Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Poll 3: Biggest Problems

Discussion in 'General' started by opethbtbam, Oct 26, 2016.

?

Which of these do you think is the biggest problem in Space Engineers?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2016.
  1. Multiplayer functionality

34.3%
  2. Piston and rotor issues

12.6%
  3. General bugginess

11.4%
  4. Enemy and environmental hazard balancing

6.3%
  5. Lord Clang (things exploding for no reason and collision detection issues)

19.9%
  6. Ground vehicles/wheel functionality

7.6%
  7. “I’d rather Keen focus on adding more features”

7.8%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. opethbtbam Apprentice Engineer

Hey everyone, we're going to post 3 different polls that we'll leave up for the next week to get some feedback from the community. I want to make clear from the beginning that these are primarily being posted to make sure we're not missing anything, and also make note of anything for the future that doesn't have a high priority right now. Our plates are quite full at the moment and we have no shortage of suggestions/ideas, so don't be worried or offended if something you have in mind isn't on the list.

Everybody has one vote, and it cannot be changed. Choose wisely!

EDIT: Clarifying on some points that people have brought up in comments.

One thing people are pointing out is that multiplayer is too obvious a point on this list. I'm just going to post below a response I gave to another user:

"I left in some of these 'obvious' choices in case we're missing certain types of players. Personally, I've never cared about multiplayer in almost every game I've ever played. I play games for the single-player story experience. Including multiplayer on the poll list allows us to see if there are people who simply care about other aspects of the game with no regard for multiplayer, which is clearly an aspect of the game that is hurting the most."

It's very easy to have inwardly focused opinions about what needs to happen from your own perspective. Almost everyone is guilty of some sort of bias to some degree, but no one ever wants to admit that. As I said in the original post "these are primarily being posted to make sure we're not missing anything". Everything about the way you guys react, post, and contribute is being taken into account and helps educated us about what's going on in our community and with our game. Hopefully you're all taking this with a grain or two of salt, and aren't legitimately under the belief that we've posted these polls without expecting to see a lot of attention given to a few specific choices.

To address people bringing up pistons/rotors, Lord Clang, and general bugginess all needing to be one category: I had also considered this before posting. These are separated because of the possibility that some people "Are cool with general bugginess, but just want to see rotors and pistons fixed" or "Don't care about pistons and rotors because I don't use them, I just wanted my ship to stop clanging". And then there are people that just want "General bugginess" to be taken care of. There are a lot of perspectives to consider, and we are not ignoring the fact that all three of these choices have collective value.

Hopefully this clears some things up.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Stryfe Trainee Engineer

Definitely multiplayer functionality.

As a general PvP'er in most games I play, I've never really cared to play it in this game, and have yet to do so. If we could run 30man+ servers, I would absolutely love to build up somewhere, and have massive, issue-free battles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I23I7 ME Tester

beep...beep...beep

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Performance?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Wouldn't' piston and rotor issues fall under "Lord Clang"?

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

I chose multiplayer. As cool as Rotors and Pistons can be. I've been able to manage builds without them as well as when I do use them, sparingly enough that they don't or can't cause issues.

But multiplayer will breath more life into the game. I had my reasons described in more detail in the first poll, its on the first page: http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/poll-1-major-features.7388695/#post-1287013744

Basically it would increase the size of our community, bring in new blood, new ideas, and new discussions. And of course it makes KSH money. Which lets be honest.. they aren't making any off of us. We've already paid. We need new peeps to buy in to give us more stuff to play with in the long run. Though its great that we have these polls. It means they want our opinions. The ones who helped make this be the success that it is. But I really do believe better multiplayer is the way to go. It will help them, it will bring us new ideas and discussion. And I'll be honest.. I really want to play those epic space battles with multi-manned ships broadsiding each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

@Thermonuklear yes by the player standards that would fall under Clang. But seems the Dev's view them as two different problems. I figure it's cause they'd be solved in different ways. Betting they're talking about current Connector problems.

Really wished I got two options on this like the other polls cause MP needs some love.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Let me look at this individually.

1.) Multiplayer functionality
    I can't talk much about this since i rarely play MP outside of Xocliw's stream but if anything i'd say performance needs to get better in this, mostly lag-related. SimSpeed needs to be a top priority above everything else. For me not a huge issue but i know it's important.

2.) Piston and rotor issues
    While they're a major problem in so far as they tend to not do as they're told it's at least easy to ignore this problem by simply not using them.

3.) General bugginess
    Considering there is no "Performance"-option in the poll (presumably because it's already being worked on hard, which i find absolutely terrific!) i will lump it into this one and will use my vote for it. Imo Rotor/Piston issues and Lord Clang should probably have been baked into this option to slim down the poll.

4.) Enemy and environmental hazard balancing
    I generally balance this by turning them off. Not a huge deal.

5.) Lord Clang (things exploding for no reason and collision detection issues)
    Collision Detection has been a nightmare for me, particularly when trying to fill gaps between grids (for example when using the Rotor Trick); however, since the focus of this option is clearly on detonation i would just use option 3.) for it.

6.) Ground vehicles/wheel functionality
    I don't use them so i can't speak to what does or does not ail them.

7.) “I’d rather Keen focus on adding more features”
    I am fine with waiting for new features.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Howitz Junior Engineer

Yes it would haha, the poll choices sure could see some improvement but it's still a good idea to have a poll like that

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Potter Apprentice Engineer

If I could have picked sim speed I would have, as others here have said already. I'm currently building in a creative game with two large grids with around 8,000 blocks a piece and we're jumping between .50 and .60 sim speed.

However, multiplayer is just as big of an issue. This game is so much fun PvP or even PvE with a group. Having 20 or more people play on a server has always been a dream of mine. I've never played a game where multiplayer added so much to the experience. Back when I hosted a server we had four factions of four or more people each and we had all kinds of trading and wars going on. Despite dealing with the tremendous sim speed loss, it was still undeniably fun. If you guys can make sim speed rock solid or even just stay above .8, it would make a huge difference in gameplay.

Those two things are what I would really love to see this game improve on.

11. anders w Apprentice Engineer

there is no SE without pistons and rotors in my mind.
    but i imagine to get them working perfectly, clang and his minions, along with mp must be taken care of :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Acolyte Apprentice Engineer

Conveyor system performance is my biggest beef, but then I am building a large ship in a single-player world, which isn't typical of everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Corundum Guy Apprentice Engineer

Oh, the agony of choice... General bugginess is a nice catch-all. Multiplayer performance is probably the biggest single problem for a large section of players. Wheels, pistons and rotors sometimes annoy me, but I can work around them (even if only by not using them in certain situations). Clang only manifests itself for me when I use wheels, pistons and rotors, so for me that point is redundant.
    Balancing and new features I'm patient about. Though had I been asked to write that list I would have included "lack of endgame content/mechanics".

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Potter Apprentice Engineer

This. Absolutely agreed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wicorel Senior Engineer

I would call this "Lack of progression" From early to end. There is no feel of progression.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Merandix Junior Engineer

I'm just going to assume multiplayer is going to 'win' hands down. So what to do after that? Well, while I did vote for my trusty rotors and pistons... I'd actually shovel all votes from rotors pistons and general bugginess, and lord Clang on one big heap.

I'm somewhat convinced that the answer really is 'all of the above prior to adding more features'. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I got thrown off by this being a single choice only.
    I voted 'Lord Clang', but it was actually my second choice.
    My first is multiplayer.

• Late Late x 1
  18. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I feel like Multiplayer should have been left off. Obviously that should be fixed. :)

I picked hazard balancing, because Meteors are finally decent, but they could still be more interesting, like burning up harmlessly in an atmosphere, but being dangerous in space to give planets and space a bigger distinction. Also we need the Cyberhounds back in a structured way as an antagonist.

They've always reminded me of the Mobile Autonomous Swords from the film Screamers, and if they spawned from factories like pirate drones spawn from pirate bases, and you didn't see them much unless you were near one, and you could take it out to stop them, it would be far more interactive and interesting than it is now. Especially if the factories didn't broadcast their location like the pirates do, so you had to search for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Nemesismax Trainee Engineer

I'd love to pick pistons and rotors but multiplayer functionality weights heavier than that. Besides, I get the feeling that fixing multiplayer will improve pistons and rotors in a way that we'll be able to use them in MP.

20. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Actually I think it belongs. Some people, like myself, don't care about MP, so it's valid I would not want to choose that option (if it's not listed, it's not an option to not choose).

That said, I would have chosen it (despite my mistake earlier), as I understand that would still improve many things, and get more players playing.

21. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

The trouble with putting MP on this, aside from it being something that obviously needs fixing if fixing is possible, is that every bit of bug fixing is going to benefit EVERYONE, including the multiplayer people. So just about every other option, at some point, trickles down into "improved / fixed Multiplayer", which does muddy the water a bit in terms of opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Agreed.

I feel like if multiplayer is even an option in the game at all, it should work as expected with little to no desync and lag problems.

Again, I would have voted for sim speed had it been an option but that kind of also goes without saying I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. FatalPapercut Senior Engineer

Voted focusing on adding more features. You don't paint and detail your car if the next step in your plan is to strip off half the parts and replace them with new ones anyway. Leave the bugfixing* until there are no more bugs to add. Besides, some bugs might even become new features. Rotor head swapping, anyone?

*Excluding, of course, any game breaking bugs that prevent playing at all, such as crashes to desktop or freezes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Biggest problem is not listed:

Breaking stuff in patches and being slow to never getting it back to the previous state or better.

That would include multiplayer, rotors/pistons, wheel suspension, 3rd person view, crashing being rare and more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

"All of the above" should be an option...

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Spets Master Engineer

remove clang

he is not a lord, he is not the king, he is not a god, he is just the annoying dumb kid that never learns a leason

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 3
  27. Mikemc Trainee Engineer

'Lord Clang'
    Forget multiplayer and constructing things, there is no point in adding durability if the game can't even detect when you've hit something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Harrekin Master Engineer

Biggest problem?

Progress all the way to large ship...

Nothing to go do with it then.

29. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Build a larger ship?

30. Harrekin Master Engineer

I play survival mostly, I tend to avoid "tediously large".

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.