Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

PLEASE increase detail level when zoomed in with a Camera!!!

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Amerikanovich, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Title says it really, anyone who's tried taking out a pirate ship's defenses from a safe distance (>900meters) will know that when looking through a zoomed in camera, it's impossible to tell if what you're doing is having any effect or even hitting since everything looks like a static, blocky mess.

Would it be possible to increase the detail level of things you're looking at through a zoomed camera so you can see clearly what components are damaged or turned on/moving, etc.?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. EstebanLB Trainee Engineer

Can't be done with the current mechanics. LOD is tied to distance

3. Grit Breather Junior Engineer

This is indeed annoying.
    It will likely not be an easy fix but it is definitely a required one.

4. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

And mechanics can be changed, it's not like it's hard coded into the engine or something.
    They have a constant value set for which distances change the detail level, they can edit that so that cameras have an effect on that value.
    Primitive fix that worst case could lead to an FPS loss while zoomed in because it would expand the detail distance in every direction rather than just a cone, but it's a start, and honestly it wouldn't be that bad....seeing as you're actually seeing less while zoomed in it would mean less needs to be rendered anyways, probably would be no noticeable difference.

5. Malware Master Engineer

... Isn't that exactly what the purpose of the engine is, to provide mechanics? :p

Sorry, no disrespect intended, that statement just tickled my funnybone :)

It's most certainly doable, but it must be done right - however a simple frustum check should suffice. See my signature, though :p

6. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

I guess I meant game mechanic in the sense of feature and not fundamental capability of the engine :p

Whether or not the engine supports detail distance at all is one thing, but at what distance it's activated and under what circumstances is probably changeable

7. Malware Master Engineer

Of course, but they can't just alter that distance setting, because increasing the detail for everything (like you said) would be very bad for performance. They need to add a culling system, and if I remember correctly that's not fully complete yet (take this statement with a pinch of salt, I may be misremembering), which may be why they haven't done this already.

8. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Ah ok, I had thought culling was already in, I remember a while back when if I would turn around in game very suddenly I could see grids appear into memory, maybe it was another matter though, or just not finished.
    Are higher detail objects that are not actively being rendered by the graphics card really that taxing though? What component would they stress, the RAM? Or are they still rendered in the background?

9. Malware Master Engineer

You're right, there is some culling. And, like I said, I may be misremembering. My computer is powerful enough that I wouldn't really notice much of a difference. I do know they have yet to add occlusion culling, but that's not really relevant for this. Well, it kinda is, since it's relevant to... well... everything render based... but for the most part, no. At any rate, the normal culling will probably need adjustment to function within the zoom - and it's yet another thing to do - and they do have just so many hours, where do we want them to spend their time?

As to performance, remember, not everybody has a powerful computer. And without culling, the models would still be sent for rendering, even if you can't see it, yes, which - while the card can probably handle it just fine, there is still some processing and calculation that happens that isn't necessary. This is what culling is there for, after all :)

Mind you, all this said, I'm a business developer, not a game developer. There's plenty I don't know about game development, what I'm saying is based on educated guesses for the most part, and stuff I learned some time last millenium when I dabbled with game programming on a hobby basis. Much of that is very likely to have changed, what display cards are capable of has most definitely changed.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.