Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Phoenix Fleet Systems - Wyvern II Carrier

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Lord Commissar, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

2. DaePrice Apprentice Engineer

I agree with Sungur, The emblem is Perfect, but the Text needs a little tweaking.

3. Conradian Moderator

My biggest criticism is how dark the logo goes, making it blend into the black background. I think a lighter border might be needed around the thing.

4. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

might be your brightness settings, it stands out quite well for me. theres a small amount of blending, but i like the looks of it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Conradian Moderator

6. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

Fafnir Gunship

Mass: 118,270 kg
    Acceleration: 22.14 m/s^2
    Crew: 1 Pilot, 1 Gunner, 11 Passengers
    Weapons: 2 Gatling Turrets, 4 Reloadable Rocket Launchers, 4 Autocannons
    Storage: 20 Small Containers, 3 Medium Containers
    Connectors: 1
    Oxygen: 1 Generator, 1 Tank

The Fafnir was designed as the next generation gunship for the Phoenix Navy. It was meant to be a combination of successful designs like the Piranha Fighter, the Hornet Gunship, and the Bantam Dropship.

While the Fafnir does have one weakness in that it is more lightly armored than dropships like the Bantam, it does have the advantage in that the cockpit is well armored while still allowing for a high amount of visibility. Still, its main defense is designed to be its speed, where it is faster than any other gunships currently in the fleet. The troop bay is designed in such a way that it allows for a quick offload or onload of troops, so that it can make quick and efficient extractions, leaving before the enemy has time to respond.

If pilots decide to stay in combat, it is still useful through its heavy forward firepower. It has multiple rockets and autocannons, as well as supporting firepower with nearly full coverage on both sides of the gunship, and this allows it to easily support troops both before and after it drops them off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Howitz Junior Engineer

FAPFAPFAPFAFNIR!!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Couldn't have said it better myself

9. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

I imagine you having either a giant collection of mythology names or spending hours on the internet...

11. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Well, there goes my plan to use Fafnir as the name for my next armored vehicle. ;)

12. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures_by_type

and Dwarf Lord, there are no trademarks in space ;) let us leave behind these stupid earthly customs.

13. DaePrice Apprentice Engineer

HERE HERE!!!!

14. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

15. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

Habrok Fighter

Mass: 47,017 kg
    Acceleration: 28.4 m/s^2
    Length: 12.5m
    Weapons: 4 Rocket Launchers, 8 Autocannons
    Storage: 1 Medium Container
    Connectors: 1
    Oxygen: 1 Tank

The Habrok is a heavy interceptor which represents the embodiment of Phoenix fighter philosophy - speed and firepower. It is faster than almost all other manned fighters of the fleet, and is complimented with 8 autocannons to utterly devastate any enemy fighters it comes accross.

Habrok Fighters are used exclusively by Ace pilots of the Navy, and serve as a symbol of one's veterency - the fighter is a medal or commendation in itself. As such, Habrok fighters do tend to be more rare within carrier fleets. However, they are always a welcome sight among any squadron, where their distinct and easily recognizable paint scheme serves to boost morale, while serving as a threat to any enemies facing them.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

HvyD - STX - Strix Heavy Dropship

Mass: 874,864 kg
    Acceleration: 3.05 m/s^2
    Weapons: 2 Rocket Launchers
    Storage: 10 Small Containers
    Connector: 1
    Oxygen: 2 Generators, 4 Tanks
    Crew: 6 Troops, 1 Pilot, 1 Co-pilot
    Batteries: 4

The Strix was developed alongside the Sköll to be used for the transportation of the vehicle. It is a small ship with a very simple purpose: Get the troops to their destination, fly over a target zone while the Sköll drives out, and leave until extraction. Although it is not heavily purposed towards combat, the Strix does possess two rocket launchers to help soften enemy resistance before dropping its payload. It is also well armored underneath, where it is expected to receive the most enemy fire.

Sköll ATLT (All Terrain Light Transport)

Mass: 16,962 kg
    Weapons: 1 Reloadable Rocket Launcher
    Crew: 1 Driver, 1 Gunner, 4 Passengers
    Storage: 1 Medium Container
    Batteries: 1

The Sköll was designed as a covert insertion and fast attack vehicle, and is a favorite among naval special forces. Using the Strix to transport it, it can either drive down the ramp and onto a surface (assuming the Strix has landed), or simply jump out mid-air and use its engines to coast to the surface below. In this way, it is designed to be inserted quickly and easily, allowing the Strix to receive minimal enemy fire. While on the ground, the Sköll moves quickly accross rough terrain, carrying its troops to their destination. It also possesses a rocket launcher turret to help to support the insertion of its troops.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

That is beautiful. Also, I'm getting flashbacks to the Mako.

18. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

some critics,

1-the rocket launcher might hit the hull if fired in turning,
    2-i think the rear gate is too close to the thrusters, i imagine during a combat drop, the ship would approach at full speed and the thrusters vicinity would not be a nice place to be.
    3-gyros have a tendency to damage their neighbouring blocks when hit so i am not sure that leaving some gyros in the open especially in a ship that is much likely a target to AA fire.

suggestions,

1-a nose mounted rocket launcher. additionally for close air support a belly or wing mounted gatling turret would provide great flexibility to that platform.
    2- maybe a c-130-like rear gate?

so these are my first thoughts...

19. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

nose mounted weaponry required a conveyor line all the way to the front, which there was no space for. i am aware of the possibility of shooting ones own self, but space limited my ability and careful piloting is a fix for anything. i didnt want a turret on the bottom so that it could remain flat and land on the surface if it wanted to.

the point about gyros is true though. they were a last minute edit after i had already filled up the interior and suddenly realized i didn't have any lol.

the thrusters should not be a problem though, since the vehicle will always fall down and away from the flames. if someone really thinks it is a problem, they could always coast without dampners when doing an insertion.

and yes @Dwarf-Lord Pangolin, this was very mako inspired ;)

20. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

Vidofnir Artillery Cruiser

Mass: 9,275,151 kg
    Height: 197.5m
    Acceleration: 5.48 m/s^2
    Weapons: 14 Large Ship Cannon Turrets, 8 Gatling Turrets
    Storage: 8 Large Containers, 34 Small Containers
    Production Systems: 1 Refinery, 10 Assemblers
    Oxygen Systems: 8 Generators, 38 Tanks
    Connectors: 2
    Crew: 9

Originally developed to be a Hunter-Killer Ship, the Vidofnir soon found itself in a very natural role as an artillery cruiser, striking the enemy with massed firepower before they get in range. Although the standard model comes with 8 gatling turrets to help defend against fighters, many of these ships sit back far enough away from the enemy to avoid such threats, and many models were produced with a full compliment of 22 cannons.

It quickly saw service around Titan, where it was put to use protecting Phoenix controlled systems and acting as a deterrent for any pirates or enemies that came near. In this role, the ship quickly became a symbol of the Phoenix Home Fleet, and it was known as a guardian of Phoenix Systems. It therefore earned the name Vidolfnir, taking the name from the guardian of Norse Mythology.

21. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

I had been working on a new torpedo ship but then last week's patch caused a glitch made large ship blast door missiles impossible to use with my launching system.

after hours of testing, we have developed a small ship missile to replace the now incompatible payload. Much thanks to Whiplash for the original concept here:

[​IMG]

Introducing the RAKAP (Rocket Assisted Kinetic Armor Piercing) Torpedo

Like Whiplash's design, this is a dumb fire missile that increases in mass via spaceballs after it finishes its acceleration. The main difference is the introduction of the rocket assist.

Launch Sequence:
    1 - the missile is lowered out the torpedo bay. Once the sensor recognizes that there is nothing in front of the missile, it activates the engines and the host ship releases the torpedo.
    2 - when acceleration is complete, Spaceballs increase the mass from around 7k kg to 67k kg
    3 - 50m out from the target, a rocket is fired ahead of the missile - this prepares the target for missile impact and prevents phase glitching
    4 - impact, obviously

The missile has an acceleration of 24m/s^2 and a minimum range around 220m

• Like Like x 1
  22. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

Also, here is a pic of the ship that will be launching said torpedoes. On that note, what do you guys think of the paint scheme? I thought about going for a very stealth feel to this ship, so i took inspiration from Mordu's Legion ships as far as colors go. It would be the shade of blue you see with maybe some darker or lighter patches and then light gray accenting. Would you rather see that for this ship, or would a standard Phoenix white and dark blue work better? Let me know!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  23. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

What kind of role do you envision it in? Is it packing multiple torpedoes for a single heavy strike or launching a continuous barrage over time?

It looks ruthless BTW.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  24. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

From my point of view i like the Phoenix Color Pattern, my own ships are mostly white with some black parts here and there, but on this beauty the blueish-greyish thing fits i think, would like to see the final version with the other shades of grey you mentioned.

25. mhalpern Senior Engineer

hmm you know what would be cool- a small ship deployable version of this for stealth missions, also would be important for stealth missions, you'd be surprised the kind of damage you can do inexpensively with simple hit and runs- provided a place to resupply.

26. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

i probably will look into building a small ship bomber now that i have something worth firing. i just never built a bomber before because small ship missiles were inferior to stock weaponry.

it will be a torpedo cruiser, launching up to 4 waves of 8 missiles, or 8 waves of 4, depending on whether you fire both sides of the bay simultaneously or not.

27. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

8 at once, nice. I'd say stealth colouring if it's quick enough to be an ambush vessel. If it's more a long range bombardment kind of ship, I'd say standard fleet colours. Either way, I think it'll look good.

28. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

yeah thats the thing. i doubt this will be suited for much other than medium to long range bombardment as it already weighs around 6mil. i wanted to try out a more stealthy paint scheme because much of the design of this ship was stealthy, but i'm having trouble justifying the different colors.

29. Spectre250 Trainee Engineer

Could justify the new paint scheme with the whole "It's hard to kill what you cannot see" approach to the coloration of the vessel. Figure if you intend for this ship for standoff engagements, you might as well make visual targeting of it as difficult as possible.

30. mhalpern Senior Engineer

to clarify on the grammatical error in my comment- I was gonna say something about a mission clock- to keep pilots in sync without comms

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.