Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Parental Controls

Discussion in 'General' started by driankoral, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. driankoral Trainee Engineer

Are there any Parental controls in space Engineers?

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Like... What? And for what reason? Sorry, maybe I am getting you wrong, friend, but - you're talking about controls for parents that have children and stuff, right? Not some weird programming terminus technicus I am not understanding?

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

In the absence of any context or previous messages from user, I'm going to err on the side of courtesy and assume this is a serious question...

No, there are no such controls in the game. There is no content in the stock game that a reasonable person would consider to warrant it, the only exception could be access to multiplayer online games where there is often the use of profane language (usually directed at Keen rather than other players) and possible violence in the event of finding other players grinding your ship or shooting at you. Other than running Steam in offline mode, or using external network access controls to restrict it, there is no way to disable access to internet games.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

Would there be any point adding this, as some of the st**id parents I know, openly allow their children to access sites and media that is unsuitable for them :mad:Although I must say for responsible parents I think this could be a good idea. Either that or make the rules and regs ban profane language, which if this is broken they get booted off.

5. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

Or do what Wargaming does and have a language filter that can be turned on and off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Trigger Warning: SE contains bearded white men in space suits.

I know it's easy to forget, but SE does have belt-fed assault rifles. SE does not have:
    • Blood, gore, giblets, or dismemberment
    • Sexual themes or explicit material
    • Use/advertisement of controlled substances
    • Discriminatory/stereotypical depictions of any orientation, creed, or culture

7. Roxette Senior Engineer

It also has huge scary spiders that emerge from the ground with little warning... which is reason enough to carry an assault rifle, although a flamethrower would be preferable on general principles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

(No, i don't think the thread is serious either.)
    ...isn't SE rated "12 and up" anyway? Not that anyone really enforces that but if a parent was truely concerned... don't allow them to play unsuitable games?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I don't think there are any parental controls that you can set without your kid simply being able to turn them off. You can turn off weapons in the game set-up menu if you press "edit" instead of "load." This doesn't remove the weaponry, but makes impossible to shoot or blow up. Granted, you could still make inertial weapons by ramming one grid into another.

But in any case, that's about the limit of what you can do in the vanilla game. It's possible to mod the game to take out aspects... but without knowing what you define as content unsuitable for children, it's hard to get an idea of what's objectionable.

How about a nice game of chess?

10. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

Don't forget taking hand grinder and doing bad things with it :)
    This mod removes all weapons from game -> link

11. Spets Master Engineer

agree, this is unacceptable
    look at this aberration

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Does LEGO have parental controls? That is what my other half calls Space Engineers..."Space Lego" :D

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.