Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Pistons and Wheels

Discussion in 'General' started by Tenzo, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Heya,

I was wondering if you are able to make wheels turn left or right or have functioning propulsion when you attach them to pistons?

I put pistons on the side of my ship, blast doors instead of regular blocks in order to not have them get stuck when extending and retracting, and then placed 3x3 wheel suspensions horizontally. Well, in this setup the wheels are just dead. They don't turn, they don't spin forward, and are generally unresponsive.

I tried various setups in creative and I have never been able to create a combination of Piston + 3x3 wheel suspensions where the wheels work. Does anyone have any input into why this is happening?

Is this a bug? Or am I missing something.

On a side note, in the Control Panel, the wheels that are on pistons show up as bright red, then bright orange, and then yellow, etc. The more you have. This is supposed to mean disconnected inventories, but I even tried placing a battery and then the suspension attached on the battery, and the wheel still doesn't turn/spin.

Not sure what to make of this.

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@mojomann71 Thanks!

I didn't know that. Saved me a whole lot of time trying to figure out why they weren't working.

And thanks for the link, I wonder if they should do some common scripts for things like this and include them in vanilla. If the programmable block came with some useful default scripts for things like this, it wouldn't hurt.

A regular player will not know this exception and will try to get wheels to work on pistons or rotors, never figuring them out.

4. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Most new players give up on wheels early and shy away from mods. Only thing scarier than mods are scripts that require a Programmable Block.

What needs to happen is more people need to experiment with wheel suspensions in general, and they need to try using scripts and PBs. Eventually people will catch on. I played for years before ever trying a script, and now I am finding that scripts answer a lot of prayers.

Although they occasionally spark their own subset of curses ;)