Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

POI’s & Local Random events

Discussion in 'General' started by ObjectZero, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

POI’s & Local Random events

Ok be for I head off to post this off to the suggestion section, I figured I’d post get some help fleshing out this idea some. (see which way I’m spinning my wheels)???

We have the visual scripting tool now. While it’s nice you can make worlds with missions on them but it seems (at least as far as I know) that it locked to that one world. So anything you script in that world could only happen in that world. I’ve also seen ship and items built on the workshop both MOD and Vanilla that use timing and programming block to give POI’s a bit of life and interest. But that’s still pretty limited and totally tied to the object they’re built in to.

I’d like to see a way to script random event, without having to tie it to a world, object or a MOD.:stare:

Maybe finally be able to make the hunted ghost ship of the void, a sudden radiation spike, getting to escape the self destruct of a booby trapped station and a few too many other ideas to list. But I figure you get the general direction of the idea:p.

As it is right now if you’re playing single player or in multiplayer after a short while of playing there is nothing that really surprises you that wasn’t cause by you or another play (or glitch but not count that:eek:ops:).

Ok that’s all I have on this half baked idea so far:whatever:.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Interesting....... Can you define this some more? In my opinion, your examples don't seem to be what you want them to be.

Hunted ghost ship (likely tied to object of ship), radiation spike (what?), booby trapped station (likely tied to object of station).......

Seems like you are trying to add weird items that wouldn't normally happen in space, breaking realism and will be avoided by developers.

3. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

If i get the OP right, the suggestion is like this:

While playing on your map a random position is picked by the Event Script, which shows up on your HUD as a GPS Coordinate (or maybe not to make it more suprising?), so you fly there and find a ship/station which is placed there by the Script to start attacking/exploding/else when you approach/enter... or it simulates stuff like solar flares, radiation or similar which may damage your ship or influence your systems in a way or another... Script might be a confusing term here, i imagine it more like a toggleable world option like wolfs/spiders and such...

Basically something to make the huge empty space we have less empty, correct?

I like the idea, but i have no clue if this could be implemented, and if, how...

4. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

@Dante McFox That kind of the general direction I was going for.

Sorry about the half baked post. I'm still working with the new scripting tools they've given us and seeing what the limits are. There isn't a lot of coverage on using the tool yet (at least as far as I've found).

The tool lets you place in event triggers but the placement of the trigger looks to be pretty static. Guessing that's why they call it a "mission" builder over an "event" builder.

5. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Well, similar to exploration, maybe even import from the workshop once a set of guidelines are determined.

6. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

That would be a great implementation of the scripting, if they could be self contained events that can spawn into random worlds.

7. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

yup @beelzerob, as it is right now it can't be done in random world gen'. You can bring in creation in to worlds with MOD from the workshop. But they can't really contain a mission to them. You can get them to do a far bit, but it requires a far number of timers and programming block to do so and there is still the high chance it won't even work and if you wan to make a scripted event or mission you have to use the world it was built in not a random gen'.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.