Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Planet Triton in Star System

Discussion in 'General' started by Spirit Warden, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Spirit Warden Trainee Engineer

So a new planet has been added to the game but as of yet it's only available by default in the new scenario. I'm hoping KEEN will add this planet to the current Star System map so it doesn't have to be constantly spawned manually every new game.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

As my dear-departed daddy used to say, "Son, you can hope in one hand and crap in the other; see which one fills up the fastest."

I guess I'm saying that one can hope, but don't expect much.

3. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yeah, there was some talk during the reveal stream about possibly adding it but, honestly, I doubt it will happen. I mean, we as players can add a planet whenever we want to. What was stopping Keen?

4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

The planet is paid for "dlc" so I guess they wont change the default star system because to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Good point.

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Dan2D3D over on steam pointed out that the Triton planet itself is not dlc, it can be manually spawned from creative mode... so.. yeah..

It would be nice if that planet was made apart of the Star System.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

You know, I always though if there were planets they would be the planets from our own system. For performance reasons they expanded the world size to the equivalent of a billion kilometers across, which coincidentally makes it large enough to accomodate all the planets up to Jupiter, which means the asteroid belt would be included. If course the sun would have to be in the center...

There's a world on the Workshop that has all our planets spaced just far enough apart to make things interesting. I imagine you'd have to run it on a computer that meets the recommended specs.

There are a lot of modded worlds out there. Triton was a mod, I believe. I wonder how hard it would be to convert all those world mods to vanilla so that we could place them as we choose without having to download them first?

8. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 I am very very glad they didn't do that. That could never be done convincingly imo. It's not Earth, and it's not Mars. It doesn't even look like Earth, other than superficially. Besides, the real Earth would at the very least be full of remnants of our civilization, and only if we accept the "total annihilation" scenario. I wouldn't buy that.

I don't think Triton was a mod, no. The weather was. Not the planet afaik. The scenario definitely not.

9. KissSh0t Master Engineer

This is the one.

10. Malware Master Engineer

@KissSh0t Are you sure it's the same planet? Because frankly it doesn't look the same... I also can't tell if it's the right modder, there were two modders working with weather - I don't think so, because the snow and weather looks completely different as well.

I'm 99% certain that neither that mod nor that planet is what is in SE today.

Is this Jakaria? Because Jakaria is the modder who wrote the weathersystem for SE.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1937609792&searchtext=weather

Ok, confirmed, it's not the mod in question:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Ohh.. I thought that was the modder that helped with the weather... the planet I wasn't referring too, just the weather, I didn't know there was a different modder doing weather :x

12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yeah. In the early years SE looked a lot like Miner Wars. The skybox was an asteroid field, which was where the game was intended to take place. They changed the name of the game, but it was still about miners getting into wars. But we mined asteroids. Presumably for precious resources to be sent back to Earth. Or Mars. When talk arose about planets, I thought the best thing would be to have Earth, Mars and Jupiter with an asteroid field between Mars and Jupiter. I didn't work out the details because I still figured planets would be part of the skybox and all the action would be in the asteroid field.

Then after planets emerged there was talk of making them procedural. That way you could move out into space and sort of "make up" a system as you go along. That didn't happen, either.

Then the planets we did get are sporting giant insects and mechanical dogs. Not the planets I was looking for. Nope, we got put someplace that looks familiar but is definitely not Kansas.

One thing remains clear to me, though. In the game it seems that activity on planets is called "survival", and activity in space is called "work".

13. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 They did make them procedural. They started there. It simply didn't work. They simply couldn't come up with a generator system that was both fast enough and looked good. They were generic and boring.

14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yeah. I know. It's just too bad. It's right up there with liquid water and orbital mechanics.

I remember asking for planets with toxic atmospheres and hazardous terrain. Well, we've got snow now. Sorta.

15. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It would be kinda cool if there was a planet that was radioactive... then you would have to engineer a vehicle to explore it while staying inside the creation to stay alive hehe.

Still hoping for a gas giant that sucks you in and crushes you if you get too close lol

I haven't made it to any planets since the update so I'm not sure about this but has weather been added to any of the current planets?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Malware Master Engineer

@KissSh0t No. Weather is still script- and command based like the original mod. I doubt they'll add the weather to the default worlds before the current rather bad limitations are fixed.

17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

*sadness levels increase*

18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Triton's in the system now!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FartyParty Trainee Engineer

I'm having a hard time finding the weather options in the notes, and it seems the rain and thunderstorm options did not make it to the latest release. Is there an official weather options list published somewhere? I would still like to use this, even if it's manual at the moment.

20. Malware Master Engineer

I wish I could help you, but... for me this feature is practically useless at its current state, so I never looked it up.