Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.
  3. Apologies for enabling the dark skin as the forum default. This was unintentional and the light theme that we've been using for the last couple of years will remain the default.

For anyone who hasn't noticed:
    We've enabled a dark skin on the forums called Keen Software House - Dark. It's not perfect but it gets the job done for anyone who doesn't enjoy white backgrounds. Go to your preferences page https://forum.keenswh.com/account/preferences or click the skin name at the bottom left of any forum page to switch

Performance heavy worlds wanted!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Prescott Freyd, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Thomas Smith

Hi,

I would say its down to entities that can really use alot of ram. We have seen more players generating lots of entities accumulating around 6gb ram. looking at this world it would be around the same. We could host that world as we don't cap how much ram you use and our servers are high specs.

Thomas Smith | PlugPayPlay | Official Space Engineers Hosts

2. laci4321

Hello!

I just finished my new ship. This is not incredibly large (block's count is about 2-3 times larger than Red Ship), and fully vanilla. But has a lot of function, a lot of scripts, and a lot of timer blocks. When I switch off the reactors, the simulation speed is about 0.9-1.0, but when the reactors are on, the sim. speed decrease to 0.3-0.5. But my CPU's loading is not higher than 50%. (core i7-4770S , 8GB RAM , SSD , AMD R9-290x) Ohh, and when I switch on the 2 self repair projectors, the FPS decrease from 50-60 to 15-20.
    My ship's blueprint:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=723855022&tscn=1468495878

And when I want to paste this blueprint in a new world, I have to wait 5 minutes. In my opinion, this is too long :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. globot

Hi,

I have world that is around 120MB on disk but server can take more than 5GB in RAM... since last update it is running slower than usual (name: "Globot World - new VM") with a lot more synchronization issues than usual .
    before holidays there was often more than 10 peoples online on this server.

server seems to use only one of the 4 CPU assigned to this VM. So, I have a question about optimization of the source code... When will you build a multi-threaded dedicated server to take advantage of multi-core machine (which is common nowadays) ???
    This will not be the magical solution, but it will help waiting for a real optimized implementation of the game.

So, when will you get a full C++ port of your engine ? to be able to really optimize the code ? from what I saw of your C# implementation it would run at least 10 time faster with a proper C++ or C implementation (reducing overhead, conversion and memory copy significantly).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  4. Dan2D3D69 Moderator

@globot

This thread is for sharing a world with Devs and you forgot to add it .... To share a world you have to publish the world to the Workshop and share the link here on the forum.

5. globot

Sorry Dan2D3D69,

can I send a download link in private ? since the faction on my server will complain if I allow anybody to download there positions in game ...

6. supersonicdave

7. Neimoh

I have a pretty massive world 1 planet, 1 moon no procedural asteroid density as I use 5 asteroid belts about 10 asteroids each that I want to share with you guys, about 290 grids, 79 mods under SeSe. Even running concealment sim runs around .2 ~ .3 with 18 players on. I run a 13 to 14 player average with a huge community.
    This current world is Live so for security reasons I'd like to share via dropbox through private msg please if you are interested in it.

Hosted on my private PC:
    System is water cooled I7- 5930k o/c to 4.1ghz
    64g ddr4 2667
    server is run and saved on a 256g Samsung 950 pro ssd

8. dchupp

We are having the same issue with a new world. It played fine for a few hours then we got a case of the stutters.

9. zorgkirill

10. Deapri

I'll have our host send in ours Coggernaut (Solaris) though I have been watching the sim speed interaction and have a suggestion, why arn't grids treated like voxel and use their own tracking file rather than the main files to reduce impact on the overall server when modified by either tools or destruction?

11. Malware

Files are only changed when the game saves, not during normal runtime.

12. Sungur

sorry just saw the thread.

try these. i couldnt finish the latter one due to heavy performance problems despite i got a decent PC.

Scheherazade and Scheherazade Modded

if there is a solution i would really appreciate it.

13. System Error Message

I find that CPUs dont clock up when you run space engineers, you have to force it to run at max multiplier just to get full simulation speed. I had a 6 core xeon overclocked from 2.6Ghz to 4Ghz by overclocking bus and its faster than just having an i7 at 4Ghz. The game seems to run better when you have faster ram and faster CPU cache other than just having the CPU clocked up.

14. hieve

you wanted it, I took the time now to make it
    this world file was made on a public server with 64 slots at the beginning(which got reduced pretty fast to 16 for stability)
    it cost me alot sleepless nights to get this thing up and running most of the time, there are no options atm for auto updating and auto restarting vanilla wise, but I have posted also in another thread my healthchecker which can handle crashes of the game and restart itself(http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/dedicated-server-useful-posts.6924691/#post-1287031352)

This world was run on a real dedicated Server machine, I have written down all Infos to the Game Settings or the Server Specifications down here : https://space-engineers.com/server/64823/

The world has its lag Issues when all bases are occupied, and especially when someone is drilling with his giant Drill or we reached over >16 Players

There were some modifications on serverside, which were small patches only to get the meteors working without bloating up the Map Size and more Fauna AI like Spiders(commenting out the CreateCrater function and raising the Spiderlimits in Sourcecode)
    Also the PlanetGeneratorDefinitions were customized, so that spiders are spawning on mars and the waves are a bit more than standard wise

(sry got no better hoster atm, if you know one , telll me please and I will reupload it there)

http://www77.zippyshare.com/v/GJf1pgvR/file.html

statistics so far:

asteroids generated : 380
    planet asteroids : 42
    sandbox.sbc lines : 397.025
    sandbox.sbs lines : 726.283
    entities : ~700

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  15. Brian

My Server is dedicated Dell R710 (non virtual) dual Xeon 2.6ghz with 6 cores per processor for a total of 24 threads. I am running windows 2012 R2 64bit with 96 gigs of ram, on four 300 gig 10k harddrives running in a raid 10 set. I have 2 people on my server using the Star System scenario and we get performance spikes and graphic errors. My desktop is an i5, 3.9ghz 16 gig ram on a 512 gig m2 drive (ssd card attached to the mother board 89,000 iops) with an Nvidia 970 gtx and I am getting graphics errors logged all day. Server world went live Jan 12th 2017 so I would love to speed things up.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  16. System Error Message

Have you tried overclocking your server? I dont think you can put i7s into dual sockets, only xeons.

My server runs a world with many more planets/moons/stuff than the star system scenario and i dont get any spikes or graphical errors. press shift + f11 a few times and look at the simulation speeds, than check your GPU because the server uses 1 core only, the game is GPU heavy and uses 4 cores at least but a lot of GPU power.
    Drive speed is not an issue as save games are small and it only affects the initial loading time.
    Graphical errors caused by 2 things, either your files are corrupted meaning you would have to reinstall the game and make sure the files arent missing bits and pieces or your GPU might have issues. It is possible to end up with corrupted files in a raid setup too for various reasons.

17. Brian

Thanks for the response, yes they are dual xeons (6 core per cpu ) in my server, it is an actual server I got from the office when it was retired. I don't think the motherboard would allow me to overclock it.
    the server uses 12 threads at about 3 to 4 percent with 1 thread hitting 20 ish during gameplay and uses about 4 to 5 gig of ram total. I will test both computers by creating a new blank world no mods in the server and connecting to that and see the results.

To Reinstall the server I could just put a fresh copy of the server files after I rename the old server folder and test using that correct ?

18. hieve

SE server currently uses only the 1st Core mainly, more ghz and better caches can help

if you want to copy your server to another location, drag & drop it there, easy.
    if you want a fresh install , use at best Steamcmd with the appid 298740

19. System Error Message

SE server does use one core only so the best choice is an intel iseries CPU highly clocked.

Not only do you need to copy your server but also the worlds/save games. Usually located in appdata or a user's application data folder. The client's game however will use 4 or more cores.

20. kithsakhai

Got a world that for no obvious reason has its sim speed drop to almost nothing if its of any interest for testing purposes. Dev branch, no mods.

SIM speed dead world, pasted in a grid on a fresh world and sim speed is dead in a matter of seconds, no apparent reason why and I can't troubleshoot it as I can't move as soon as loading in. removed all mods and such, grid pasted in was working fine in another world (empty exploration world). steam workshop link to the world: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=847325162

-Kith