Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Poll: Do You Use Ingame Scripts?

Discussion in 'General' started by Malware, Jan 21, 2017.

?

Do You Use Ingame Scripts?

1. I _use_ scripts but I do not write them myself

86 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. I write my own scripts

81 vote(s)
    44.5%
  3. I don't use scripts (please exlain below)

15 vote(s)
    8.2%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Malware Master Engineer

I don't know how representative this poll will be, not much I suspect... but I'm really curious as to how many people of the community actually use ingame scripts.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity :D

NOTE: If you're capable of writing your own scripts (and do), "I write my own scripts" is your choice even if you use others' scripts as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

Voted " use but dont write them".
    No C# skills, so i use wonderful stuff from community.
    Actually scripts keep my interest in SE.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I've used a few scripts from time to time but certainly can't write them. I really would like to get more involved in them though.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I use scripts, my own, and ones written by others. My own stuff is usually motion control with a little bit of navigation telemetry (position and orientation stuff, not autopilots) and some custom sequencing for pmws or ship printers, and a little quality of life stuff like battery and jump drive charge percent, tank fill percent, etc.
    That said, if i need inventory and production management, i use TIM.
    If i want a capable autopilot, i get some of wicorel's stuff.
    Ive fiddled with marmos, and will again when it gets the piston release (ksh bugs permiting)
    Those three i tend to control through one of my own scripts, or just leave them as stand alone proccesses. other stuff from the workshop ill dig into, chop out the bits my project needs, then slap together a bunch of them to make a mongrel script that really only works for a specific build in a specific scenario. those of course, never see the workshop again because while the mongrel is mine, its stitched together from the dismembered limbs of other folks ip.

Tldr: ingame scripts=good, not enough options on survey.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Malware Master Engineer

@Sinbad Then your choice would be "I write my own scripts". That applies whether you use others' or not, that's not relevant - it's the capability I'm after.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

I think now with multi grid control we will see an increase in usage, so much automation I would like to do...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Malware Master Engineer

Well, mostly I'm curious how many non-scripters use scripts. The rest is really just windowdressing... Interesting windowdressing, but still :D

@LFCavalcanti Yes, you may be right about that.

8. Krovennan Apprentice Engineer

I don't use scripts, same reason why I don't use mods. All it takes is one change (not even an intentional one) to break it and everything goes wrong. I've started using timers to directly influence things without scripting blocks, but thus far, nothing of mine has used mods or scripts in any capacity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Malware Master Engineer

Scripts break a lot less than mods though, for the very simple reason that ingame scripting is a vanilla feature. We can count on one hand the number of intentional breakages that has ever happened to ingame scripts, and probably the same number unintentional and subsequently fixed breakages. Most of the other problems with IGs were during the days of the old compiler, were behavior was... strange. Now that's not an issue.

In short: Mods are trying to go beyond what the game can ordinarily do. Scripts only use what the game already can do. Breaking mods may break the game. Breaking scripts just stops the specific programmable block from running... and that's it. So running scripts is a lot safer than running mods...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. anders w Apprentice Engineer

i don't use scripts - if i can do without.
    i'm one of the players who's been here since the beginning and i guess a little part of me considder it cheating compared to how the game once was.
    also always felt some pride in making things work without them. although the builds often end up being much more complex.

and there's ofcourse the fact that i haven't had the patience to realy learn how to ;)

what would be nice though, if possible, would be a dropdown list in the pb with a few predefined scrips for intergrid comunication. like activate a timer on another grid or so.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I use scripts on virtually every ship I release but I don't know how to write them. I can occasionally work out which bit to edit to get my desired result but I can't write my own. I have used the scripting website someone linked on Reddit however.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Malware Master Engineer

To me that's like saying "I won't use ship drills because they didn't use to be there before"... :p
    Ingame scripts are as vanilla a feature as ship tools and turrets.

That's what the workshop is for ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mos Apprentice Engineer

Scripting, the thing that keeps me hooked. It adds -SO- many possibilities to the game it's crazy!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

I made my first script just to control airlocks so I did not lose air to space.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I basically just use what @Sinbad writes for me, I just supply the insane hardware to be given motion control usually by digi's mod.

That said marmos, recently went mod free because they added some basic user controls but I don't think we have full keyboard access yet, so it's kinda limited to simpler machines....

Not that I can currently so ANY work with small grid sub grids atm without having them instantly explode...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

I use a fair few scripts, mostly weaponising scripts for PMW's and rotor Turrets but also a few others as well sch as inventory sorters and the like. I can't write my own and use them to facilitate functions that I cannot otherwise achieve with timers alone.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

i use them. a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jzuken Apprentice Engineer

I don't use ingame scrips because I'm not familiar with Space Engineers API. If I knew how to write them, I'd definitely use them, as some of the projects I have now become so complex, that they would benefit from those scripts and a lot of my ships have programmable block installed, so I can script them when I get familiar with scripting or someone else could script them with whatever he wants.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Malware Master Engineer

@Jzuken You don't need to know the API to use them though? There are some good scripts on the workshop, why don't you use those?

20. Starfang42 Trainee Engineer

I've written a script or two for myself, back before I took an extended break from the game. One I remember best is a control/speed limiter script for an auto-digger ship. Haven't written anything for my current world, but I am using TIM for inventory management, since the inventory sorter mod I was using seems a bit finnicky, and I like the ore quotas (not 100% sold on the component quoatas at this time. I'll probably only set up assemblers for the most commonly needed components)

• Like Like x 1
  21. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

If I coiuld write scripts...I would :)

There are loads of useful things that scripts do for me, and I am sure I could do a lot more if I could write basic scripts for myself, but it would be one steep learning curve I fear. With no C# programming experience, just some basic knowledge of Java, I think I would be going in over my head. Much respect to those who can and who share the useful things they do.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Malware Master Engineer

@FlakMagnet You'd be surprised... Java and C# isn't really all that different. If you understand some Java, I'm certain you could learn C#.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

I use several scripts for almost all my ships and stations. For the most part these are not my scripts however I do write some simple functions for personal use.

• Like Like x 1
  24. gothosan Junior Engineer

I'm writing scripts, obviously :p
    And currently stuck on one or two or maybe three >.<

• Like Like x 1
  25. hellokeith Apprentice Engineer

I write my own, though not in a long time. Would be nice to have the helper document regularly maintained like it used to be.

I don't find workshop scripts very useful. Most of them require way too much setup with many required blocks and blocknames, timers and timeractions. If it feels like work for me, I won't do it, and I know that less-experienced coders/scripters won't.

edit: btw megaprops to @Malware @Jimmacle @rexxar and others who made PB intergrid comms possible.. total game changer, especially for lone wolf PVPers like me

• Like Like x 1
  26. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

I don't use them because 1: I don't know C#, and got annoyed enough with MatLab to not want to learn another language, and 2: I have satellite internet in rural Georgia (yet when I bring up making the campaign off-line playable folks don't seem to get it). The only reason I could even play the campaign was using the college's internet. Also, I just use timers when I need them, button panel combinations when they work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

I use scripts more now since I discovered steamworkshop downloader. Basically the problem I had was, when I did download a script, it could either never show up, or take days to show up. Now I don't have that problem, as I no longer have to wait for the steam servers to work. I've written some of my own scripts, I've edited other peoples scripts, and the scripts I use range from telling me which direction I'm drifting, to enemy A.I. drones to practice against. I used to use automated mining drones, but for the lag they produce vs the amount of ore they bring back, they just can't compete against a modified mining carriage.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I have used a few scripts for displaying ship info on lcds in my bridge, and more recently had to dive in in order to get the rotors to do what I wanted. Timer blocks wouldn't cut it.

After doing that, I intend to use scripting for more stuff. The release of the inter-grid communication is such a neat form has me insipred and I intend to make some things with it.
    Only thing holding me back is my ability to read the documentation, which is basically zero.

• Like Like x 1
  29. noxLP Junior Engineer

I write my own scripts but there's some time i'm not scripting anymore (of course i use other users scripts too).

• Like Like x 1
  30. Levits Senior Engineer

I don't use them. Too much cycling through websites and pages of how-to's, when all I want is to play the game. And downloading stuff for a game for content that should be in it regardless all the time doesn't sit well in my mind. Will wait till they add a list of default scripts to the programming block itself. Until the, I'm getting pretty good with timers.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.