Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Petition to revert to old windows!!! (Space Engineers)

Discussion in 'General' started by terry369, Feb 20, 2016.

?

Revert to old windows?

1. Yes revert them now!!!

77.7%
  2. I don't care

12.7%
  3. No I like scratches on my wondows

4.5%
  4. No I like scratches on my windows

5.0%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. terry369 Trainee Engineer

If we all relied on your philosophy, nothing would get done. Most developers need to be force-fed this information (usually because they have a big fanbase and pay little attention to things, so you have to spread further and further until they notice), it's the only way they will change. I can and will tell the developers what I think best for them to do because I paid money for a game that is in development that I want to succeed. As such I need to tell the developers from a consumer's perspective what is best for the game. To be honest, everybody should be doing it really, that is if they truly care about the game.

If the developers don't want to listen then they shouldn't release their games in early access. There is no point in early access if people aren't allowed an input. It's pretty obvious that the developers do listen though... but only when it's shoved down their throats. Take a look at how many posts were made about planets before they were announced and how many times Marek stated that "there wouldn't be planets". See how many posts it took for him to change his mind...

It might sound harsh but this is the truth of things.

32 votes are already in favor of what I am saying. A few disagree but this means that there is a possibility for a compromise. Compromise is always the best outcome in game development and I have a few things in mind... heck people have already listed them here.

As for the game becoming unplayable... borderline unplayable would be the best definition for this game right now. Of course this is expected from an early access game but this window update pushed it even further towards the unplayable mark. Do you realize how badly windows hurt the game's performance before? Now that the windows have more detail, it's going to take even more of a toll on the performance.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. terry369 Trainee Engineer

No... just no... I'm going to ignore everything else you just said because of this one line. If we rely on the modding community for everything, KeenSWH might as well just release the game already. Never expect people to use mods, especially in this game's current state. The game is so unstable that mods are risky business. One update could screw up every single world with mods, it did to my world and I was fortunate to have a backup without mods. Otherwise i would have lost over 200 hours of progress.

Remember people, use mods at your own risk and if you do, I highly recommend you make a backup world without mods... at least until this game is released.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  3. Stormtrooper Trainee Engineer

The fourth option on this poll should be 'I like the scratches but fade them a lot more' I would pick that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. DDP-158 Master Engineer

The obvious yes/no poll with a slyly added third option?

Edit: I would also like to point out that your $20 means jack. We all paid $20. Your $20 does not override the $20 of somebody who disagrees with you. You purchased a product to use and that is what you received. You did not purchase company shareholdings.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Harrekin Master Engineer

Wheres the "give us all the windows and we can flick through them with our mouse wheel" option?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sflot Trainee Engineer

I'm sorry mate, but you're blowing things way out of proportion. Calm down, it's a f*cking texture, not a planet. Convincing the devs to put in something game-changing like planets is indeed going take some threads and polls (unsurprisingly), convincing the devs to change a texture is an entirely different story. It's also not drastically decreasing the game performance (considering that you haven't built your ship entirely out of glass and your pc isn't completely sh*t), and if it is, that's the game's optimization problem, not a texture problem.

Saying this game becomes borderline unplayable is a blatant overreaction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely satisfied with the glass either, but I can't be bothered to shove it down the devs faces (like you said it should) with some "petition to revert to old windows!!11!!!1!!!11!!!!" bullsh*t, because they'll surely have realised by know that their texture isn't satisfactory. To think that a dev is going to change something as soon as possible upon seeing your thread is a bit immature in my opinion. They have got the message, I promise you.

And yes, you do sound harsh, but not in a rational way. I think the other people who tried to argue with you think the same.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. Nacon Junior Engineer

This kind of thread and poll is unacceptable. We don't need to start demanding something from Devs like an angry mob.
    Stop trying to give the developers hard time and further stress. Can't you guy try little bit better next time, please?

EDIT: It seem some of you people are dense. Yes, I don't like the new window texture. But I don't need to go blowing up in their face with an angry-mob style petition attack, just like this thread. Just voice your opinion or make a normal "concerned" thread like an adult. Not this.

Disagreeing with me on this post can only means that you approves this madness started by Terry369. You practically approved his cyber-bullying method.
    If you want the game development go in the right direction, cyber-bullying or angry-mob style petition is NOT the answer.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. terry369 Trainee Engineer

This would be ideal also. However there is a problem... what will happen to our current worlds if that happends. This means if we don't want scratched glass we have to revert EVERY SINGLE WORLD to regular glass. As such, it depends. I think the devs should revert it first then we can talk about the "mouse wheel" option (though I highly doubt they'll do it anyways).

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  9. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Ok so since you're so confident about this game not being borderline unplayable, I hope you are not offended when I ask of you to download and try to play on my world. The link to the workshop page is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=270396688 and I want you to tell me how many fps your game is running on. Approach at your own risk. If you haven't the guts to do it or simply believe that I am shamelessly promoting my work so you're deliberately ignoring it, I have nothing further to say because I'm obviously talking to a brick wall.

Now you're telling me to calm down... yet you're the one using inflammatory language. Part of my rationality is through this poll. The reason why I made a poll was so that the numbers can speak for themselves. The top option (the one I voted for) is currently winning by a landslide. Fair is fair, if it went the other way, I wouldn't be complaining because there would be little point, I'd just wait for the next update.

Also game optimization is a legitimate problem but this issue is also partially a cause for it. I have clocked over 900 hours into Space Engineers, I was there back when we had ladders and stuff, I've seen how drastically the performance of the game changed. It's pretty crazy really. You realize that the more detail in a world, the longer it takes to load it up, it also causes massive issues to the frame rate. Like I said, download my workshop file and do the test for yourself.

It's fine to think that this thread is immature but your language directly contradicts that, might want to do a check up on that before you start saying such things about others.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  10. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Calling your immature bullshit "bullshit" doesn't make the opposing party immature. Cursing is not inherently immature.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Are you a moderator? If not then you aren't in a position to dictate to me what is acceptable on this site and what isn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

What does this have to do with "acceptable on this site"? You said that somebody calling you immature was invalid because they used, le gasp, foul words!

Grow up. People disagreeing with you and calling out your immature behaviour isn't fucking invalidated because they swore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Then what is? Please enlighten me as you seem to know more about these things than I do...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  14. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Whiny entitlement, for one.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Wow, you're a fast one aren't you? I didn't know that the definition of "immature" was a bunch of unnecessary ad hominem's. Thanks for telling me that, I feel like I've learned something today.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Ironically, this definition of immaturity is quite fitting:

"deficient in maturity; lacking wisdom, insight, emotional stability, etc"

And yes, that was a rhetorical question, I'm not so stupid that I can't google a single word on the internet, I was merely hoping that you would be able to. Unfortunately "Whiny Entitlement" didn't appear in the definition list.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. AzraelIshi Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
  18. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

How was that even remotely an ad hominem? Let alone multiple ones?

You are arguing that cursing invalidates callouts of immature behaviour. Cursing is not inherently an attack, it isn't inherently immature, its usually a form of emphasis.

You want an ad hominem?

This thread is you going "WAAAAH, Keen made an incredibly minor cosmetic change to the game that minorly impacts certain forms of gameplay! I'm gonna ignore that Early Access is an iterative process in which the developer tries out a bunch of things and uses the players as playtesters to see how well they work, and instead I'm gonna scream. I'm gonna try to convince other people to scream, too! I'm gonna kick up a huge fuss and pitch a fit and demand that Keen changes it right now, because I don't like it, nevermind that Keen could have known that people were displeased just as easily if everyone remained calm and mature about their dislike of the texture!"

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Could be worse, it could be Gamersgate or something... Still, no matter how hard I try, it's difficult to evade drama, it seems to fly towards me like a magnet.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Now you're just baiting. I don't think you've said a single word towards me except "grow up". That's a condescending remark which is considered an ad hominem because it is targeting me rather than the topic. In fact you've been rather quiet about the topic. Why don't you stop trying to bait me and actually start talking about something relevant? Plus let me remind you that you quoted a completely unrelated post to what you were responding to.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  21. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

...The fuck are you talking about?

Like are you not actually reading what I'm writing? Your comprehension is astoundingly low.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Can't imagine why after reading all this.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. AzraelIshi Trainee Engineer

Ah, hell. You all cheered me after a shitty day. Thanks.

As for the issue at hand.... I never use windows (who wants to build a station or a ship with such a weakpoint? My bridges/cockpits are burried deep down in the ship, and my stations do not have a single window). So, don't care maybe?

24. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I want to see the pretty visuals in single player :D

My opinion may change if there were actual enemies in singleplayer.

25. terry369 Trainee Engineer

I'm guessing that my opinion of the Hydrogen update was what instigated it? Because I have no idea why anyone would get so riled up about this petition. It's all fair play and it's all for the game's benefit regardless of which vote wins.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. terry369 Trainee Engineer

I believe there is a lot of quality options to mess around with. Plus there ARE actual enemies in single player. They added Cyberhounds and Saberoids. Plus there's pirates and cargo ships. The hostile AI department is going places, all they need to do with that is to allow spawning for scenario's (or add more if that's what they're intending to do).

It all depends on how far they're going with the AI but the core of the game is the building. I believe detail is what is key here. Having the tools available is crucial to any sandbox building game hence the reason why minecraft is so successful and don't try to tell me that this game isn't derivative from Minecraft because it is, they just improved the formula and added more depth plus better visuals.

To all these people who say that this is a simulator, you're flat out wrong. If it was, we wouldn't have jump drives or gravity generators and the flight controls would be optimized for a joystick rather than a mouse/keyboard. Now as for a simulator in the same vein as what Space Engineers is going for, Kerbal Space Programme is that game. Sure it had kerbals but the design of the game is more akin to simulation than sandbox building.

The developer's focus of this game is to provide the tools and optimization for creativity. The interface for starters is very well optimized, one of the things that I praise greatly about the game in fact. As for the tools, there are plenty of tools for functionality but as for aesthetics, it's a mixed bag. Exterior aesthetics have a lot of tools but interior aesthetics need a bit more work. Something like furniture could help with this a lot and as it currently stands, there is no excuse not to include it. The modding community have already done all the work.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

having been busy base building and mining, just got a close up look at them today, thin layer of dust and maybe a few small scratch marks i can understand but, who sneezed on the damn texture?

i voted to revert back to original windows, while yes it is against realism to have perma-clean windows, but it also against realism to have them THAT dirty, i mean c'mon... perma dirty windows?
    if i had to choose between the 2, perma-clean, or i would want them cleaned by maintenance dept.

until this gets fixed im modding this alteration out, as like others, i like flying from viewpoint of the bridge windows, and if the camera overlay is also that unclear as i have read, i will also be modding that out, a camera that can not be clearly seen through, wtf? we have had decent camera and decent badwidth/transmitting tech for many years now!

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Stormtrooper Trainee Engineer

This is why we can't have nice things guys...

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. SnottyCat Trainee Engineer

Pretty sure the space shuttle or the International Space Station don't have such scratched or dirty windows.
    Having dirty/scratched windows is totally unnecessary, especially one that looks like it went through some dirt rally race. If that's the case, then the rest of the ship/station should be just as grimmy and scratched. Think windows for space ships should be very tough and won't scratch so easily. I certainly won't want to ride in a space ship with a deep scratch on the windows....god knows when that might turn into a big crack and break.

I vote to get a clean window.

• Agree Agree x 4
  30. Xaranos Trainee Engineer

Just add another build stage. So right before the glass is welded 100%, let it look at 90% like it is scratched and at 100% it is brand new. So the player can decide how they want their glass to be.

• Agree Agree x 7
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.