Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Orbital Tether | Planet-to-Space Elevator

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Rity, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Rity Apprentice Engineer

I'm really proud of this one, if you have any thoughts or questions about feel free to leave them here or on the video

• Like Like x 8
  2. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

*squints*
    Is that Ashley?

3. Rity Apprentice Engineer

4. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Why must this game test me so?

5. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

Beautiful design.

6. Jones-250 Apprentice Engineer

Very pretty, though clearly somewhat performance unfriendly.
    In respect of this work of art, I'll "borrow" some aesthetic details and directions for my own, notably smaller and simpler, elevator design once planets are released.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say.

Once more, well done.

7. Steelhelix Trainee Engineer

Are you willing to share the world file so that I can get a better look?

Thank you,
    Steelhelix

8. Rity Apprentice Engineer

Once I finish it, maybe. last time I uploaded something and it got a bit popular there were like 7 submissions just reuploading and painting it differently or adding a block or two with no credit. I know it doesn't matter but that shit just bothers me.

At very least I'll finish it first.

9. Stiletto Apprentice Engineer

'Tis a lovely, lovely and rather well designed planetary tether, Rity.

I really like on how it looks indeed, quite snazzy. :D

However, it is quite performance heavy, perhaps you could make a more FPS friendly version? Less snazz, I suppose? Not sure on how you're going to manage that, though. :p

When planets are releases, I had plans to build one of those, but I had a whole different concept for it, that serves the same function, hehe.

Thumbs up on the creation!

10. DakotaShock Trainee Engineer

I am blown away by this, the pure amount of detail catches what a lot of sci-fi has in futuristic shows/movies. The elevator really screams Halo and Gundam 00 ^_^

Quick question(s): Is the orbital station vacuum proof? Or in layman's term is it air tight? Also what mod is it for the wooden/veneer floors?

11. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Is the station inspired by the logo or vice versa? Like how one resembles the other!

12. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Absolutely beautiful.

13. Rity Apprentice Engineer

All that is technically required is 4 rails per car. But to be honest, I like the way mine is and if i had to drop it to bare bones to get stable FPS I just wouldn't make it.

I'm working on it, however glass is proving to be impossible to use, and generally it is hard to find the weird quirks of the system. It is planned to be though.

logo was made after the station/for the station.

Thanks!

14. Bladed Dingo Trainee Engineer

Hey Rity, Love the station, looks awesome.

One question, the door you used to enter the elevator car, where can I get that? looks awesome and I can't find one on the workshop

15. Rity Apprentice Engineer

16. Kanazawai Trainee Engineer

Crazy thing...i like it^^
    But while watching this i asked myself: in real, where not everyone is a hardened space veteran...wouldn't it be better to have a closed cabin without windows, so you don't see the ground vanish below you?! :D

17. Rity Apprentice Engineer

Yeah honestly It's a bit unnerving to ride even in game, couldn't imagine what it would be like IRL.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

IRL I have trouble making it to the top of a lighthouse ... so I'm pretty sure I would be plastered to the floor of this sobbing for my mother. Assuming you could get me on it in the first place.

I just love that things like this can be made in the game. I can't wait to see this on an actual planet.

19. estile606 Trainee Engineer

when planets come out, I so want to make something like this, put a diving board at the top, and then put a text panel down planetside daring people to take "the high dive"

20. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

This is soooo impressive! Really great job on both, the build and the video!

21. ProfessorFalken Apprentice Engineer

If I remember correctly from one of the devs redit posts. Its about 40 km from the surface to the edge of a planets gravity. That would mean that it would take 16,000 station blocks to get a single line of blocks into orbit. A 3x3 pillar with a conveyor in the center would be 144,000 blocks. The math for that is as follows (with light armor slopes on the corners):
    -------------------------------
    2,592,000 steel plates
    64,000 Bullet proof glass
    96,000 Motors
    192,000 Small Steel tubes
    640,000 Construction Components

welding by hand would take 222 days

63,712,000 Iron bars
    960,000 Silicon Wafers
    480,000 Nickel Bars

The raw materials would fill 21 Large Cargo Containers. Several more will be required to store the intermediate components since they take more storage space than their raw materials (2.6 L for the Iron to materials to make one steel plate that takes up 3 L of space)

It would take 10 assemblers 649 days to make the required components
    --------------------------------
    So... not something I think anyone will do in creative. Even just a single line of conveyors would take 1866 hours to weld with a single welder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Rity Apprentice Engineer

That shouldn't take more then a few years of my life, no big deal. Unfortunately though, when building this I assumed it would be somewhat based on Earth's current atmosphere/diameter ratio, and assumed that in SE the distance would only be around 1-2km. I guess to have something like that the ships docking at the station would pretty much need to be able to fight 1g anyway, making the elevator moot. I guess we'll see.

23. adamvansanten Trainee Engineer

Rity, this is absolutely amazing. I've found this video a few weeks back on YouTube and I've been sharing it with friends. Your creation is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in this game.

Did you build it in the compiled source code or something? As you already have planets in the video. And how high is it exactly? Lots of questions, but I'm just very very impressed (and jealous, I want to build one too, but I don't have your mad design skills so mine will just be an ugly tower).

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

This is really great. I think the next challenge would be to build a space elevator with a vehicle that can also weld new sections as it travels upward.... a self-building elevator. The design would have to be tubular with a station at the bottom for reloading components.

25. ProfessorFalken Apprentice Engineer

I picked the edge of the gravity field so that jump drives could be used near the station. I suppose that you could make the distance shorter and rely on Ion thrusters for station keeping, but that would use a lot of power on the ships.

The better option would be to make an automated welding platform that would clime conveyor tube and weld as it went along. If the platform had 4 welders, it would finish the tower on its own in 3 weeks. Assuming it has all of the materials it needs. The math for that is...
    ---------------------------
    160,000 steel plates
    64,000 Bullet proof glass
    96,000 Motors
    192,000 Small Steel tubes
    640,000 Construction Components

12,640,000 iron bars
    960,000 Silicon Wafers
    480,000 Nickel Bars

raw materials would fill 5 large cargo containers

It would take 10 assemblers 192 hours to make the required components
    -------------------------

This seems more doable, as long as you know that you wont be attacked during construction. It would also take a good programmer to write the script to make the platform return to the ground when it needs more materials.

The biggest problem with the idea of an orbital tether would be hostile players. Not with direct attacks because of the size of the tether and the relatively simple design, repairing it would be easy. Especially with the automated welding platform. If there is damage somewhere on the 40 km path, you would just activate the platform and let it move along the tether again to repair/replace the conveyor tubes. The problem would be if they find the main cockpit, hack it, and turn the station grid into a ship grid. The conveyor tube alone is 12,352,000 kg. With one malicious attack that would take less than a minute to accomplish, they could send the entire tether crashing into the planet.

26. Rity Apprentice Engineer

First off, thanks a ton for all the support and I'm glad you liked it. I've been trying to get my Channel going for awhile but it's pretty hard to start out, so people that go around sharing it like that are awesome. About the planets though, it's actually just two skyboxes being swapped out because the source code planets are great, and that build of the game didn't have the wheel fixes that make this possible. So for the height, it's actually broken into two parts and recorded/edited so it looks like one unit. Doing it this way helped get better FPS for the video so hopefully at some point the game gets optimized enough to allow the full thing without crippling lag.

I thought about making it automatically build itself,however considering how expensive this would be going out to the original 1-2km distance planned, I figured a faction/clan/person would only build one of these, if any. Considering it wouldn't be made very often I didn't really feel like making a whole system of self construction was necessary when a big gravity-fighting welding wall would do nicely.

Yeah I've been mulling the gravity well problem (with ships not really being able to dock without being able to fight gravity themselves, which makes the elevator redundant) and I can't seem to find a solution that makes the elevator worth building. It's a shame that this is how Keen chose to implement planets. I think if it were up to me I would have either

1. Made decent/proper orbital mechanics AND the large gravity field ( in the elevators case would have helped with the ships needing to fight gravity just to dock)
    or
    2. While the large gravity field is interesting and immersive, without orbital mechanics is an awkward problem to face with anything but brute force(thrusters). So I would have just made the field smaller, around 1-5km, without orbital mechanics.

27. SparkyFox Apprentice Engineer

do you need any help?

28. Merandix Junior Engineer

Is it 100% wheel powered?

I love the thing, and I've been using it as an example of an extremely cool design for space elevators while designing something a bit more practical for when planets hit.

29. ProfessorFalken Apprentice Engineer

Well, until we get to test it, we wont know how much thrust is required at various altitudes to hold position. As for docking ships, I would not allow any ship to merge to the tower directly. It would be too easy for someone to accidentally convert your tower into a ship before they un-merge. Instead, I would build a series of floating docks (stations) around the tower that people could dock to. that way if someone screws up, you only loose a small platform... And whatever underneath it.

30. Rity Apprentice Engineer

Thanks, but I'm good. I've actually just been waiting for planets so I can redesign whatever is needed for it to 100% work. I hate finishing things and having to rebuild them ( Damn you KEEN), so for this huge project I've just put it on hold until planets.

Glad you like it, and atm it's actually gravity powered. It does work being wheel powered though, and with the way gravity works with planets ( When you get within .5g 's of planetary gravity, it basically nullifies gravgens), the elevator will have to work with wheels anyway.

Oh yeah merge blocks would probably crash the game anyway with a structure that big. I would probably just use landing gear, as they are pretty good now.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.