Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Oxygen vs Energy - New Usage Ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by seeker0003, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. seeker0003 Trainee Engineer

Ok, with pressurized environments and oxygen now being a thing, I have some ideas on how energy and oxygen should work, as well as why you should take off your suit in the first place. My ideas are less game-changing than some of the others, so most activities would be done in much the same way as now.
    • Suits have two resource pools: energy and O² (Oxygen). Suit O² isn't used when helmet is off. Energy is used based on circumstances.
    • Atmosphere environments have two components: pressure and O² percent. Once a room has atmosphere, as long as there isn't a leak, it retains it. Also, oxygen can be completely depleted from storage, and rooms will still have oxygen left, which is only used when someone is breathing it. Too low oxygen percent, and the air isn't breathable.
    • The more cubic space a pressurized environment has, the more oxygen it can hold, and the slower if fills up from depleted.
    • Asteroid and later planetary voxels can also be used to create pressurized environments. A sealed cave can maintain an atmosphere.
    • If an Engineer has their helmet on, they use oxygen from the suit only. They can die from lack of oxygen even in an air-filled room, if they have their helmet on.
    • Only lack of oxygen causes damage. 0% energy may be somewhat debilitating, but it isn't deadly.
    • Suit energy is used for various tasks. If inertials are off, not thrusting, not broadcasting, and HUD is toggled off, power use should equal 0. If HUD is on, the current use (~0.05% per sec.) occurs, the same for broadcasting and having inertials on. Additional power used when thrusting, accessing ships or terminals remotely, or using tools. Though not a great deal more power.
    • Oxygen depletes much slower than power. If the suit can run basic functions for 30 min, oxygen takes 4 hours to deplete from full. Since power can go unused, but oxygen is always necessary, this seems a good trade off.
    • Each person requires O². If five people are breathing from the same air supply, they will use 5 times the amount of oxygen.
    • 0% energy disables broadcasting, inertials, tool use, and jetpack. The jetpack can be re-enabled, but will use oxygen as propellant, at a suggested rate of 100% oxygen for 20 m/s. Thus, very expensive. Engineers can still walk and run when that's an option.
    • When in pressurized environments, the jetpack uses no energy, instead pressing against the air. If the room has oxygen and helmet off, suit oxygen replenishes. If the sealed area is powered, the suit uses no energy for any activity except tool use, and that greatly reduced. In addition, the suit will recharge, though more slowly than if using a recharge terminal. The energy is used by the powered ship/station instead. Power can be transferred even without O², only pressurized required.
    • Open cockpits restore energy when available, but have no effect on suit oxygen levels. Closed cockpits, when piloted, negate O² drain, and restore O² suit levels. (Alternatively, and preferably, cockpits have a couple suits worth of O² storage space, and can be refilled by conveyors. Requires closed cockpits to have conveyor functionality, which based upon the hole shapes they have near their back, sounds both quite possible and very desirable.)
    • Grinders and Welders gain a small (~5%) speed boost in O² environments. Merely pressurized environments don't gain this boost. O² is slightly consumed in the process.
    With these additions, pressurized environments would become better places to work in, requiring no suit maintenance for basic activities, and essentially become a great way to relax or finish a smaller job more quickly. Space would stay largely the same, but the additional use of power for thrusting will promote more careful use of thrusters for longer trips. Also, separating O² from air means that one could have a pressurized interior throughout their ship, but life giving oxygen only where needed. If you have a maintenance duct that you don't need O² in, but want stable power, this becomes useful. That's my thoughts on the matter.

2. aerosabe Apprentice Engineer

Very similar to another thread I posted in earlier.

I mostly agree.

I don't like welder/grinder using up oxygen, but having a boost due to increased dexterity when not wearing a suit, I do like. I don't think oxygen adds anything to welder or grinder efficacy. most welders use electrical energy and don't benefit from the oxygen in the room or chemical energy derived from rapid oxidation. In fact it more likely is a detriment to the strength afterward.

Adding pressure as a separate factor seems like unnecessary complexity (or just not enough gameplay benefits IMO).

3. fusurugi Junior Engineer

Suit life support recycles exhaled CO₂ into O₂.

4. Morbophobie Apprentice Engineer

"When in pressurized environments, the jetpack uses no energy, instead pressing against the air" - This doesn't make any sense. You would still use up energy if you use a jetpack in pressurized environments. This would be a perpetuum mobile. So no. A jetpack always uses energy. You could say that the jetpack uses a propellant if in space. But this results in the problem that you need a source of propellant early in the game, which would make starting off nearly impossible. Grinders and welders only should be faster if you put your suit off and shouldn't have anything to do with the athmosphere directly. But I agree that you shouldn't die in pressurized rooms with oxygen because of the lack of energy. And the lifesupport obviously shouldn't drain your energy then. But that's basically it.

5. Two Apprentice Engineer

At first I was alike "Oh not another survival idea", but this one is actually good and well thought through. +1 for it!

There is just one thing that needs to be clarified: what to do in the first hours of the survival game? Either an oxygen generator with ice needs to be added to all maps, or the first tank fill of the suit needs to be overcharged.

6. Maegil Senior Engineer

Nope, the suit recycles the oxygen, it just needs power.

7. seeker0003 Trainee Engineer

Yes, correct, it would use energy; of course, jetpacks presently use no energy, no more than the suit baseline. And while unrealistic, energy being used as propellant works rather well as a game mechanic, due to the issues of early game propellant. The game idea here is that one could jetpack through a pressurized room even if they are completely out of power.

That is a really good idea, but not for suits. That process in real life is very energy intensive. Perhaps oxygen generators could take CO² from a storage and process it to O², but with a higher energy demand than to get if from ice.

Yes, every survival map needs to have an oxygen generator attached with basic starting, and respawn ships do as well. Unless oxygen is meant to be a cool party trick, it is more important than power. If you spawned in a ship with no way to get power, your dead. No oxygen, dead.

You don't deplete air pressure by breathing. Also, the variable could prove quite useful when calculating explosive decompressions. I'm focusing here on the resource side, but hoping to blow someone out an airlock soon.

8. wmark Apprentice Engineer

I think the suit should get oxygen from a base or power source. This can be either a module on your suit, or be your ship to replenish oxygen.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.