Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Poll 2: Minor Features

Discussion in 'General' started by opethbtbam, Oct 26, 2016.

?

What minor features would you most like to see in Space Engineers?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2016.
  1. Grid count and block count per grid

4.7%
  2. An armor mechanic

27.4%
  3. Ladders

42.4%
  4. LCD screens that display camera feeds

45.6%
  5. Parachutes

21.9%
  6. A search bar for active mods

5.0%
  7. Camera streaming to screen in cockpit

28.2%
  8. A stat tracker

3.7%
  9. An additional port on top of refinery (two ports facing the same direction)

4.2%
  10. Steam achievements

5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Draygo Senior Engineer

Ladders and Parachutes already exist (as mods).

If they are going to add new mechanics I would prefer them to be things that cannot exist right now (without a plugin).

2. Spets Master Engineer

Armor Mechanics, I'm tired of this crystal, paperboard made ships that breaks with a little touch
    Camera streaming to screen in cockpit? this should be in the HUD Improvements list

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

Of the current list, voted for Ladders and LCD cameras.

Body armor/character equipment would be my 3rd choice if I could...game needs character customization in general, but that is very much an auxiliary feature that can wait.
    In this regard, game feels pretty ancient using old fashioned full model switching but yeah, obviously not a priority. Gotta bring it up every now and then though of course :p

4. Mikemc Trainee Engineer

I want to see some actual water. Why is this so complicated? It doesn't have to flow, just make a sphere inside the planet model with dampened gravity and a fog effect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Because a sphere inside the planet model isn't actual water, and if they do this they'd want to do it right.
    (I'd be fine with primitive water too but there's some problems with that as well.)

6. Krypt Junior Engineer

None of them.
    [✓] Monospaced font
    [✓] Font modding
    :)

7. Harrekin Master Engineer

I'll take what you're having with a side of "cross-grid programmable block communication", please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Duckroll Trainee Engineer

I just want to see the enemies fixed so they don't just lazily send 1 drone every 10 minutes at you ad infinitum. It's also based off of load time not game time, so if you set it to 2 hours and only play for an hour at a time you'll never see drones attack you.

9. Cheetah97 Trainee Engineer

I voted for more realistic armor and live feeds, because that's what game developers need to implement (because this is not mod-able), but what I mostly like to see in game (on short term) is better pirate fighting AI, pirate difficulty based on game progress level (at least just some banal things like production block and turret count per player), because a vanilla Barb is kind of a trouble when you're only with a grinder but it becomes laughable as soon as you get yourself a decent light fighter, and science progression with mod support (so you have your vanilla blocks at the start, but you need to do research to unlock, say, Azimuth Batteries — or just be able to build them to work-able state). The interesting thing is, this is absolutely do-able by modding even in the current state of game and ModAPI, but no one really bothers to do that. For example, pirates — there's War Against Pirates IMDC, but it's not fun when you get a cruiser hunting you at the very start of the game.

10. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

Where are my glass seat and door blocks for small ships?? :mad:
    Are aerodynamics still on your list?

Edit: Parachutes? Feelsgoodman

Need them for proper drop pods. imagine a mech dropped from orbit and landing with parachutes

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Seff Apprentice Engineer

Glass, seat, interior light, and door blocks for small ships!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. midspace Senior Engineer

No love of planets without atmospheres here.

13. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

@Mikemc While I'd like real water effect as well I'd prefer they hold off on it until they have a way to collect the water first. I'd also like to be able to float on top of it as well and can't forget swimming in animations for it.

14. opethbtbam Apprentice Engineer

Notification: Original post updated.

15. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

No love for weapons either :(

16. Seff Apprentice Engineer

That was in the major features poll.

Was. :V

17. EctoSage Trainee Engineer

The thing most notably missing from this list, is "Expanding upgrade modules."
    A good game mechanic almost completely unused, give different tiered versions of upgrade modules, and allow us to apply them to almost everything, from weapons and ship tools, to thrusters and antennas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. fabricator77 Apprentice Engineer

Voted for ladders: As really useful for existing ship/station designs, not just new builds.
    Voted for LCD screens that display camera feeds: As I just don't see how the same in a cockpit would work better than full screen direct from camera.

19. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

I definitely don't see armor as being shields. But from what it was described it seems more like:

Though I'm not against the idea of shields. But I wouldn't complain if they waited till the game was in a release state before adding them in.

20. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

@Taemien @Commander Rotal

While it seems like they where thinking along the lines of player armor. Due to the mix up it seems they've taken note that we thought of it as general armor for ship and such. So I guess that could be taken as good news.

How stupid or confused do I have to act to get more weapon options noted down as well?

21. opethbtbam Apprentice Engineer

Weapon variety is a feature we have noted that is not in the poll.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@opethbtbam Yeah after reading the explanations i do wonder if it enabling the option to revote or outright resetting the poll isn't worth thinking about. I voted for the Armor Mechanic and the explanation has nothing to do with what i thought i voted for.

23. dispair Apprentice Engineer

I picked camera in cockpit just to push the idea that the cockpit could be so much greater. His info and camera input would make them fantastic.

On an added note an extra camera view would be nice for docking.

Weapons, NPCs, some kind of traders, there is a nice stairwell mod that is nice. Camera input for LCDs and cameras would be great.

Mp code is going on anyways, no point in voting for it.

24. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I think this could be well withing reach of community modders too

25. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Triggered.
    Edit: whoops.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  26. halipatsui Senior Engineer

It is not? Of course i dont have knowledge about the tools but assigning a spherical area with a texture filter and altered gravity does not seem that hard. (Just my opinion) Especially when ability to create spherical gravity fields already exists in the game. Re-mapping planets for water would be its own task of course. Is there some certain block for doing this?

27. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Well this is embarassing, i misread that response as being about the FemGineer. Awkward.
    Anyway, i don't know how hard water would be for modding, but i recon if it was possible via mods someone would've already done it. The main issue with non-volumetric flowing water is, realism or lack-there-of aside, questions about how to implement certain features. How do you tell the game that you want to build a tunnel so it kindly doesn't flood it? How do you tell it what's supposed to be a cave? If you manage to get such a cave and then put a hole into the roof, does your cave flood? Does it flood slowly or instentaniously? How'd you animate that? I think this is a bit too big of a task for the tools modders are given at the moment.

28. DDP-158 Master Engineer

It's not the logistics, it's being a purist. Some players refuse to touch things unless it created only by the godly hands of the developers.

Edit: now I'm in the awkward spot.

But that's the issue with the fake layer atmosphere water. If you dig a tunnel, bam, it's right there and your base immersion is ruined. Can you create a ditch network? Move it? Remove it? These questions have been asked so many times and so far nobody has really given the 'perfect' solution.

29. halipatsui Senior Engineer

You can consider it to be groundwater in super moist ground :,D yeah it would certainly be an offset but as an togglable world setting i would certainly take it. In game the same gravity fields can be negated by same blocks. Maybe field line this could be negated by another block too. A pump block for example. But again it would allow you to make holes in lakes which would be a bit derpy.

30. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

My experience with mods so far has been that:

1) The mod eventually stops being supported and thus stops working at some point in SE development, leaving various designs hanging.

2) It causes problems when you try to play with other people.

3) It makes the already dubious balance of the vanilla game even more dubious.

I'm already almost entirely dependent on user created scripts: Whips optical missiles, MMaster's LCD system, and Tal's TIM. I have tons of mods downloaded and experimented with in creative, but I keep them out of ship designs and out of survival.

Once SE is finished up and there has been a balance pass on the game I'll consider introducing mods into the game proper.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.