Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Performance heavy worlds wanted!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Prescott Freyd, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Prescott Freyd

Hey guys, it's Prescott again :)

And this time, I come with a small request! Our programmers would like to take a look at worlds where you guys are experiencing heavy performance issues, preferably those being hosted as servers and with NO mods, but any worlds will do :)

Feel free to link those world either directly here in the thread or send me a message with the link to the world.

Looking forward to you submissions, PF out!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Kurazarrh

Just a thought, it may be useful to know how each user is hosting the server. Some people are running the dedicated server service from the same PC they're using to play. Others (like myself) run a dedicated server on a separate set of hardware in the house (in which case, PC specs might be important to know). And others are using dedicated server hosts...

3. Swift Itzal

That reminds me of Xocliw´s dedicated survival server , they are having a loot of performance problems there espicially on the huge moon base.

4. Commander Rotal

Oh, i'm SO HAPPY someone is finally taking a closer look at big builds... do i have some stinkers for you.

Massive Performance Issues: (World) Federation Starfleet Earth Space Dock (PC Killer, Empty Shell)
    Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=583949804
    Why it runs so bad: the station was a stress test to try and find the upper limit of the engine(s). This baby clocks in at double-digit-minute loading times, 2,3 million blocks combined and horribly low performance all around the board. Still, it's nice to see that it's technically possible.

Hard Performance Issues: (World) Federation Starfleet Galaxy Class (3.1 Project) U.S.S. Amanda Tapping, NCC.100431-C
    Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=501767620
    Why it runs so bad: a moderately large ship (640 meters long) with a modest interior and a full Conveyor System.

Minor to none Performance Issues: Galaxy Class 3.0 Project: USS Galaxy NCC-70637-A (Empty Shell Variant)
    Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435643037
    Why it runs so well: little to no Conveyors, empty, mostly made from Armor Blocks. Despite it's size (640 meters long) it ran with almost 60 FPS, UPS and 1.0 Sim Speed the last time i loaded in.

All three of these worlds are Creative Offline Singleplayer, modfree of course.
    In addition to general performance issues with large build this might be a good point in time to mention heavy Memory Leak and terrible, terrible lag and short freezing when placing blocks (proper Bug Report comming soon).

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. cswilson

Our dedicated server has been having issues for quite a while, and sim speed gets hammered for no apperent reason some times.

6. plaYer2k

This is a world that produces one frame every 5 seconds on an AMD FX8350, 8GB DDR and GTX 600 Ti back in august 2015 and currently works kinda acceptably but still produces noticeable freezes every like 10-30 frames.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=494514482

It does use the natural gravity mod from Digi but that one can be disabled and doesnt rely on it.
    So just subscribe to it, edit the mods and remove it.

From my observation, this is caused by a large (~2.6km x 2.6km) grid that i tried to fit around a 2km diameter voxel structure. The intersection of the grids bounding box and the voxel structure seem to cause a huge amount of calls for the voxel deposits.

To fully experience it, load the world and jump into the cockpit that is at the middle of each side where hte thrusters lie aswell. Then simply fly the grid towards the voxels center so that both center of mass align.

This will result in a different stress test than most have submitted and will submit i guess.
    Loading this world also seems to require restarting SE as any other world, even when mostly emtpy, will lead to a very laggy experience aswell.

In addition, this "tower" i made a while ago that heavily relies on gravity generators and multiple walkable planes suffers from performance issues even though it is small in size. Reason for that are the gravity generators.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=491942787

Thus placing 4 of them in a world without natural gravity (as they redurce the effectiveness of gravity generators and mess the gravity layout up) would yield a rather bad performance experience too.

Last but not least "Snuggles - The Manic Graviball", my first ever build "real ship", has a pretty bad performance aswell. Even up to this point.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=240269231

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  7. Commander Rotal

Shots fired!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. plaYer2k

B...but ... NO! :(
    We fight for a common goal, dont shoot me! :)

I was merely refering to a quite different source of performance issues than what "large and complicated" ships would produce.

9. afinegan

Prescott, you have [24/7]NullSec already, let me know if you want a newer version of it.

10. masterchief_whg

This world I have been using Since the creation of planets. Has always been solid up until the last two updates

link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621673039

Problems:

BIGGEST PROBLEM: when you place or remove any block, the world will freeze for 5-10 seconds. I have tested this on this world with and without mods.

The world animations and their corresponding sounds will slowly start to be less syncronized as you play the game.

The collision detection with the hand drill becomes worse as the game continues. As I mine, RAM usage increases until the game freezes and the game process has to be terminated manually.

Hope it helps, I absolutely love this game and am really excited for its future.

11. PhoenixTheSage

I'm the host of @Xocliw's stream worlds and here's the latest backup of that survival world
    All the mods (only 10 I think) can be disabled without any bad repercussions. It's basically vanilla.

However, while I would consider that world decently performance heavy for vanilla...if I compared it to our main server...not so much. It has ~68 mods however (around 2.4gb of extra assets) so there is quite a load time due to the way SE handles zip formats. Due to the security of my users, I won't post a link here, but if you would like this world (which is significantly larger than Xocliw's) I can PM you the link.

The hardware specs for these servers:
    Windows Server 2012 R2 [OS SSD]
    I7-4790K @ 3.60ghz
    32Gb's DDR3 @ 1866mhz
    500Gb Samsung 850 [server SSD]
    150mbps line

P.S. Chances are you won't find any serious, stress heavy, and public survival DS world with no mods...simply because admins need to use mods to fix serious issues.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mr_Bean

13. Le Sir

Both, Easy Start Earth and Alien are completely unplayible.
    The FPS drops very fast down to 10-20!
    With and without mods, even with medium settings and reduced view distance.
    No dedicated server, "normal" game.

Moon and space are ok.
    Mars is close to 30 fps, so in most cases playible, altough I get FPS drops some times.

My System:
    i5-3470 @3.2Ghz
    16 GB Ram
    Nvidia Gtx 760 2gb

14. Commander Rotal

10-20 is not unplayable. Just a pain in the ass.

15. MajorTom

One of the big lag sources that needs looking at is how blocks are loaded in the ship menu. Even when accessing different ships in the same world with a ship that has an excessive amount of blocks (not necessarily armor/size, more dense with 1000+ lights, guns, etc), despite not being radio-connected, the lag to access specific blocks (or even just trying to enter text in the search field) is unbearably slow.

Maybe see if you guys can change it to loading an individual block's details on-click instead of just having them loaded in all the time or if it needs some kind of optimization.

Also another big heavy-load ship to poke at. This one has a fair number of mods in its world too and should give you some idea of how a ship with mounted projectors is making things chug when copy/pasting them.

16. Dkz1181

i have one if your interrested, its still playable but can be really laggy at times like when welding large areas of blocks tho i dont know if this is just due to my load out or not, but at the moment im having an issue with welders where they are sending the resources to the blocks but the blocks are not being completed...

on average the world runs with a FPS of 14 and a sim speed of 0.22 and so walking or running anywhere is really slow so im forced to fly everywhere.

if your interrested let me know and ill work out how to send the world to ya, the ship in the screen is around 900 meter long from front to back....

Link is version with mods removed, still runs at 14 FPS but sim speed is now on average 0.55
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=624292429

if requested I will post the modded version as well
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  17. Mr_Bean

You could 'publish' world to workshop for devs and share steam link or alternatively, store it on cloud storage such as dropbox and share a link from that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Prescott Freyd

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the worlds :) Now we can let one of our programmers profile the worlds to take a look at some deeper issues that might be common to some of them. Feel free to upload more if you want, we'll keep them in store for the future :)

Regards,
    PF

19. plaYer2k

Well would youse be interested in blueprints with high grid amounts through rotors/pistons aswell?

Along the line of

So something that has about 2k+ rotors for havok constraint stress tests.

20. Prescott Freyd

Sure, why not! Let's break the game! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. plaYer2k

Alright you shall get what you ask for. My current world got 6400 and one rotors. All connected to each other as the one spins over time generating a spiral pattern using the four 1600 rotor strong chains.

Here is one preview image as i have to upload the world later (hopefully).
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    Here is the world
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=625708361

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  22. Deepflame ME Producer KeenSWH Developer

Hi PhoenixTheSage, did you already send this save? If not, these are the kinds of saves I am interested in running in the profiler.
    I can already predict that connecting 2000 rotors to each other will cause problems, but a world that's shaped to how people who are playing normally play is far more interesting, as the performance issues there are a lot more reasonable and relatable to the regular player than people trying to see what they can do before the game breaks apart. :)

23. Commander Rotal

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Krypt

Can you give definition of "Performance heavy worlds"?
    My world is not "Performance heavy" and my computer have old, but pretty fast processor (Core i5 2500). But sometimes simspeed drops to 0.7 instead 1.0 usual.

25. PhoenixTheSage

K, I just sent it to you and prescott, check the conversation :D

26. afinegan

[24/7] Nullsec sits around .4-.3 sim speed at its best with 6 people on it and most of the trash cleaned (I force people to have a beacon on all objects they care about, using the old python SEServerMaintenice tool to clean it even though its from April 2015...( https://sourceforge.net/projects/semaintenanceutility ).... Really shouldn't be running like this - you have my file prescott (let me know if you need a newer one). I don't like running Server Extender if I can help it...

Whats interesting, I run 2 servers on the same computer, same time and network connection. [24/7]Nullsec (nullsec.info:27016)-simspeed .4-.3 and [24/7]RaceWorld (nullsec.info:27018)-simspeed 1.0pegged

27. maliqua

28. ivanchaos

Hi, this is a save file of a realistic survival-aiming server of mine, it was created right after the release of planets, and pretty much kept running 24/7 ever since. There are very few mods (such as admin commands, unlimited speed and first person helmet HUD) in the save and can all be safely disabled.

I think it would serve quite well as a sample of actual SE game play, and since this world would only run at half simspeed if I download and run it on my i5 desktop, I guess it meets the "Performance-Heavy" part you need, please feel free to have a look on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm78gnwrna1ial9/RealisticServerWorld-Planetary survival.7z?dl=0

29. plaYer2k

This still seems to be a worthy question.

The original request was
    and thus implying that any intensive build is important.

However
    completely ignores the spirit of SE as creative testbed and seems to focus only on some, in my opinion, rather boring single-grid ships floating around in space. Nothing is less interesting than that for what i do in SE.

I have been building constructions with tens to hundreds of connected grids for a very long time like this, this or that. In some worlds i have had thousands of projectors displaying a 3D grid a'la this static test dislay and that practical application based on it.

So the question is, do youse want to focus on "normal multiplayer" only for a) this testing period or even b) at all?
    Shall creative concepts, rather unique designs from others be declared "second class citizen"?

Dont get me wrong. The market sure says "care about the masses as they give you the most" and the least people even use 10+ grids connected through rotors/pistons or any of them at all due to problems using and constantly taming them. Though fact is, people do what is possible for them. If some application simply isnt feasible they of course dont use it and reduce themself to the rest. That of course means, nobody is doing it because the game doesnt properly support it right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. zorgkirill