1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Please Keen Give Us a Full List of Updates

Discussion in 'General' started by SubtleSloth, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SubtleSloth

SubtleSloth Trainee Engineer

First off, I love this game. I probably play it way too much. But, being a server admin, I would love to know what exactly Keen has changed after the last 4 days of updates. I don't think this is asking much, and I think the rest of the community would be happy/benefit from an actual changelog.

BUMP FOR FULL CHANGELOG!

• Agree Agree x 19
  2. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Actually i won't just sign this but i'll also ask for full changelogs for EVERY update. Because that clearly ain't happening right now.

• Agree Agree x 11
  3. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There are lots of changes that impact the game that fly under the radar. For example, the amount of damage missiles/rockets do was doubled if my information is correct.

Space Engineers is about ENGINEERING. So any change to the configuration of blocks or game-play is very important as they will impact how things are built. (cough: welder f-ery was a prime example)

I believe @ChickenNugget put together a Google Doc spreadsheet that can compare block attributes and notify the player of changes. I'm not sure how much of this is manual, but I think a lot of the process is automated.

Keen needs to do this as it's always a "surprise" when you're playing.

Yes, it's a little more work. But some things are worth doing... especially COMMUNICATING with your player-base.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

apart from missiles changing their damage i believe a good few player creations where exploding because the missile appears at a new point in the missile launcher...which means having a "barrel" wrapped around it no longer works..

meaning a missile vent of some kind is needed i believe....

missiles still spawn with 0 m/s when fired right? they don't spawn with the speed of the ship that fire them right?

5. Sumyunguy

Sumyunguy Trainee Engineer

Agreed. Pretty silly to not be listing everything that changes, especially with hot fixes.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Senior Engineer

Unfortunately its one of the most asked for things and it just can't seem to happen. I mean... internally they are tracking the changes right??? At least I hope they are. Maybe that is how old bugs keep coming back in. (Malware bait activated)

7. Robotnik V

Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Straight from the ammos sbc file, your welcome.

<Ammo xsi:type="MyObjectBuilder_MissileAmmoDefinition">
    <Id>
    <TypeId>AmmoDefinition</TypeId>
    <SubtypeId>Missile</SubtypeId>
    </Id>
    <BasicProperties>
    <DesiredSpeed>200</DesiredSpeed>
    <SpeedVariance>0</SpeedVariance>
    <MaxTrajectory>800</MaxTrajectory>
    <IsExplosive>true</IsExplosive>
    <BackkickForce>700</BackkickForce>
    <PhysicalMaterial>Missile</PhysicalMaterial>
    </BasicProperties>
    <MissileProperties>
    <MissileMass>45</MissileMass>
    <MissileExplosionRadius>4</MissileExplosionRadius>
    <MissileModelName>Models\Weapons\Projectile_Missile.mwm</MissileModelName>
    <MissileAcceleration>600</MissileAcceleration>
    <MissileInitialSpeed>100</MissileInitialSpeed>
    <MissileSkipAcceleration>false</MissileSkipAcceleration>
    <MissileExplosionDamage>500</MissileExplosionDamage>
    </MissileProperties>
    </Ammo>

Missile initial speed is the speed it starts with, missile acceleration is the acceleration, desired speed is the max speed, max trajectory is the max range the missile can fly. Also, this is the entire reason why missile turrets can't track while moving, if you're moving at 100m/s and you fire a missile then that missile is already moving at 200m/s, any additional acceleration will override the movement that the missile inherited from the ship it was launched from. Easy fix, reduce the acceleration, decrease the initial flight speed, and increase the max acceleration.

8. Ronin1973

Well the initial speed may be too low. In certain instances a ship will travel faster than 100 m/s according to the HUD. Whether you are actually moving at 107 m/s might be different. However, there is also rotational speed to factor in as well. Your ship may be moving at 100 m/s as far as the center of mass. But if you're rotating the ship the speed of the rotation will add to that maximum relative to the world matrix. There is a maximum rotational speed somewhere in the .sbc code. There's one set for large ships and one set for small based on the longest distance from the center of mass.

The other factor is computational error and priority. If the ship is calculated first to move then the missile, they could possibly try to occupy the same space... BOOM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Robotnik V

There used to be a safety time where they didn't explode, trust me, I used to put full armor blocks in front of the rocket launchers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Ronin1973

That's a bit of a cheat and that's probably why they did away with rockets spawning in front of the ships... which solved the problem. Thanks.

11. Commander Rotal

Commander Rotal Master Engineer

It doesn't seem like they do, at least not effectively. I regularly spy Keen Staff being unsure whether something is a bug or a change (latest example: we're still not entirely sure if Hydrogen Thrusters eating actual Hydrogen in Creative Mode is an intented feature or not.).
    Might be worth it to loop in @Xocliw.

12. sammyvoncheese

sammyvoncheese Apprentice Engineer

The list of regressions is too long to track..

13. Manticore

Manticore Apprentice Engineer

I seem to have received update after update for SE every time I log into Steam this week. I just got another of 72mb. right now. This doesn't seem that normal for KSH.

Is everyone (or anyone) else experiencing this run of updates this week?

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Senior Engineer

I seem to remember getting 3 different updates for SE. Turning on steam right now... just gave me a 75mb update.

15. Robotnik V

Unlikely, the percent of the player base that new about this, and used it in any pvp setting was so astronomically small that they probably didn't even notice the issue.

They do this every so often. Most likely they're emergency hotfixes, but I could be wrong.

16. Manticore

Thanks for the reply.

17. SubtleSloth

I have gotten a SE update every day this week so far and I am awaiting today's so I can update my server. Just wish they would let us know what they are fixing/changing.

18. Manticore

Again, and as you say, I am getting updates every time I log into Steam.

What's up with this guys? What's going on?

19. Helaton

Helaton Apprentice Engineer

If you take a look at the download size for the past few updates, it has been pretty consistent. I'd bet they are doing tweaks to the same feature over and over to try to isolate a single bug or series of related bugs. When one doesn't work, they micro patch the feature, and then push it up. So the changelog may actually look pretty empty if they are doing repetitive tests of the same feature over and over.

20. Ronin1973

I think it's the new norm for a truly "major" update like multi-core physics. There's some obvious decision making going on. "Can this wait until Thursday or should we get this out now?" The only down side is if they're rushing out fixes and they are causing other equally as bad problem.

As different play styles will dominate different parts of the code, what is necessary and what is "better" is debatable. If a hotfix breaks/fixes a problem on an active game server that's critical to play... well you'll hear about it.

21. Jas

Jas Apprentice Engineer

there should be a bugtracker system, i cant say which bugs are active and how to investigate them

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. SubtleSloth

I didn't even think about that. It's a decent thought, but still, even the little things should be addressed I think, whether that be a changelog entry, or otherwise. They could at least give us an idea why we are getting a new update EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'm not mad, just curious. It doesn't take but 5 minutes to update a server, but I would love to know at least what they are doing instead of being left in the dark and having to reset my server every day.

23. Ronin1973

I did as Keen suggested and checked out the FULL list of bug fixes/changes in the forums. There were five short bullet points. I was underwhelmed by the piles and piles of data.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Barrio575

Barrio575 Apprentice Engineer

After years of development, this still has not been sorted out. Such a joke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Spets

Spets Master Engineer

all this patches are about random crashes

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Sykel

Sykel Trainee Engineer

And maybe even a clear roadmap?

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. CodeMonkey1001

CodeMonkey1001 Trainee Engineer

I myself am waiting for a couple of bugs to be fixed and would prefer to read if it was fixed rather than spending 15-20 minutes in the game to see if this mid-week patch fixed it. If another mid-week patch was released again, then I'd repeat the 15-20 minutes again and again.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.