Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

(Planets) No way to mitigate damage - Game is way to hostile right now

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by hyperforce, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. hyperforce Trainee Engineer

With Planets a few things suddenly happened all at once that together make playing on planets extremely hard.

The game is constantly spawning in pirates that attack the player and everything he owns...
    When I load my world I always have an attack drone right next to my base. even when pirates are turned off.

Flying in atmosphere is also very difficult, tiny keytaps for corrections can slam your ship into the ground, damaging your drills when mining resulting in irreparable damage. Even before planets I spend most of my time in survival repairing damage from asteroids and pirate drones.

Frankly the spawn rate of drones is too high and they come way to quickly.
    Honestly, I feel like we need shields or some way to mitigate damage to blocks for a certain duration of time in expense of energy. At least a single bump with the planet surface or these insistent drone attacks wouldn't result in the immediate loss of our ships.

2. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

yeah. it would be nice if they made it so that pirates landed randomly around the planet, not either non-existent or directly next to you like it is now.
    like some time into the game or after the player makes a certain number of blocks have a drop pod land on a random spot and produce pirate stuff when discovered.

for thrusters, it's way easier to go down than to go up- it seems like instead of just letting it fall out of hover mode(hover mode-the phenomena of getting stuck at an altitude even with dampeners off is a feature,right?), it lets it fall and gives it the full power of thrusting, perhaps even making one allow it to crash something that it took several to get up, rather than just unlocking it and making it descend at a normal speed or at least not get stuck in the air

3. BANDIT Apprentice Engineer

i changed soo much! my ship is not the smallest one...i added thrusters over and over......nothing helped...........

i use now a mod which makes the hydro thruster 10 times more powerfull......otherwise there is no way i can get that beast near a planet and survive

4. mhalpern Senior Engineer

transport in smaller lighter chunks or use more thrusters or if you plan on one way- add cushion material, no argument on the pirates OP but I disagree with your energy solution,

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kittle Senior Engineer

I have no problems with the thruster power as is. You just need to design (or re-design) your ships accordingly. For mining, you just have to go slow, and remember the current bug with super slow voxel updates.

But the pirates are a royal PITA. The current 'easy start earth-like' is a great way to get new players to ragequit the game with the pirate base spawning within drone attack range. After about 15min of unending attacks, I used spacemaster mode to delete the base, and life has been good ever since.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DaveUnder Apprentice Engineer

I think also that drones are a problem in Easy Earth start.

Even as long time player it takes some effort to get ammunition production up and running.
    Took some time to find ore for refining etc. Didn't want to grind down things for resources.
    In first game I was completely owned by drones :)

For new players most likely it will take 10x more time to get things settled and if during that time they are harassed by drones over and over.
    They fill get very bad first impression of the game.

Challenge is fun, but only as long you know how the game works and you feel yourself comfortably in game mechanics.
    And beginners are not at that level in their first couple of days in game.
    Solution is not the possibility that they can turn drones off in settings.
    Advanced settings are not place you go tuning your first game impression :)

Dave

7. GeekWere Trainee Engineer

Odd. I thought the super close spawning pirate bug was fixed. Drat. I don't mind them when they're far enough away I either have warning time or they don't bother with me. But next door neighbors practically..nope!

8. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

The problem with the pirate bases on the easy start is not a bug, it was a bad choice from the devs. They put 2 pirate bases close to the easy start base and the pirates keep spawning drones untill you run out of ammo.

In my point of view the pirates should be close, but not that close. They should be out of range of the Easy start base, but be visible, so if the player try to get close they attack, if they stay away they will be fine.

I think pirates should be at least at 30k away from the easy start base, so you have a 10k room to find ores and other stuff with out the chance of drones coming to get you.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  9. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I would like it if they did the opposite of what they used to do with ID- instead of giving extra more power when trying to stop, it dampens the power going down. because when all sides give equal power, but only one doesn't need to fight gravity, it ends up that you can always fly down significantly faster than you can fly up- even if the number of up thrusters outnumber down. this effect is worse when near the ground- in the air it's nice to descend quickly but when the thruster is always at max power near the ground even if you do have more up it can be tricky to now slam it even with a small tap.
    or have a slider. that way you can adjust the power rather than either being in override mode or 100%

10. GeekWere Trainee Engineer

Hm. I haven't been able to run that scenerio proper really. Played a bit, but way too low FPS. Been hosting a LAN server running with the multiplanet scenerio (whatever the name was.)

My educated guess? Turn down view distance so they don't load in (hopefully), and if not, use their scrap for new materials. Could also load up the map after saving, and hit edit, then turn off pirates/drones. I think you can still do that at least..

11. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

Unfortunatly this will not work, since this pirate bases are pre set there by hand, so no mater the view distance they will be there. But yes, turning off drones will stop the attacks.

12. GeekWere Trainee Engineer

Could be like when I run my LAN server and it's impossible to spawn at the default base. :p It just poofs you into free fall.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.