Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Performance

Discussion in 'General' started by Subb0, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Subb0 Trainee Engineer

All though you mentioned performance a bit on your site it doesn't really mention your aim, Are you planning on making it accessible to many lower end pc thus increase the appeal of your audience.
    Or is it going to be scalable ? The problem with that I would say you want users to be able to have the same experience not I've got more ram so I can have more objects and thus a more impressive world.

What do you all think ?

2. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

One big issue to performance is going to be the physics simulation.
    In general, that relies heavily on the CPU and can be very "spikey" in practice (the same number of pieces can be laggy or not depending on proximity / speed / ect)

Like this page talks about it a bit: http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/performance-advices.html

There are things that they can do to optimize it / make it run more efficiently but it will boil down to "an old CPU can't cut it" at some point.

It uses havok, and that is a nice engine (see Garry's Mod for how that runs). And since the ship is effectively a single rigid body (until collision actually takes place) then I can see this game being able to handle a considerably higher number of entities for a ship then what's seen in Garry's Mod.

I for one can't wait to see some hard numbers of even an unoptimized engine and ship complexity.
    The limit to creativity is really what killed Gimbal for me in the long run.

3. Subb0 Trainee Engineer

That's my fear Kuro that giving players a limit will limit the game. With Games like minecraft also wanting a piece of the pie but not giving a limit its going to be stiff competition

4. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

Well, to be fair, what mincraft is doing and what this is doing are worlds different.
    I don't think the games are very similar aside from "First/Third Person" and "Can build things" - I'm sure this game will attract many Minecraft players given how you are free to express your creative prowess in both.

I can't think of a game that demonstrates the finer points of what Space Engineer has in terms of functionality with physics and visual fidelity. In a way, they are in a league of their own assuming Keen can deliver.

5. Subb0 Trainee Engineer

Agree but i'm sure this is not the first nor last time they will be compared, but especially as this has physics in it. I more meant it in an example of open world game play with no real limit bar what you can think of.

Hopefully they deliver, I'm sure they will get a boost from some publishing in IGN recently.

6. Heliun Trainee Engineer

Actually Garry's Mod runs in Valve's Source engine.

7. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

But Source uses Havok - so just looking at physics capacity I'd assume they'd be similar in features.
    I'm only speculating though, so I may be way off.

8. Darsha Trainee Engineer

On the performance page they didn't really give any definite minimum or recommended specs. It will be fascinating to see how much this game becomes like Crysis.

9. Subb0 Trainee Engineer

The nice thing about Crysis is you can play it on a low end machine, a well built code can mean that you can play it on all systems and have roughly the same experience. Last thing you want is to exclude people.

10. jstylen Trainee Engineer

Hopefully not too similar. Otherwise all our creations will be doomed to the inevitable black hole of colliding models 0_0

11. Danelo90 Trainee Engineer

When it comes to physics I thought APB (All Points Bulletin) had good multiplayer physics; when you witnessed a spectacular car crash you know your friends saw the exact same thing because physics were serverside, the drawback to that however was that the handling of the car was delayed by a second or two depending on your latency.

12. TechyBen Junior Engineer

It will be interesting to know if it is CPU bound, single or multi threaded and if it is GPU accelerated (ATI and/or Nvidia). I'd be interested in buying new hardware to support that. But would need to know it's requirements first.

13. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

Physics on VRAGE is powered by Havok: http://www.keenswh.com/vrage.html
    It is listed as having multi-core support.

Havok also has multi-core stock:
    http://www.havok.com/products/physics

I think a big focus for KSH is going to be optimizing those ships, seeing as that's going to be the core of the game.
    I'm sure it will be somewhat laggy in alpha though, before features are more refined.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.