Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Piston Weld Option

Discussion in 'General' started by Kham, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Ok, I have to ask because I'm at a loss. What is this new function pistons have?
    When I saw the change log, I thought we were going to get an option to 'lock' a piston in place, but this weld speed option which is measured in metres per second and accompanied by a 'force weld' option is not what I was expecting. I can't for the life of me figure out what it's supposed to do.

2. Malware Master Engineer

They call the locking in place "welding". The speed option allows you to adjust when this happens automatically, and the checkbox allows you to force it into its locked state - as you're expecting.

I'm hoping they change that text though, it's not exactly... representative.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Ahhhh! OK, thank you that does make sense and is kind of what I was expecting but the wording made no sense to me at all. I guess some things get lost in translation.

4. Krougal Senior Engineer

Now maybe someone can 'splain me the usefulness of this since so far all it sounds like it does is make a piston not a piston.
    Why would I want a piston that is not a piston?

5. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

For what it does, it rigidly attaches two or more grids together, basically they do not move and behave as one grid, so if you crash into something attached to a locked piston instead of breaking the piston the collision is calculated the same as if you had armor blocks connecting the two grids instead of a piston.

In theory it's great, but in practice not as much: I usually have good luck with rotors and pistons, but these things break other pistons attached to them when they unweld and you have no control over anything attached all of a sudden. So if I had a piston on a piston, as soon as I weld the first piston the other disappears out of the K menu and cannot be moved until you unlock the first.

So tldr manual locks for pistons need work

6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Because a Piston is actually two parts held together by hope and despair. The base of the Piston acts just like any regular Armor Block in the sense that it is part of the grid that it is placed upon. The Pistonhead, however, is a seperate, new grid and only stays connected to the Piston base by the Piston's irregular properties. This leads to problems like microvibrations because the engine (i blame Havok but it might be VRage too) isn't precise enough for the calculations; these vibrations are the main reason for the Piston's fame of exploding at the tip of a hat. (The Rotor has the very same problem.) The Locking-maneuver, in theory, keeps those vibrations in check by simply not allowing the Piston head to move. While this means that the Piston is temporarily made unuseable it should theoretically eliminate random detonations when whatever is connected to the head isn't quick or stable enough to behave itself. I have not tested this yet myself but it's one of the few somewhat promising workarounds to fixing Pistons and Rotors. Other than replacing Havok, of course, and YES, i know, i know, but come on - it'd be totally worth the year of dev time...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Yeah I made a very poorly and unrealistic crane last night to hual a military transport out of a ditch(or canyon, its all relative) with 3 pistons and a landing gear, and just now noticed the weld option, thank you for the explanation.

8. Krougal Senior Engineer

Ok, so in theory it is a "lock for transport" function.
    Which in all likelihood actually means "produce and store explodium" until unlocked which then means "release all explodium now"

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Aye.

Indeed.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.