Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Petition to revert to old windows!!! (Space Engineers)

Discussion in 'General' started by terry369, Feb 20, 2016.

?

Revert to old windows?

1. Yes revert them now!!!

77.7%
  2. I don't care

12.7%
  3. No I like scratches on my wondows

4.5%
  4. No I like scratches on my windows

5.0%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Wizlawz Master Engineer

true, if i could afford to get on EVE right now i would do a screen shot of my "old" ships vs a brand spanking new ship to show ya, idk why you don't see it.

2. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  4. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Thank you! I was just about to look for this. If he had posted this sooner it could have saved a whole lot of trouble.
    I also notice they day dirt. That makes more sense than rust, which requires oxidation, which requires oxygen, which space lacks.

5. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

Flawless logic, except that aircraft that have been shot up are repaired before being serviced again.

What? You think they just let pilots sortie in half a fighter jet?

On top of that, this is bullet-proof glass meant to resist 25mm gatling guns.

[​IMG]

Guns that fire something along the lines of this shit.

It should not have scratches on it.

• Agree Agree x 9
  6. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

And it's not likely your ship will get hit with something bigger than that? Often? Especially if it's involved in mining? Or combat?

7. dlswenson1 Trainee Engineer

I spent lot of time designing windows into my ship and stations to have nice views. Now if I can even see through them, its the ghetto corner of space. If you are hard over on scratches and dirt, create both types of windows so we can continue seeing through them.

8. dlswenson1 Trainee Engineer

I spent lot of time designing windows into my ship and stations to have nice views. Now if I can even see through them, its the ghetto corner of space. If you are hard over on scratches and dirt, create both types of windows so we can continue seeing through them.

9. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here but canopies of today are made of acrylic. That's plastic for anyone who isn't sure. It's there to keep the wind out of the pilots face, not to stop bullets that come from a gun with a jet built around it designed to annihilate tanks.

Edit: better clarify before a keyboard warrior jumps in. Acrylic is bulletproof, but it's not stopping a tank buster round.
    Level 8 glass can stop several rounds of 7.62mm. For those doing the math it's a lot smaller than 25mm. However, the glass weighs 27lb/sq ft and is 3.5" thick (I had conversions to aid those who can't convert but the forum decided to erase my edit in progress. Just know it's heavy and thick). When wanting to lighten an aircraft, chances are the 1500lb dome will be the first to go.
    If this is bulletproof in any way at all, it will most likely be at the thinnest level. This means you'll probably survive a pistol shooting from Colonel Miles of avatar as you steal a aircraft.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. terry369 Trainee Engineer

The problem with this though is it means we have to edit all of our worlds because the developers screwed up. They should just replace the glass to it's normal form and make it so that when the glass is damaged, it gets scratched. That would solve a lot of issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Once again, I will repeat myself. The problem with this is simple. They will release the old glass as an option and

WE WILL HAVE TO EDIT EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF GLASS IN OUR WORLD BECAUSE KEEN WILL LIKELY KEEP THE CURRENT GLASS AS DEFAULT!!!

There, now you know.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Double posting basically the same thing, but screaming the second time doesn't make you any more right or wrong...

That being said I don't think options are a bad idea, just not for this particular case.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Options are usually always a good idea... if they don't fuck up the game in some way. And considering KeenSWH has a track record for this. I'd rather be on the careful side as to how this problem can be solved. We can't just be literal because if we are it'll be like a genie lamp wish, too literal.

Ultimately, the best way to alleviate this issue is to add progressive damage to windows. As the windows get damaged, they get more and more scratched. This would actually be a great feature as it shows an indication of when you need to repair your windows rather than not having damage at all. It would make windows work like every other block in that regard so it's an important change.

However the windows should ALWAYS start pristine because the windows have just been crafted and applied onto the ship.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Well so far in my upgraded windows poll it seems many people feel the best option is having both window types and the ability to switch between them when placing windows. In fact that one option has 50% of the votes.

Just pointing out that multiple ways are best ways depending on who is looking at the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Do I seriously have to repeat myself for a third time? Do I really have to repeat myself for a third time?
    Fine

Progressive damage is the way to go, either that or a complete revert. Do we want this to be realistic or not? If so start the glass pristine and as it takes damage, make it scratched. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DDP-158 Master Engineer

What happened to improvement and compromising being your philosophy? Did it get get lost on page 3?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Harrekin Master Engineer

So the fact that over 50% of people in both polls want options is completely irrelevant to you?

KSH, stop developement!

Terry wants you to revert the windows just for him, so you better God damn change them back.

If you don't change them back then (God forbid) Terry here will have to change all the glass in his windows!

Screw all the people who want options, Terry doesn't wanna have to click a couple of times!

Oh noes, the horrorz!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Logi Apprentice Engineer

I don't hate those scratches on the glass that much. What I hate more than anything is how the glass behaves when it gets dark, like it gets frosted or smeared with some glowing pixel mess, ensuring you don't see anything through them. I used to just sit back and look at my base from my observation tower after dark, seeing my base all lit up never got old untill they completely destroyed a block that didn't need any fixing in the first place.

Please revert the glass!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. terry369 Trainee Engineer

That IS a compromise. Rather than reverting they change it so the window only becomes scratched when damaged and is pristine when it is welded onto the ship or repaired. I've calculated that that is the best approach to deal with this situation as it comes with the extra benefit of knowing that your windows are damaged which gives the game bonus points. The guy who came up with that idea was a genius.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

solves this issue... have build state go through framework, scratched window, nice shiny new window...

that was easy

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Decided to wait until the thread was almost off the page before replying to get a bump in.

But I'm noting how you are telling me it's the only way. There's no compromise when you say it's the only way.

Lol what's up with the late tag? Are you angry mashing buttons?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  22. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Tell them also to revert the glass to pristine FIRST. This is the reason why this game needs a public beta. If window improvements are gonna be added, make sure that when the update is fully released, they improve things rather than changing them for the worse. 100 people agree with that statement. I don't want to do extra work just because the developers decided to needlessly screw with something. That is practically a direct insult to anyone who played Space Engineers. This is a building game, people like to build cool stuff and they put a lot of time and effort into it. Why waste their time when you can just revert the glass first then add options... or go with the other guys idea which was progressive damage which would make more sense considering the fact that you still have the option to make your windows scratched, all you need to do is DRILL THE WINDOWS UNTIL THEY ARE SCRATCHED.

There's your options.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. terry369 Trainee Engineer

We've been through this already, you're just late to the party. The reason why the idea I mentioned is better is simply because IT DOES ALLOW OPTIONS!!! All you need to do is think about it for about 2 minutes and then you will realize that if they make the glass scratched as it takes damage then you can decide whether you want it scratched or not by drilling it, there you have scratched glass. That way it works just like any other block. Like what do you want next? A wheel which decides whether or not you want damaged armor or pristine armor? Oh wait if you want damaged armor, you just shoot it with Gatling Guns... who would have known?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Framework? I think I get what you're saying. You're in favor of the progressive damage idea where the window gets scratched only when it takes damage? Yeah that is a good idea, we have solved the problem, now lets wait for KeenSWH to solve the problem...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. DDP-158 Master Engineer

That's not an option. An option is having both glass types available through the g menu or mouse scroll. What you want is YOUR glass and if somebody wants theirs they gotta fuck up their ship to get it.

In the end it's still about you. And your $20. You and your $20.

• Late Late x 1
  26. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Yeah lets make even more work for the devs!!! You realize that this game has a survival mode? There isn't a machine designed specifically to scratch glass I'm afraid. you have to do it manually. Plus if you don't want to fuck up your ship, just shoot the glass with a precision assault rifle. SIMPLE!!!! The point is if you want scratched glass, you have to scratch it yourself or let it get scratched. At least there's the option to scratch it yourself to make it look like it's been on a long journey of epic proportions. Or you could just leave it pristine. It's your choice. The silly thing is, before this update all glass was pristine anyways? It's not as if people have lost anything. I mean the scratched windows are still there... you just have to damage the pristine windows. Scratching is a form of damage after all.

It's called "how to make sense".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Either option creates more work for the devs I'm afraid. Either you add you windows side by side to which we already have models for or you incorporates scratch windows into the build process. Either way, somebody is doing work. So that's flawed argument #1.
    Bullet holes would give me shattered glass, not scratched glass. But let's talk about the process here: when the window is being put together what you are asking for is frame, frame, scratched glass, fixed glass. Does our welder magically fix glass? Flawed argument #2.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. terry369 Trainee Engineer

Well then JUST REVERT TO OLD WINDOWS!!! Simple. Plus glass can be repaired you know... who cares if it's with a welder or not, you can't repair something with just a welder anyways, the game uses a welder as the tool for building to simplify everything heck they even repair LCD screens. Why? Because theis is a videogame, not real life. In any case it's pretty obvious you're disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing by this point. We've already found the perfect solution and yet you still persist in trying to prove me wrong when you know deep down that it is the right solution.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  29. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

And lets uh, just ignore that our welder magically fixes broken computers and terminals, twisted armor metal, rubber wheels, rocket engines, and tanks of flammable gasses... oh forbid it repair glass that it put together in the first place!

:tu:

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Wow, I haven't played SE for a long time (was waiting for vital fixes) but I got back to it (finally complex piston-rotor systems doesn't explode during travel) ... And what do I see? Clearly almost nothing :-D. C'mon! Clear glass so not only me could maneuver with first person perspective, now it's really impossible. I'm all for damage stages but stage one shouldn't look like almost final stage.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.