Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ore Detection

Discussion in 'General' started by crazy8s, Sep 30, 2018.

1. crazy8s Trainee Engineer

Are there any mods out there for ME that allow you to detect or like you can for Space Engineers? Would be nice to be able to have.

2. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

I haven't seen anything but I'm thinking it wouldn't be difficult to make some quests for finding any ore you want. Since they would be quests they could be integrated into survival quite easily. Anything else would take some scripting work and probably an in-game item that would need to be modeled.

3. crazy8s Trainee Engineer

The only problem I have with the game is that the ore is not made easy to find. Sometimes its buried so deep in the ground it takes for ever and a lot of resources to get to. Iron for example or its up so high that if you fall well you die. Lol. Its not as easy that I've found to locate it on the ground. There really isn't any at all that I've found around the spawn point either. I usually prefer building around the spawn area. Especially since I'm running my own server, when I'm online its easier for me to monitor who's coming and who's going.

4. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

yeah, you're not going to find much iron around the safe area.

5. crazy8s Trainee Engineer

Nope I litteraly have to travel to get my iron. That's okay though. I'm currently trying to start up a village around my safe area. I actually threw out the invite for folks to come on and build a house of some sort around the safe area in my server. But Yea this was why I needed the iron lol.

6. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

suggestion - like Spice Bread could Keen make a bread or other food that allows for ore detection, or some similar to Tea creation without being Fantasy or Magic? i love the Spice/Sweet Bread effects and their purpose and think a similar food could pop the Smelting Quest which directs you to your first Ore right after you make the Wooden Shovel. That same effect of being directed to the ore vein could be put into a bottle so to speak? For players really jammed up, maybe going out into the world and popping an Iron Bread would then guide them to the iron ore vein?

TLDR: make a special food that allows for the Smelting Quest ore finding "hand" thingy to guide you to nearby ore, changing food type for ore needed, never for gold or silver

(second idea after a pause for drinking, what about a new Treasure Map type for Ore Locations?)