Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Poll: Do You Use Ingame Scripts?

Discussion in 'General' started by Malware, Jan 21, 2017.

?

Do You Use Ingame Scripts?

1. I _use_ scripts but I do not write them myself

86 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. I write my own scripts

81 vote(s)
    44.5%
  3. I don't use scripts (please exlain below)

15 vote(s)
    8.2%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cthulhu616 Trainee Engineer

You're welcome :)

2. Zoladen Apprentice Engineer

I feel dirty saying this being that I write programs primarily in c# for a living, but I don't really use scripts. Not because I have anything against them, but I've just been far too lazy to do so. Which feels completely counter productive since I can surely automate some things and give myself more time, but... eh. I'll get around to it at some point probably. Just like I'll get around to installing some new electrical sockets in the house and some new lighting...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Malware Master Engineer

@Zoladen Couldn't decide whether to use "like" or "funny"... I feel ya, man :D

4. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Try Reddit maybe?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Malware Master Engineer

I won't touch reddit with a ten-meter pole... :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. damoran Junior Engineer

I use some of the more mild scripts (mmaster LCD script) but nothing much beyond that yet. I was planning to use RDav's automated player made turret script to make some larger turrets on my capital ships. He makes it so easy to use I feel like I should have to pay him for it somehow.

Although I must admit anytime I'm using a script I fear somewhere down the road I'll be in a multiplayer game and some pirate that writes code will be able to remote into my ship and take it over locking me in the bridge until he comes to kill me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Malware Master Engineer

Not possible. But interesting fear...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  8. Xanthyn Trainee Engineer

I use scripts written by others and do a lot of simplified scripting through the "Easy Automation" script by Coren. I feel strongly that the Easy Automation script fills a gap that should already be in vanilla - that is to say a simplified way to set up logic that doesn't rely on actual C#. However, as awesome as Easy Auto is, it has limitations that could be easily overcome if there was a vanilla simple scripting feature rather than a "code within a code" if you follow my meaning.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

Scripts for me are too complex to set up and use, it takes a lot of work. It feels too clunky to use an interface when you have to assign certain actions to the bottom control bar, I can't think of the name of it right now :p, it's too bad you couldn't use your mouse and click on various parts of the interface.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

I haven't played Survival for a while, only Creative. So, I only use scripts for aestethic features, like MMaster's LCD Script (to show inventory percentages) and Floor Plan Script (currently decomissioned).

Other than that, I'm oldschool when it comes to Survival and I play (or used to, precisely) mostly manually, i.e. no automated Drones and ships. But I confess that if Drone functionality improves (and becomes stable enough to be useable), I'd like to use them for patrol duties.

EDIT1: text added

• Like Like x 1
  11. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

I write some scripts, but release few. Last year, I released a world/scenario that relied on scripts to make the pirates more interesting/explodey. In under a month a change to the API eviscerated that world and I decided to scale back my scripting activities (and play FO4 & ARK).

As it happens, taking a semi-break from SE/scripting has paid off in my not wasting more time with workarounds for drones to determine surface elevation, obstruction proximity, and IGC. Now with the much anticipated antenna UDP I think I will allocate more time to SE scripting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I use other's scripts. There are some really great ones out there that do so much that either wasn't intended or cover a deficit the devs either overlooked or just don't have the man-power to cover.

I also write my own. My coding skills were pretty primitive (think Commodore 64 BASIC) and I had one class in Java back in 2002. But knowing of the power of C# scripting in SE made me want to dive in and get a little wet. Each script is a learning experience. I generally make multi-function scripts to cover the areas where timer blocks just won't cover... operators and logic.

I prefer using King's SE solution rather than anything else. It's a good little scripting environment specifically built for SE. I forget the name, but someone else has taken over updating it (three cheers).

I've gone as far as creating my own drone scripts that base waypoints on planetary centers and allows the drones to offset heights when attacking at long range as well as to avoid colliding with targets by creating a height offset. Other scripts I've done control LCDs and updating information within one LCD (there's one in the workshop but I prefer to roll my own).

Another script changes the naming of cargo containers on the fly. Used in conjunction with Taleden's Inventory Manager, I can adjust the load-out of my missile frigate depending on how I want to arm up (planetary attack, space combat, etc.).

I'm not sure why Malware is looking for this information but if he's requesting it, there's a definite decision being pondered.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Malware Master Engineer

Sorry, no... just good, old-fashioned curiosity :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. haximodor92 Trainee Engineer

I can only write some very simple script, but yes I do.

Most cases I use others script:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Uhuh....

16. torgo Apprentice Engineer

I make heavy use of some of the scripts others have released to the workshop (and thank you for them!). Seeing them makes me kick myself for deciding to not want to learn yet another new language 25 years ago... I need to find something I want done that someone hasn't already done a brilliant job of doing so I can force myself to learn. Either that, or get my 6 year old to do it. He already has better photoshop skills than I do.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tachyon Trainee Engineer

I write my own ones but find it very tedious as I have to switch between VS and SE all the time.
    It feels alien and poorly integrated for an ingame feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Malware Master Engineer

Ok, is starting to look like this poll has run its course and at least here on the forums, almost as many people create scripts as only use scripts. That's awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Scripting isn't for everyone. There's a lot of logic and problem solving involved. There are A LOT of players who can't even touch down an atmospheric lander without creating a yard sale to be cleaned up by a server admin three times a day.

Don't play to the least common denominator. Don't dumb down the programmable block or at least use an out-of-game visual scripting tool. Let them eat copy n paste!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Malware Master Engineer

And you're telling me this because...?

"Don't dumb down the programmable block"? What does that even mean? If dumbing down means making the API easier to use, then yes, the programmable block API should be "dumbed down" because its current iteration is... less than optimal. Not that it's gonna happen.

I wasn't joking or disseminating. This poll really was just for my own curiosity's sake and nothing else. I have no say in what will and what won't be implemented in the game as far as scripting goes. I do not work for Keen.

21. Jzuken Apprentice Engineer

If you think of yourself as that kind of a "tough programmer" that doesn't like things getting easier to use, go write some programs on Malbolge.

22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Nope. I'm saying that your average player probably doesn't even want to get into the kiddy pool let along swim with the sharks. I'm in the kiddy pool.

23. kittle Senior Engineer

you need a 4th option:
    I use other scripts AND i write my own scripts

24. Malware Master Engineer

No. As I said in post 1, if you can write your own scripts, then that's your choice regardless of whether you use others' scripts or not. Otherwise it wouldn't tell me anything. I'm specifically interested in the relation between those who use but can't write and those who can write.

25. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

It'd be interesting to see how or if the results would change when asking in different places. People wanting to write scripts are going to need access to information on how to do this in most cases. These forums have a lot of useful information, and I would expect larger numbers of coders here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Jzuken Apprentice Engineer

Well, I've just got into scripting and trying to make my own first script work.

http://dco.pe/vsb/ that someone posted here before is really great for a start, but I feel like Space Engineers need a much better guide for scripting and a better documentation.

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Let me just +1 that comment. Yes. Someone has to be keeper of the flame. Better documentation all the way around would be helpful for not only player-programmers but for Keen's staff as well. Perhaps call it "Klang University"?

28. GravelProducer Trainee Engineer

I seldom use scripts, but when I do, I write my own.
    Mainly for minor stuff like making the solar panels on my base follow the sun.

• Like Like x 1
  29. JoeTheDestroyer Junior Engineer

I write my own scripts, but seldom use scripts written by others. I'm too picky, so I usually find others' code either too complicated or overly simple, so I end up writing things myself...

I can't imagine any of us don't want better documentation.

I just don't want it now, when things are still likely to change. If we already had better documentation, then adding any new features would also require updating that documentation. Increasing the amount of work a prospective feature requires reduces the chances we will ever get said feature. I will (for now) gladly trade having to read the source as documentation in exchange for having a higher chance of more features. Though as we get nearer to end of beta, I will be less willing to make this tradeoff...

• Like Like x 1
  30. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Better documentation means more work for someone. But better documentation means less mistakes and bugs in updates. Knowing how changes are going to affect the other parts of the code would be much more effective than to make changes and then see what breaks. IMHO.

So great documentation IS a labor saver.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.