Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Poll on glass

Discussion in 'General' started by Duckroll, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Duckroll Trainee Engineer

2. Timotei~ Apprentice Engineer

I don't mind a little dirt in my glasses. But the problem with the current ones is they actually "glow in the dark".
    This make them very hard to see through in the dark. [insert screenshot of windows in the dark]
    The problem is not the texture but the rendering.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

I like being able to see. There are many things that are detrimental to that desire in this game.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I'd always go for clean glass but keen could easily compromise and add dirty windows and clean windows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. HurrayItsRaining Trainee Engineer

My preference was slightly dirty. I also like the compromise of having the glass take "damage" near voxels where the deformation is scratches/dirt and can be repaired with welder or if keen wants to add another tool. This will tell people how much service a craft has seen.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

that'd be awesome flying,floating or driving around in a massive dirty rust bucket.

7. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

As far as i'm concerned: it's glass. If it's not clean and transparent on both sides someone isn't doing their job.

Edit: The "Vocal Minority"-phenomenon is a thing, sure, but if there's ONE topic in the SE-community that seems to be a unifying force it's glass. (And Ladders.) Yes, there's a @Stardriver907 or two here and there that like it that way, and after already being implemented i don't think Keen should take it away from them; there's always room for more Window Block options because we're literally talking about copypasting the existing blocks; the scratches and dead, smeared bugs are ONE LINE OF CODE they'd have to change.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Logi Apprentice Engineer

How hard could it be to add another set of windows next to those we have now. Clean and dirty, everybodys happy and they have both of those models already. It can't be that hard to add something as simple as that.

9. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

How do you like your glasses / sunglasses / car windshield / ocean view hotel window?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

With a pale skin red-head in near proximity with a bit of curve to her bum.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
  11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

How... oddly specific.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

There's no accounting for taste, people say.

13. TwoHedWlf Trainee Engineer

I'd rather a bit of dirt and scratches on it, or better a bit of frost and condensation and some faint reflections. As it is now the glass is basically invisible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If it's my ocean view fantasy... I'm going to live it. I didn't know gingers were tasteless.

15. Spets Master Engineer

super clean pristine glass is not a good option, so many times I thought there was no glass while trying to put a block, or trying to enter somewhere and smashed my face on the glass, or shooting a turret and then realizing it was a glass in the middle after seeing the bullets marks. And all this was playing Escape from Mars Survival Scenario.
    but of course, Marek Glass is not good either. imo it should be slightly dirty and/or scratched. or maybe an option to chose the tint color, opacity, I donno?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Levits Senior Engineer

remember the good ole days when the glass reflected everything and the frame-rates were those fleeting things that people would occasionally getting more than a handful of?

Clear glass that I can see through. Dirty glass when it's damaged or on a planet for a prolonged period of time. Or even maybe when you are mining or near a dust cloud you'd have to "clean" (<aka weld) the glass to get it clean again. But right now, the glass as it currently stands, is filthier than what's on my truck... and I live on a dirt road where the only water they ever see is when it rains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

They can keep the glass as it is as long as they introduce curved glass blocks and the same glass for small grids to vanilla.

18. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Actually since it's a texture it's actually ZERO LINES OF CODE. Literally zero. Used to be a mod that fixed it, but for some reason it doesn't work anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Can't tell that. Never got any luck with ginger gals. Never tried TBH, since I'm a red-haired dude, and I like variability. My wife is a brunette :D

20. Acolyte Apprentice Engineer

In design terms dirty can tolerate clean, but clean cannot tolerate dirty.

If you want dirty glass and there is only clean available there are other ways to achieve that grungy look in a spaceship design.

If you want clean glass and only dirty is available you are screwed, you have to do a windowless design.

I voted clean.

21. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

I imagine dirt, scratches, and scuffs were probably added as a layer. What if the color picker UI had an extra slider for "wear and tear" that determined the opacity of that layer? Then it would be trivial to have clean windows, dirty windows, filthy windows, or even have creeping filth as the ship/base ages and cleaned by "painting" it (or a PB script to change block color).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Levits Senior Engineer

Tinted windows with selectable color tint? <hell yes please! :woot:

But I find it strange that we can have voxel-based blocks that deform when damaged, but it's harder (or more labor intensive) to have windows setup to change texture/layers if exposed to atmosphere/damage. They just kinda go "POOF". At least they do show bullet holes when hit... <right? kinda wondering about that now...

23. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

and rockets leave scorch marks.

wonder could they use that feature for something like that?
    take some of the wear and tear mod but instead of direct damage it applies a decel that gets worse and wor-...ughh...nope ...if ships are too big...too many decals would have to be applied and so......

tOO DaMaGing on sIM SpEEd.
    tOo HaRd FoR Coputers to dO aLl tHat.
    [​IMG]

99% of the time its like that.

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Glass windows are the only way to view out of a large ship while piloting in first-person. You could use cameras or an exposed cockpit (no air pressure). But that really ruins the entire point of piloting in first person.

Glass serves a functional purpose. If we need to smudge the glass for those who aren't paying attention... like a toddler around a sliding glass door... then just do it to the corners and around the frame... LIGHTLY.

The other option is to create a second set of glass that's more expensive to build that's CLEAR, can take more damage, and is meant for piloting.

Cheap glass weighs less, takes less resources: dirty
    Expensive glass, more protection, more resources: clear

As glass is damaged, you can introduce cracks, smudges, bullet holes, etc. I have no problem with glass being hard to see out of when it gets DAMAGED.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

I have noticed that when a pressurized room is opened/vented, the air movement is visual but doesn't necessarily sweep one off one's feet and blown out. If that were the case then cracking/fracturing/breached glass could take on a whole new set of cockpit worries. Ejected without pressing "F" could cause headaches for sure.

26. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, while in a Zero-G environment or one where you are being accelerated around, you're probably wearing a harness. Without one, you'd probably get splatted on the glass like an oversized bug just from g-forces alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Echillion Senior Engineer

Just jumped into a small grid ship today ( I was enjoying the large grid base windows) and went 1st person view and OMG! Keen have done it again why cant you leave the various glass surfaces especially the ones we need to see out of eg cockpits alone? its like a chimp has gone mad with MS paint or someone smeared the windows with a oily rag and a can of black spray paint? its bloody awful.

28. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Voted dirty, I like the heavy industrial look like these ships have been places. To me a clean spotless ship, says it's been babied in a hangar and is a virgin ship on her maiden voyage. Space is so filthy, I mean we wouldn't have a moon without cosmic dust settling from asteroid impacts on Earth. It doesn't make sense and kind ruins the immersion for me when we got all these dirty blocks but windows are spotless. specially with space rocks smacking against them half the time when I'm mining.

IDK maybe I played too much dead space, but I love the Raw industrial equipment in that game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. Mikiy Trainee Engineer

When i build a new ship i usually want it to look it like that too.. all new, shiny, clean.. i wish it could even smell like that too ;p
    So the glass.. clean and the outside part tinted it is for me.

Anyhow i also see a need for the not new-looking glass.. when playing some scenario like dockrolls escape from mars scenario where you find some old/abandoned ships, it totally makes sense that they look old/scratchy/rusty and not shiny/clean and new. Would be cool if SE had a texture tool like empyrion, where you can texture each block (or even the sides of a each block) with some overlay textures.. that way one coulda possibly have some transparent textures with scratches to put on windows for those cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. pizza? pizza! PIZZA!! Trainee Engineer

exactly only make a "sticker"wich makes it dark from the side it was put on, and make it manually damageable, so you'll see wear and thro two sided clean glass

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.