Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Pistons on Ships

Discussion in 'General' started by RedeemerBlood, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. RedeemerBlood Trainee Engineer

Just wondering if we are ever going to have the option to have objects connected to ships by pistons that function as the same ship?

I recently made a sentry drone (pic below) with pistons attaching its 'wing modules' (like a Tie Fighter sort of) that retract for a more compact fit in my hangar but was a little dismayed when I found out that I cannot control the thrusters on the wing modules due to them not being considered as 'part of the ship'. Also it was consistently being pulled nose down when flying due to the drag (I'm assuming) from the weight on the sides of the wing modules.

Also I had plans prior to doing this as well for a kind of VTOL style spacecraft but realized now that currently with this mechanic it is not possible.

I really hope this gets added and a option on the piston permits this because I see from my searching the other night that a lot of others would like this option as well (for retractable landing gear especially). Or if someone knows a work around it would be great to hear from you.

Also, just have to commend you guys on a truly excellent game (bought it for 2 of my friends on Steam as well) so far and your commitment to your following. It is something that is sorely missed this day and age with a lot of devs but you guys at Keen continue to raise the bar. Kudos to you all.
    [​IMG]

2. Radma Kanow Apprentice Engineer

Game engine "feature". Everything not solid connected to the main grid is considered separate. This affects pistons, rotors and I believe merge block as well. And this makes those two blocks work as they do currently. Game has to know which parts don't belong to main grid so it could be moved. Sadly, same mechanics prevent us from direct control over stuff, even if for us it's an integral but moving part.

There's a workaround for that, not perfect but it may help. You can always try steering with thrust override increase/decrease (crude and ineffective in 3D flight but doable with ground vehicles) or try remote control option. Simply add RC block, link to it and you will have total WSAD input for separate parts.

You're partially right. Tho it's not the drag but center of mass and thrust calculations that are done by game engine. If you put all mass on single grid you can control its movement in certain direction by just single thruster - no matter where it's placed. But if you divide that mass into two different (yet connected by piston) grids and one will have that single thruster, you'll find that your ship no longer flies straight.

In a single grid example game calculates mass and thrust and applies all thrust that mass moves straight. With separate grids game attempts to move part of a mass while another part resists with a "drag". This is a reason I have fun times with cargo transports with detachable cargo pods.

3. Knsgf Junior Engineer

Fixed that for you. Merge blocks and landing gear physically meld ships into a bigger one.

4. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Fixed that for you. Merge blocks align and merge two diffrent grids into one. Landing gear are unique connection type that physical locks two different grids into each others physics instance so one will do as the other, but as many have found, the game tends to handle this poorly... or hilariously. Try useing a landing gear on a bent armor block and get ready for a free ride :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. drkrieger Apprentice Engineer

The big thing that Landing Gear does (in my experience) is merge the center of mass of the two grids. This way there's no 'drag'. Merge block does the same but physically connects the two grids.

6. Radma Kanow Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for clarification, wasn't completely sure as I had some off-balance issues while using ship and its cargo pod linked via merge block. It was some time ago and it could be changed by now.

And a word about piston/rotor and locking them with merge block. Be warned that it may cause violent explosion upon merging. Or introduce some weird movement issues. It seems like game tries to keep two parts moving and stable at the same time. This produces tensions which could lead to either destruction or wild spin. I saw more than few videos about how single rotor made 35 Mkg ship spin like a ballerina.

7. RedeemerBlood Trainee Engineer

Thanks for you input all. Ya first saw this issue effects rotors as well on the solar array on my space station.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.