Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Petition to revert to old windows!!! (Space Engineers)

Discussion in 'General' started by terry369, Feb 20, 2016.

?

Revert to old windows?

1. Yes revert them now!!!

77.7%
  2. I don't care

12.7%
  3. No I like scratches on my wondows

4.5%
  4. No I like scratches on my windows

5.0%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

waves wielder says "oculus reparo" .

see its magic

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Archetypal Trainee Engineer

Windows?
    I thought those are supposed to be the new ant farms.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

[​IMG]
    For scale, that's the Easy Start platform attached to that asteroid. That middle section is all glass. The center portion was easy enough to do using multi-block setting, but the sides required each pane to be placed individually. I put that glass in back in the DX9 days. To be quite honest, when you are standing inside the ship you really can't tell how scratched the glass is. With sunlight alone you can clearly see the inside detail, such that it is. It is, in fact clearer now than it was in DX9.

This is a bandwagon issue. Someone posted that they didn't like the glass and a whole bunch of people decided to jump on that bandwagon hoping to believe they influenced the developer. Phrases such as "I can't see through the glass" are patently false. I'm 62 years old and I wear glasses, but I can pilot THIS ship and every other ship I have just fine. There is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING I could see before that I can't see now. I have successfully maneuvered my ships through asteroid fields at maximum speed without even coming close to hitting anything because I didn't see it in time, and that's with view distance set at 20 km. Even if I had it set at 5 I wouldn't worry, except maybe with the above ship cause she don't turn or stop on a dime.

I'm not saying the current glass is perfect. I'm not even saying I like it. What I am saying is that "dirty and scratched" is what Keen (specifically Marek) wants, and it's not as bad as some people would make it out to be. Believe me, if I did not like the glass I would spend the 20 odd hours in-game to replace them. In fact, this ship isn't finished and it's getting more glass.

It is true that if you have lights on inside your build it's harder to see out. That, however, is realistic. Got those helmet lights on inside your cockpit? Got your bridge all lit up? I don't.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Arcturus Senior Engineer

As far as I can tell, it is harder to see out UNLESS the things within your character's view are lit up. The window dirt texture interacts strangely with the "eye adaption" dx11 effect. The window texture becomes the most visible in a pitch black room, glowing in the darkness, and is the most transparent when everything is bright.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Arcturus Senior Engineer

BINGO. Marek tests the glass when it is at its most transparent (planetside, daytime, earthlike). The glass texture becomes more visible (in a relative sense due to the "eye adaption" effect that scales luminance) when the player's view and backdrop are darker.

6. The MoSS 2 Apprentice Engineer

Thing is that glass is useless at night right now. I'd sign the petition, but I miss option for lowering density of scratches so I can see what's outside. Also, I hope someone will make a mod with more windows textures. I want mud on my rover and bullet holes on my ship :-D

7. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

I use low level red lighting on bridges, flight decks and CnCs. This reduces the glare so I can see out the windows. However, I do not like the window textures now. I don't mind some grime but to me it was too much. So I don't think we're all jumping on a bandwagon, its just alot of players don't like the new textures.

8. Inas Yorl Trainee Engineer

So we need 2 type of windows:
    -- Exterior with scratches, because of hostile space around us
    -- Interrior without scratches for rooms/decks decoration

Btw, I think our dear modders already created "old-style" window mods.

9. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

And as a person who wears glasses, I can tell you that's the opposite of what it should be.

10. Smokki Trainee Engineer

To me it seems like some people haven't tested the glass outside of bright sunlight conditions. What even was the problem with the old glass? It worked perfectly fine.

In what way is this improvement over the old glass?
    [​IMG]

11. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

The glass in Empyrion is absolutely gorgeous and done so right. It has imperfections, which distort light rays and reflections, but its the kind of 'thick glass mottling' style. Not monkey poo and straw, and chicken scratches all over the place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and you can use a tool to 'flip the tint' to whichever side you want it on =p Or not at all.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

[​IMG]
    View from the bridge:
    [​IMG]
    View from the Helm:
    [​IMG]
    OMG I'm dropping SE right now for Empyrion. Plus I really think the game needs those sofas, too. Can we get a pic of the fireplace? Life in Empyrion looks hard. You got screenshots from any other games that have clear glass? There must be like, what, all of them? Dat Empyrion glass tho...

13. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

I HATE these new Windows!

It's like you start to weld a new Window and all of the sudden a Cosmic Cat jumps and scratches everything.

Yes, some level of "wear damage" is interesting, but it's just way too much and judging by the time it's taking KSH to revert this mess, my guess is that the person who decided to do this is a position of "making decisions", reverting back could/may hurt their ego...

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

I know I'm late to the party; it's because I tried to give the new shit-glass a fair chance. Anyways, here's my $.02.

When a pet crashes into a freshly cleaned glass door or window, it is not the glass's fault. Period. End of story. Sorry Marek, you belong in a pet-v.s.-glass compilation video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

I had already come to the conclusion that the devs don't like seeing a long time ago with the bass-ackwards eye adaptation in DX11, crappy lights, and the ridiculous camera overlay. The new windows just confirm this notion; The devs are slowly trying to blind us.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Aurex Trainee Engineer

When I woke up this morning, the first thing I did was to take a good look outside. The windows here on Earth are magnificent, transparent... not grimy or otherwordly blue. Those poor souls in outer space must be feeling miserable if they can't even stare at all those beautiful planets/asteroids without being blinded by all the blueness and grime. Oh, something related to how I feel when I see windows in Space Engineers...

17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I think it's just way too easy to be insanely critical on the internet, it's cool to hate, and people just like to jump on bandwagons. I've used more glass on one ship than most players use for an entire fleet. I don't see the need to replace a single pane. All the devs are doing right now is getting things in place. Nothing is final, including the bass ackwards eye adaptation in DX11, crappy lights, and the ridiculous camera overlay.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

After you woke up did you don your space suit and go looking for some platinum so you could finish that thruster? Or perhaps you checked your refinery to see if those construction components were done? Yeah. SE isn't played here on Earth.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Or in this year.

Being space age, and somewhat further advanced technology being available, you would expect glass to not look like it was dragged through the player's gravel storage space. That's the point Aurex is making.

Sarcasm aside, it looks bad. Real bad. And if we don't tell them it might stay this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. KissSh0t Master Engineer

The poll results are interesting.

The poll results dont lie.

Keen....

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. Potter Apprentice Engineer

And, sorry to double post on this, but platinum isn't found on earth in SE, and refineries don't make construction components you silly goose. Assemblers do! :woot:

22. Aurex Trainee Engineer

It was a light hearted joke. Oh, by the way. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/11/23F2E93B00000578-2869929-image-a-58_1418299999375.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  23. KissSh0t Master Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

On the other hand, we don't have any assurance that technology has advanced at it's current rate. For all we know there may have been a catastrophic war that depleted resources and forced us off-planet. Space Age glass might still not be scratch resistant. There's no good reason to expect anything to be true 60 years from now. Apparently, according to Keen, glass can be scratched in 2077.
    It's not likely to stay this way anyway. That's been my point all along. Between now and release it may change several times.
    And apparently, according to Keen, glass comes scratched in SE, then stays that way :eek:.

25. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Touché, my good man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Good news. @Xocliw confirmed that KSH is looking to redo the window texture.

It wasn't that I liked the glass. I was fine with it, that's all. People saying, "I can't see through it" and "I can't pilot my ship" were just exaggerating to be on the bandwagon. The only real problem with the glass is that there are enough scratches so that you notice the pattern if you have two panes next to each other. It was just too obvious. Anyway soon it will all be over and you'll have to find something else to dogpile on.

I know, the armor blocks are not perfectly smooth!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  27. Spets Master Engineer

28. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

im telling you we can have both if keen just adds a build phase to all the windows. move through girder framework ----> beat the heck up glass ------> nice clean new glass.

• Like Like x 1
  29. jfjohnny5 Trainee Engineer

Fantastic!! :D Curious: where did he make the confirmation?

30. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Towards the end of his stream yesterday. He was saying all the blocks were getting updated and I asked (as a joke) if they were leaving the glass alone and he said no, it was getting changed. He did NOT say it was going to be clear. Just... changed. He also mentioned that during Marek's broadcast last Monday when they played the first version of the game, Marek mentioned that he liked the old textures, which were all worn, scratched and dented.

Careful what you wish for.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.