Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Piston Bounce Damping

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Mollymawk, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

what is the most effective way to damp piston bounce?

I have a space elevator on the ice moon, its working very well, it walks up and down the pole.
    but when the cargo is full there is a lot of bounce on the pistons ( 4 groups of 4 pistons stacked ).

I have tried adding thrusters and gyros as a damping method, but its getting close to looking like I may as well use thrusters to climb, which i don't want to do, the climbing machine looks nice and dynamic. the bounce is fine with the pistons speed set to 2 but 4 and above it starts getting very bouncy.

I'm wondering if dynamically accelerating and decelerating the pistons with script would cause less bounce because the final velocity is slower. has anyone tried this? I'm quite happy coding it my self, but is was just wondering if anyone has had good results moving heavy loads on fast pistons..

once its stable this will eventually automate moving ice into space, as the ice on the moon is quite flat and all over the place , mining it with auto drones is quite easy.. I'll eventually have sh.. loads of hydrogen for capitals, where i need it in space.

2. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

If they only move in one direction do shared Inertia Tensor

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

erm ... i may have a solution. its funny when you try to explain stuff to people you have ideas. I just need a scaffold with landing gear next to my pistons , locking the landing gear should stop the bounce. The scaffold could even be small grid. I'll sleep on it and try tomorrow.
    --- Automerge ---
    That's fixed it.. it runs top speed now!.. thanks.. over 2000 hours in and still missing things.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

haha no worries - that setting usually meant instant death for any and all grids around it, but since the major physic update for pistons and rotors, the setting has been behaving.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

That's fixed it.. it runs top speed now!.. thanks.. 2000 hours in and still missing things.
    --- Automerge ---
    I have tried space evevators several times in the past.but klang did not aprove.. ive noticed more of my mad ideas hold together much better these days so i thought i would give it another try.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.