unless you find one lying about somewhere; they can usually be found for free when looting bodies of spiders and/or wolves). And, as stated earlier, you will need 4 additional large steel tubes and 4 metal grids to build the 4 atmospheric thrusters for directional control.
    [​IMG]

13. You will need to build a basic refinery, basic assembler and a source of power to produce the required large steel tubes and metal grids. Assuming you only have access to the basic non-mod components, your large-grid choices are a wind turbine or solar panels (if building on a moon, you cannot use a wind turbine. The basic assembler requires 80 steel plate, 40 construction components, 10 motors, 80 computers, and 4 displays; the basic refinery requires 120 steel plates, 20 construction components, 10 motors, and 10 computers; the components necessary for your source of power depend on the type you choose. Regardless, you will need to mine and process another 50K of stone, minimum, to be able to produce the basic refinery and basic assembler, PLUS sufficient excess to produce your source of power. Before you start mining, however, dump your excess parts (should be 15 interior plates and 10 construction components, and perhaps the rifle and magazines) into cockpit storage to increase your personal (suit) storage space to 3.1K capacity for mining stone. (Note that some of the above parts can be gathered by looting and grinding drop pods, but you'll spend more time doing that than mining and processing the stone which you'll need to do anyway.)

14. Mine about 50K of stone and process it in the survival kit; produce the required 200 steel plates, 50 construction components (you already have 10), 20 motors, 90 computers, 4 displays that are necessary to build and complete the basic refinery and basic assembler. You'll also need to produce 13 steel plate, 3 computers, and 2 motors to mostly complete the gyroscope; weld those components into the gyroscope.

15. Place the basic assembler at a convenient location, embedded in the ground to establish it as a "station"; build it.
    [​IMG]

16. Now is when you must decide on your power source for the basic refinery and basic assembler. The following provides the minimum configurations for powering each. You can, of course, decide to build more wind turbines and/or solar panels to power both at the same time. Since both power sources require nearly the same amount of mined stone, the power sources are provided in the order from the most-to-least preferable in terms of flexibility and performance.

a. Wind Turbine (requires 1): Beyond your current ingot inventory, mine about 8K of stone and process it in the survival kit; build the wind turbine using 40 interior plates, 20 construction components, 24 girders, 8 motors, and 2 computers (remember that you currently have 15 interior plates in cockpit storage) at a level at least 3 large-grind blocks above the basic assembler to get enough turbine speed to power the assembler; the wind turbine should report "good" for its wind clearance; available power is unlimited since it runs all the time. Use a single steel plate as a scaffold for each of the armor blocks used to build the wind turbine base frame (8 required, as shown).
    [​IMG]

b. Solar Panels (requires 2): Beyond your current ingot inventory, mine about 6K of stone and process it in the survival kit; build the two solar panels, with their direction facing the sun, using 8 steel plates, 28 construction components, 24 girders, 8 computers, and 64 solar cells (the 8 bulletproof glass are not required for the solar panels to be functional); available power will be limited to daytime use only.
    [​IMG]

17. Move all ingots out of the survival kit and put into the basic assembler. Using the basic assembler, produce 1 large steel tube; complete building the gyroscope.

18. You will need to build 4 atmospheric thrusters using 12 steel plates, 88 construction components, 72 motors, 4 large steel tubes, and 4 metal grids. Mine 24K more stone, or 1.8K of iron ore and 0.3K of nickel ore, and process using the basic refinery; you'll need a total of 855 kg of iron ingots and 127 kg of nickel ingots to produce the steel plates, construction components, motors, large steel tubes, and metal grids. Find a source of cobalt ore, mine 0.04K, minimum, and process using the basic refinery; you'll need 4 kg of cobalt ingots to produce 4 metal grids. Move the iron, nickel, and cobalt ingots into the basic assembler.

19. Using the basic assembler, produce 12 steel plates, 88 construction components, 72 motors, 4 large steel tubes, and 4 metal grids; place and build 4 atmospheric thrusters at 4 convenient locations on the ship to provide forward/backward and left/right motion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. If desired to complete the cockpit, use excess silicon in the basic assembler to produce 30 bulletproof class and weld into place.
    [​IMG]

21. Marvel at your engineering prowess!
    [​IMG]

Flight time is about 30 minutes based on a minimal load. Scout your new location, go back to your temporary base, break it down and load it into your modified drop pod, and carry them home to start your new home.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

Nice. I do about the same but without building the stationary infrastructure. Two Atmos for flight and one for forward propulsion and fly it like a helicopter. There's enough parts to do this with minimal stone refining. Also using a remote control block instead of a cockpit will save you some components as well.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.